ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I’m a German citizen looking to get DUAL German-British citizenship - is it still possible?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Howdy10000
Newly Registered
Germany

I’m a German citizen looking to get DUAL German-British citizenship - is it still possible?

Post by Howdy10000 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 pm

Hi, I’ve been in the UK for over 20 years now with indefinite leave to remain in the U.K. and settled status. If I apply before the Brexit transition period is over, will I be eligible for dual citizenship (get British citizenship whilst also holding onto German citizenship) as i believe once U.K. has left the EU officially in January 2021, German will no longer allow its citizens dual citizenship with the U.K.

Please only answer if you know for definite rather than guessing or speculating. Thanks a lot :)

I’ve tried contacting the relevant embassies but they’ve not been super helpful.

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Re: I’m a German citizen looking to get DUAL German-British citizenship - is it still possible?

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Tue May 26, 2020 12:29 am

If I have a Germany citizenship I will never look for something else will be very much enough for me indefinite leave to remain :shock:

alterhase58
Germany

Re: I’m a German citizen looking to get DUAL German-British citizenship - is it still possible?

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 am

Refer to https://uk.diplo.de/uk-de/02/faq-inform ... 4-16-panel
FAQ Point 14. If you have applied or been granted British citizenship before the end of the transition period you will retain German Citizenship.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 27, 2020 3:35 am

I have reproduced a Google Translate translation of the relevant points of the FAQ below for reference.
14. Will I lose my German citizenship by acquiring British citizenship?
According to the German citizenship law (since 28.08.2007), a German does not lose his / her German citizenship if he / she acquires the citizenship of an EU member state or Switzerland. If you are naturalized by the UK authorities before the end of the transition period for the United Kingdom's exit from the EU, or if you applied for naturalization, you will not lose your German citizenship and you do not need a residence permit. The decisive factor here is the time of application, not the time of naturalization (induction ceremony). Proof of the date of application must be kept (see question 16).
16. How can I prove that I applied for UK citizenship before the Brexit date?
If you apply for a new German passport, you will have to indicate that you have acquired British citizenship on application, and if you apply for naturalization after the Brexit date, you will also have to prove that you made the application before the end of the transition period and, due to the transitional arrangement, the German one Have therefore not lost citizenship.

There are three ways to do this:

Either if you apply for UK citizenship online, by printing out the received and dated receipt for the required online payment;
or, if you exceptionally apply for UK citizenship in paper form, by printing out the dated letter of confirmation of the application sent to you by the Home Office;
or, if you are applying very shortly before the Brexit date, the application was received by the home office before the Brexit date, but the date of the confirmation letter is after the Brexit date, a written confirmation from the home office that your application is before Brexit date has been received there. You would have to apply for this confirmation separately at the home office.
Please keep this proof permanently and securely in order to be able to use it at a later point in time, e.g. when applying for a German passport, to be able to prove that you have not lost German citizenship in accordance with Section 25 (1) sentence 1 of the Citizenship Act by acquiring British citizenship. Regardless of this, it is generally recommended that all records and documents related to the application for UK citizenship are carefully and permanently kept.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 am

@secret.simon
thanks for providing this - I believe the embassy has the page page in English as well but can't locate it just now - it's certainly useful for all members to be able to read these requirements.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed May 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Hello

I know a few people with German and British citizenship. The naturalisation as British has to happen before the transition period. The people I know applied for British citizenship even before the Brexit so they kept the German no questions asked.

However, I know a German who applied for US citizenship and kept both passports. In that case, he had to ask for a specific authorisation from German authorities before applying for the US citizenship.

If you can apply for the British citizenship NOW, you may be able to get it before end 2020.