ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Allowed back to UK after previously issued LLR?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bee4birdy
Newly Registered

Allowed back to UK after previously issued LLR?

Post by bee4birdy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew the rulings when it comes to returning to the UK after previously having permanant residency.

I am an australian citizen currently living in the UK on Limited Leave to Remain residency (due to expire in October 2008). After deciding not to pursue my UK citizenship, we are moving back to Australia in October, with no plans to come back to the UK just yet.

I am wondering how this will affect us if we were to decide to return to the UK at some stage, bearing in mind that I had already been issued permanent residency.

Any advice, comments would be greatly appreciated! :)

whirly

Re: Allowed back to UK after previously issued LLR?

Post by whirly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:22 pm

bee4birdy wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew the rulings when it comes to returning to the UK after previously having permanant residency.

I am an australian citizen currently living in the UK on Limited Leave to Remain residency (due to expire in October 2008). After deciding not to pursue my UK citizenship, we are moving back to Australia in October, with no plans to come back to the UK just yet.

I am wondering how this will affect us if we were to decide to return to the UK at some stage, bearing in mind that I had already been issued permanent residency.

Any advice, comments would be greatly appreciated! :)
I'm a bit confused by your post... As far as I know, permanent residency = Indefinite Leave to Remain, not Limited Leave to Remain. What is your current visa status? It doesn't sound like ILR/permanent residency to me.

In any event, if it is ILR, read this about returning to the UK at some point in the future. Generally speaking, you will lose your ILR if you are out of the UK for more than 2 years.

Am sure other members can help you further...

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm

Limited Leave to Remain, with an expiry date of October 08 isn't permanent residence. In which case you would need to start from scratch if you wanted to return the UK once your visa has expired.