ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will I need British passport to enter the UK?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

user5877
Poland

Will I need British passport to enter the UK?

Post by user5877 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:28 pm

I have recently received my letter confirming my naturalisation application has been successful, I'm just waiting for ceremonies to resume now.

As a Polish citizen, whenever I enter or leave Poland I must present Polish travel document. My British passport won't be accepted at the border as long as I also hold Polish citizenship.

Does the law work in similar way in the UK? Will I always need to present my British passport while entering or leaving the UK?

While I have no problem with it, that would mean I would have to carry 2 passports when travelling directly between the UK and Poland. British to leave/enter UK and Polish for use at Polish border checks.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Will I need British passport to enter the UK?

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:38 am

user5877 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:28 pm
I have recently received my letter confirming my naturalisation application has been successful, I'm just waiting for ceremonies to resume now.

As a Polish citizen, whenever I enter or leave Poland I must present Polish travel document. My British passport won't be accepted at the border as long as I also hold Polish citizenship.

Does the law work in similar way in the UK? Will I always need to present my British passport while entering or leaving the UK?

While I have no problem with it, that would mean I would have to carry 2 passports when travelling directly between the UK and Poland. British to leave/enter UK and Polish for use at Polish border checks.
It think it is a standard thing for most people with dual passports to carry both passports while travelling. I don't think carrying an additional passport is such a big issue. Don't forget that brexit is coming, so you might not be allowed to travel to the UK if you cannot show that you have the right travel document
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:37 am

No, you don't need a British passport to enter the UK. You only need to convince the Immigration Officer at the border that you are a British citizen. That is of course easiest to do with a British passport.

Without a British passport or a CoE-RoA in your Polish passport (see below), be prepared for multiple hours of delay at the airport while your status as a British citizen is checked. You will be allowed in, but only after long checks.

You may also require a British passport or proof that you can enter the UK to convince airline staff to allow you to board the flight to the UK. At the moment, an EEA passport is sufficient for that, but it may not be, in the future.

If you want to avoid carrying a British passport, you can apply for a CoE-RoA in your Polish passport. But, (a) it is about 4 times more expensive than a British passport, (b) it expires along with your Polish passport and (c) if you travel abroad, you are not entitled to British consular assistance without a British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 am

I have a British and another EEA passport. When I travel, I take the first one I find. Zero issues.

Even when back in the UK, you are nearly forced now to use eGates. They scan your EEA passport and let you in no questions asked.

I went to my other EEA country a few times with the British passport, no questions asked really.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:31 am

user5877 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:28 pm
Carrying two passports is a light burden.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

user5877
Poland

Post by user5877 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks all.

I understand, it will be just more handy to carry 2 passports with me.