ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good character Questionnaire after applying for citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

BoyTed
Somalia

Good character Questionnaire after applying for citizenship?

Post by BoyTed » Sat May 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Hello all,
I Applied for citizenship last year December 2019 was and got sent Questionnaire as i was ilegal until January 2012 and for that reason iam not a good character but still applied and wasn't refused or granted but instead got sent the following.
There are 8 questions ive put below.
Please help with any advice.
Thanks.

Dear XXXX

I refer to your application for naturalisation as a British citizen.  One of the requirements for citizenship is that the applicant is of good character. ‘Good character’ is not defined in the British Nationality Act 1981 but the applicant is expected to have shown due regard for the laws of this country.  Where an applicant has not been compliant with UK Immigration laws in the ten year period prior to the date of an application the application will normally be refused.

This is explained in Booklet AN which accompanies the application form for naturalisation and in the Home Office staff instructions published on our website (go to - Policy and law > Staff Guidance, instructions and country information > Nationality instructions > Volume 1 > Chapter 18 > Annex D Paragraph 9.7 (b).

According to our records, you were in the UK without leave to remain under the immigration laws between 10/09/04 when you entered the UK. Until 12/01/12 when you were granted Discretionary Leave. It would therefore appear that you were not compliant with UK immigration laws during this period and may not meet the good character requirement for naturalisation.

In order that we may give further consideration to your application, please complete the enclosed questionnaire and return it to us with the appropriate documentary evidence.

You must reply to this email by 12/06/20.

The documents / information are required to demonstrate to the Secretary of State that the requirements for citizenship are met.  Failure to reply to this letter by the date given will result in the application being refused.

Yours sincerely,

X.Xxxx

CT3

Information Requested

1.What steps did you take to regularise your stay during the period in question?

Please provide copies of any available correspondence

2.Where did you live during this period and who else lived there?

Please provide all addresses in full

3.Who was responsible for paying your accommodation costs (rent, utility bills etc)?

Please provide any available supporting evidence, eg utility bills, tenancy agreements, rent statements, mortgage statements etc

4.When and where did you work during this period?

Please provide evidence eg letters from employers, P60s/P45s, statements of account if self-employed

5.When and where did you study during this period?

Please provide evidence eg letters from colleges, certificates/qualifications

6.What benefits did you receive during this period?

Please provide evidence eg notification or award, schedules of payment

7.Did you receive funds from any other source during this period?

Please provide evidence, eg bank statements, receipts.  If supported by partner/family member, original evidence of their ability to fund such support will also be required

8.Is there any other information that you wish to provide that may be relevant to your application and the assessment of your ability to meet the good character requirement?

Doublestarxx
Mood:
Nigeria

Re: Good character Questionnaire after applying for citizenship?

Post by Doublestarxx » Sun May 31, 2020 6:24 am

You seem to know the rules already regarding good character before you applied. You should have just waited till Jan 2022 to apply as it’s clear and obvious that the application is likely to be refused.
Without knowing your prior immigration history and applications it’s hard to envisage a positive outcome from this application.
You should either fill that up as truthfully as you can or ignore sending back the letter as based on the letter it clearly shows the 10year good character rule breach is most likely to affect the outcome of this decision.
If you are to respond to this letter I will advise to be cautious in your response and only respond truthfully as if you are caught up in a lie they can prove that’s deception and another 10years ban will follow.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:14 am

Doublestarxx wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:24 am
Without knowing your prior immigration history and applications it’s hard to envisage a positive outcome from this application.
See below a post the user made previously.
BoyTed wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 pm
Hello Everyone,
My first post,
Applied in 6 December 2019 biometric 16 December 2019 and iam just worried about Good Character came mid 2004 applied for Asylum at entry but was refused and disappeared i then put in fresh claim in 2009 and was granted FLR and finally ILR February 2012
My question can HO refuse me in regards to 10 year legally in the UK and ask me to apply in 2022 or will the time ive put in fresh claim 2009 be counted.
Many Thanks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Fbiboy2002
Mood:

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:52 am

You will have to answer truthfully it’s very clear from the questions that the home office want to know names of people and places you worked for and supported you during your illegal stay you will have to be caution to tell everything truthfully or accept your application to be rejected

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun May 31, 2020 3:15 pm

Catch 22 here.

They are asking broad questions not only for the period between 2010 and 2012, but all your illegal stay in the UK.

You opened the proverbial can of worms.

Now, if you respond and lie on any detail but they manage to crosscheck it and prove you are misrepresenting, you will be eligible to apply again 2030 if anything.

It's your decision really. But if I were you, I will just drop the ball at this point and let them refuse.

I don't think this letter is to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's trap to get you misrepresenting in 2020 and add a further 10-year ban.

The policy is not illegal stay during the last 10 years.

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:19 pm

BoyTed wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:44 pm
Hello all,
I Applied for citizenship last year December 2019 was and got sent Questionnaire as i was ilegal until January 2012 and for that reason iam not a good character but still applied and wasn't refused or granted but instead got sent the following.
There are 8 questions ive put below.
Please help with any advice.
Thanks.

Dear XXXX

I refer to your application for naturalisation as a British citizen.  One of the requirements for citizenship is that the applicant is of good character. ‘Good character’ is not defined in the British Nationality Act 1981 but the applicant is expected to have shown due regard for the laws of this country.  Where an applicant has not been compliant with UK Immigration laws in the ten year period prior to the date of an application the application will normally be refused.

This is explained in Booklet AN which accompanies the application form for naturalisation and in the Home Office staff instructions published on our website (go to - Policy and law > Staff Guidance, instructions and country information > Nationality instructions > Volume 1 > Chapter 18 > Annex D Paragraph 9.7 (b).

According to our records, you were in the UK without leave to remain under the immigration laws between 10/09/04 when you entered the UK. Until 12/01/12 when you were granted Discretionary Leave. It would therefore appear that you were not compliant with UK immigration laws during this period and may not meet the good character requirement for naturalisation.

In order that we may give further consideration to your application, please complete the enclosed questionnaire and return it to us with the appropriate documentary evidence.

You must reply to this email by 12/06/20.

The documents / information are required to demonstrate to the Secretary of State that the requirements for citizenship are met.  Failure to reply to this letter by the date given will result in the application being refused.

Yours sincerely,

X.Xxxx

CT3

Information Requested

1.What steps did you take to regularise your stay during the period in question?

Please provide copies of any available correspondence

2.Where did you live during this period and who else lived there?

Please provide all addresses in full

3.Who was responsible for paying your accommodation costs (rent, utility bills etc)?

Please provide any available supporting evidence, eg utility bills, tenancy agreements, rent statements, mortgage statements etc

4.When and where did you work during this period?

Please provide evidence eg letters from employers, P60s/P45s, statements of account if self-employed

5.When and where did you study during this period?

Please provide evidence eg letters from colleges, certificates/qualifications

6.What benefits did you receive during this period?

Please provide evidence eg notification or award, schedules of payment

7.Did you receive funds from any other source during this period?

Please provide evidence, eg bank statements, receipts.  If supported by partner/family member, original evidence of their ability to fund such support will also be required

8.Is there any other information that you wish to provide that may be relevant to your application and the assessment of your ability to meet the good character requirement?
This is so painful .Tories have made this immigration system ununderstandable.Many people are in that situation where they need nationality but these bureaucratic nightmare everyday twists in rules are making life difficult.Rules have no sense.All you can do is truthfully tell them whatever weird questions they have asked.All they want is money from people.This is inhuman system.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Sun May 31, 2020 4:38 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:15 pm
Catch 22 here.

They are asking broad questions not only for the period between 2010 and 2012, but all your illegal stay in the UK.

You opened the proverbial can of worms.

Now, if you respond and lie on any detail but they manage to crosscheck it and prove you are misrepresenting, you will be eligible to apply again 2030 if anything.

It's your decision really. But if I were you, I will just drop the ball at this point and let them refuse.

I don't think this letter is to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's trap to get you misrepresenting in 2020 and add a further 10-year ban.

The policy is not illegal stay during the last 10 years.
Hi,
They say this just before the questions.
The period that we are interested in is 21/05/10-26/01/12

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 pm

Hello everyone,

Ive decided to go for it and obviously answer all questions truthfully.
Will update you when i get an answer.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun May 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Good luck and please update us.

I am interested by your story because my wife is in similar situation with overstay history within the last 10 years. We nearly considered gambling the £1400 fees but we preferred to wait.

By the way: they are looking for illegal work. So they want to know how you supported yourself during these 2 years.

If you prove you didn't work, it will be good. They are not after the illegal stay on itself. The plain simple illegal stay doesn't disqualify you automatically, they would have refused you already if it was the case. They need to see if you were working or not. If you demonstrate your weren't working, you will get the citizenship, otherwise, it will be refused.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Sun May 31, 2020 11:46 pm

No i didn't work during that time.
Will update you all.
Thanks to you all.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:07 pm

Hello everyone,
To end this thread iam happy to announce that ive been granted citizenship got the envelope today decision was made on 29 of June.
Goodluck to all of you and to whoever will read this in connection with good character.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:08 pm

Hello everyone,
To end this thread iam happy to announce that ive been granted citizenship got the envelope today decision was made on 29 of June.
Goodluck to all of you and to whoever will read this in connection with good character.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Congratulations!!!

You made it :)

So we have now someone getting the citizenship while being illegal for 2 years within the last 10. Good to know! I was really worried about the letter your received.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:27 am

Hello all,
I want to stay on my thread and don't want to open a new one i have a quick question i have son the mother who is my ex wife and i are separated and his back home in my country the mother and my son never been here in the uk how can i sponsor him or whats my opinions?
Thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:29 am

How old is your son?

You will likely need to prove sole responsibility for him before being able to sponsor him.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am

Thanks for the reply secret.simon,
He's 6 years old.
Does that mean dna and proof of income?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 am

BoyTed wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am
Does that mean dna and proof of income?
No. DNA only proves biological parenthood.

As I understand it, "sole responsibility" means that you are the guiding person in the child's life and the child lives with you or your family members.

It is much easier to prove with a court order of custody of the child or a formal legal agreement between the parents as to the custody of the child.
What is sole responsibility?

A sponsoring parent must be able to show that he/she has been solely responsible for exercising parental care over the child for a substantial period. If the sponsoring parent and child are separated, the child will normally be expected to have been in the care of the sponsoring parent’s relatives rather than the relatives of the other parent. An application should normally be refused if the child has been in the care of the other parent’s relatives and the other parent lives nearby and takes an active interest in the child’s welfare.

The following factors should be considered in assessing sole responsibility:

Are the parents married / in a civil partnership?
If the parents’ marriage / civil partnership is dissolved, which parent was awarded legal custody, which includes assumption of responsibility for the child?
Where there is a custody order the ECO should take care to ensure that the issue of a settlement entry clearance to the child will not contravene the terms of the custody order. See list for countries whose custody orders can be recognised as valid in UK.
Does the marriage / civil partnership subsist, but the parents do not live together?
If the sponsoring parent migrated to the UK, how long has the sponsoring parent been separated from the child?
If the sponsoring parent migrated to the UK, what were the arrangements for the care of the child before and after the sponsoring parent migrated?
If the sponsoring parent migrated to the UK, what has been / what is the sponsoring parent’s relationship with the child?
Has the sponsoring parent consistently supported the child, either by:direct personal care; or by regular and substantial financial remittances?
By whom, and in what proportions, is the cost of the child’s maintenance borne?
Who takes the important decisions about the child’s upbringing, for example where the child lives, the choice of school, religious practice etc?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:50 am

Thanks so much Secret.Simon.
Very helpful info.
Understood.

Touba21
Newly Registered
Senegal

Post by Touba21 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm

BoyTed wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:27 am
Hello all,
I want to stay on my thread and don't want to open a new one i have a quick question i have son the mother who is my ex wife and i are separated and his back home in my country the mother and my son never been here in the uk how can i sponsor him or whats my opinions?
Thanks
Hi I read it what a journey. When I overstayed i was working to support my self . Even i met my hubby in 2003 but still looking after myself and supporting myself.
I will double check my chances. In Settled status they say you have to fulfill the 6 years . I will double check everything.
Thanks you

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:29 pm

Touba21 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm
BoyTed wrote:
Hello all,
Thanks
Hi I read it what a journey. When I overstayed i was working to support my self . Even i met my hubby in 2003 but still looking after myself and supporting myself.
I will double check my chances. In Settled status they say you have to fulfill the 6 years . I will double check everything.
Thanks you
Hello Touba,
Thank you and wish you all the best and you will be successful.
Your time will come stay strong.

Touba21
Newly Registered
Senegal

Post by Touba21 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:01 pm

BoyTed wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:29 pm
Touba21 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm
BoyTed wrote:
Hello all,
Thanks
Thanks you
Hello Touba,
Thank you and wish you all the best and you will be successful.
Your time will come stay strong.
Thanks again will keep you updated.

Pimsalma
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by Pimsalma » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Received the same questionnaire on 17.09 and filled it as best I could, and just waiting for the decision. Very stressful and I really hope it will be a positive outcome as I am sick of carrying and maintaining a suitcase worth of Home Office’s paper works over decades

Pimsalma
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by Pimsalma » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 pm

What a day, after several months worth of stress today got my approval letter (assuming that they accepted that I was illigal between 2010-2015, but they were satisfied with my responses to their questionnaires)

Many thank for the immigrationboard, without you I would probably not achieved all that

Sonu345
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Sonu345 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:19 pm

May i ask, i was failed asylum in 2001, 2008 response to home office for grant out of immigration rules, they granted 3 years discretionary leave December 2011, now i have indefinite leave, how i prove remaining years without valid leave for naturalization.

Sonu345
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Sonu345 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:22 pm

Pimsalma wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 pm
What a day, after several months worth of stress today got my approval letter (assuming that they accepted that I was illigal between 2010-2015, but they were satisfied with my responses to their questionnaires)

Many thank for the immigrationboard, without you I would probably not achieved all that
May i ask, i was failed asylum in 2001, 2008 response to home office for grant out of immigration rules, they granted 3 years discretionary leave December 2011, now i have indefinite leave, how i prove remaining years without valid leave for naturalization.