ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancee visa extension evidence of co-habitation - Requirements on online application form

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jrp777
Newly Registered

Requirement for providing evidence of co-habitation (First spouse visa application)

Post by jrp777 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:39 pm

Hi,

I’d be grateful if anyone could provide some clarity on which scenarios it is required to provide evidence of co-habitation.

E-LTRP.1.10. of Immigration Rules Appendix FM: family members (found on the gov.uk site) states:

“The applicant and their partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK and, in any application for further leave to remain as a partner (except where the applicant is in the UK as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) and in any application for indefinite leave to remain as a partner, the applicant must provide evidence that, since entry clearance as a partner was granted under paragraph D-ECP1.1. or since the last grant of limited leave to remain as a partner, the applicant and their partner have lived together in the UK or there is good reason, consistent with a continuing intention to live together permanently in the UK, for any period in which they have not done so.”

Does this mean that it is only required to provide evidence of co-habitation in these cases?:
- The first instance of extending an FLR (M) visa (i.e. after a 2.5-year period)
- Applying for indefinite leave to remain (After a 5-year period)

I.e. is it NOT required for:
- Fiancée visa applications (clear from the text)
- The first spouse visa application, when first switching from a Fiancée visa

My interpretation of it not being required for the first spouse visa application are:
- Reference is made to the last grant of limited leave to remain (which I presume is the first spouse visa application?). Is this distinct from further leave to remain? Does Further leave to remain refer to the application after a 2.5 year period?
- The "since entry clearance was granted under D-ECP1.1" section presumably refers to a partner entering the UK as a spouse. I can't find the text for D-ECP1.1, as it appears to be in another document.

Any clarity would be much appreciated.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Requirement for providing evidence of co-habitation (First spouse visa application)

Post by seagul » Mon May 25, 2020 9:51 pm

jrp777 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:39 pm
Does this mean that it is only required to provide evidence of co-habitation in these cases?:
- The first instance of extending an FLR (M) visa (i.e. after a 2.5-year period)
Correct
jrp777 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:39 pm
I.e. is it NOT required for:
Yes but evidences of subsisting relationship will be needed.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

jrp777
Newly Registered

Fiancee visa extension evidence of co-habitation - Requirements on online application form

Post by jrp777 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi,

My fiancée and I are currently in the process of applying for a fiancée visa extension. For clarity, we are extending because we have been unable to get married due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Whilst completing the application form, it states:

“You must provide at least 6 items of correspondence, addressed to you and your partner jointly or in both your names. The dates of the items of correspondence should be spread evenly over the whole 2 years. They should be from at least 3 different sources. If you do not have enough items in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you. For example - 4 items of correspondence in joint names to the same address and 2 items addressed to each partner at the address. In total 8 items would need to be submitted. If you and your partner have no bills or correspondence in joint names, you will need to submit 12 items (6 each) of correspondence evidencing that you reside together at the same address.”

Does this apply in our scenario for a fiancée visa extension? We only started living together after the fiancée visa was granted and in any case have been in our relationship for less than two years.

I note from E-LTRP.1.10. of the Immigration Rules Appendix FM: family members (found on the gov.uk site) that this states:

“The applicant and their partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK and, in any application for further leave to remain as a partner (except where the applicant is in the UK as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) and in any application for indefinite leave to remain as a partner, the applicant must provide evidence that, since entry clearance as a partner was granted under paragraph D-ECP1.1. or since the last grant of limited leave to remain as a partner, the applicant and their partner have lived together in the UK or there is good reason, consistent with a continuing intention to live together permanently in the UK, for any period in which they have not done so.”

Therefore, I understand that proof of cohabitation evidence is only required in these circumstances:

I.e. it is NOT required for:

This was confirmed by another poster in this post, but I’m very keen to avoid any issues with our visa extension: immigration-for-family-members/requirem ... l#p1901375

geoeng
Canada

Re: Fiancee visa extension evidence of co-habitation - Requirements on online application form

Post by geoeng » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:08 am

First, it's best to keep all posts related to your situation in one thread rather than starting a new one each time.

Second, seagul has already answered this question and that answer remains applicable now. The application form is unfortunately the same for all FLR(M) applications and the document requirements generated will therefore occasionally not apply to your situation, which would be the case here.
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

jrp777
Newly Registered

Re: Fiancee visa extension evidence of co-habitation - Requirements on online application form

Post by jrp777 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:07 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Apologies for the duplication, however I was seeking clarity in light of the information given on the application form.

Glad it's cleared up now.