ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2ND NATURALISATION REFUSAL

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sagranate
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

2ND NATURALISATION REFUSAL

Post by sagranate » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi,

I made an application for naturalisation in 2018 but was refused and the case worker said any application made before 27 January 2020 would be refused. So on 1 March 2020 I applied and I just got another refusal today stating the following:

Reasons for decision
One of the requirements for citizenship is that the applicant is of good character. ‘Good character’ is not defined in the British Nationality Act 1981 but the applicant is expected to have shown due regard for the laws of this country.
This is explained in Booklet AN which accompanies the application form for naturalisation and in the Home Office staff instructions published on www.gov.uk
For the purposes of Naturalisation as a British Citizen, we would not normally consider someone who has been in breach of the immigration laws at any time during the 10 years immediately prior to their application as being of Good Character. This includes where someone has failed to take reasonable steps to ensure they remain compliant with immigration laws.
Your application was decided on 03/06/2020 and so the 10 year period is from 04/06/2010 to 03/06/2020.
You were in the United Kingdom without permission and were therefore non- compliant between 13/08/2014 when your application for leave to remain was refused, until you became compliant on 22/10/2015 when you applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You held no valid leave in the UK until 29/02/2016.
Therefore, you are considered to have been non-compliant and in breach of UK immigration laws within the 10 years immediately before your application for citizenship was decided and do not meet the good character requirement.
The Secretary of State has discretion to disregard a breach of the immigration laws when considering the requirements for naturalisation. To make sure discretion is applied rationally and consistently, an established policy is followed. Our guidance also sets out how we would treat breaches of the immigration rules when assessing whether someone meets the good character requirement. This policy is published in the Nationality Staff Instructions at www.gov.uk/topic/immigration-operationa ... structions.
A breach of immigration laws would not normally be disregarded in any circumstances other than those defined in the policy. As you do not come within the published criteria, nor is there reason to exercise discretion exceptionally outside these criteria, your application is refused.
If you still wish to become a British citizen, a fresh application for naturalisation must be made. An application can be made at any time but you are advised to ensure, as far as possible, that the requirements are met before doing so. In this respect, I should point out that your compliance with immigration law during the 10 years immediately preceding your application date will be assessed to ensure that you can satisfy the requirements of a Naturalisation application, including the ‘Good Character’ requirement.
I cannot say in advance of an application what the outcome will be as this will depend upon all enquiries undertaken at the time to make sure that the requirements are met.
As explained in our schedule of fees, the application fee for British citizenship is not refundable and has been retained to cover the cost of handling and processing your application..
Arrangements are being made to return the sum of £80.00, which is refunded as unsuccessful applicants are not required to attend a citizenship ceremony.

Next steps
If you believe the decision to refuse your application was not soundly based on nationality law, policy or our procedures and you wish it to be reconsidered, you must complete Form NR and pay a fee.
Form NR can be obtained from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-british- citizenship-is-refused-form-nr
The current fee for reconsideration can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications
The Data Protection Act 2018 governs how we use personal data. For details of how we will use your personal information and who we may share it with please see our Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and Citizenship system at https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... on-use-in- borders-immigration-and-citizenship. This also explains your key rights under the Act, how you can access your personal information and how to complain if you have concerns.

Please can anyone help me with this as I cannot afford a lawyer at the moment. Should I use form NR as the case worker in my previous application indicated that I could apply after 27/01/2020? Or let it go TIL 2025. Thank you 🙏🏾

standrews

Re: 2ND NATURALISATION REFUSAL

Post by standrews » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:59 am

Sorry a bit irrelevant question, how you received the refusal? Did home office e-mailed or posted to you?

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:13 am

Hi Sagranate,
Sorry to hear your refusal,what's your immigration history?

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:19 am

standrews wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:59 am
Sorry a bit irrelevant question, how you received the refusal? Did home office e-mailed or posted to you?
StAndrews why do you always ask people 'Did Home Office email or post'?
Iam sorry but you are extremely rude someone got refusal and wants help but you can't help it but to ask the most silliest question.
I mean wow!

sagranate
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

Post by sagranate » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:05 am

Hi,

From 2003 to 2009 I was on a student Visa then I applied for post study visa which got refused In October 2009 but I didn’t get the refusal letter until 24 December 2009 however the home office at that point did not care about the postal delay and considered me an overstayer. I left the country on my own accord on 27 January 2010 and the home office were fully aware. I reapplied For post study outside the U.K. which got approved From 18 May 2010 so I returned on 26June 2010. After the post study I applied for the old 2 year Spouse visa before the 18 May 2012 expiry date of my post study visa as at that point I was getting married to my husband. I got approved and that visa expired in August 2014. I applied for ILR but my application came back invalid due to insufficient funds as I had lost my job. I gathered the money together and reapplied on 22 October 2015 and I received my ILR 29 February 2016. I then went on to apply for my first naturalisation in 2018 which got declined due to being an overstayer in 2009 and 2014 but the case worker said any application made before 27/01/2020 would be declined so that’s why I made the 2nd application on 01 March 2020 based on what the home office said and I still got a refusal based on the same grounds as can be seen in the letter pasted above. That’s my immigration story. Thank you
Last edited by sagranate on Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sagranate
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

Post by sagranate » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:07 am

I received the refusal via email on 8 June but it is dated 03 June

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:52 am

sagranate wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:05 am
I got approved and that visa expired in August 2014. I applied for ILR but my application came back invalid due to insufficient funds as I had lost my job. I gathered the money together and reapplied on 22 October 2015 and I received my ILR 29 February 2016.
Are you sure your initial ILR application was returned as "invalid" rather than "refused"?

If an application is invalid, it is as if the application has never been made (i.e. no Section 3C protections kick into place). If that is the case, you had no leave to remain between August 2014 and February 2016 and therefore the naturalisation refusal would be correct.

It is quite likely that you will not be able to apply for naturalisation till 2026 (10 years from when you became legal again in the UK).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

pimlicollb31
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by pimlicollb31 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:27 pm

BoyTed wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:19 am
standrews wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:59 am
StAndrews why do you always ask people 'Did Home Office email or post'?
Iam sorry but you are extremely rude someone got refusal and wants help but you can't help it but to ask the most silliest question.
I mean wow!
People should be free to ask the questions they want, its a forum. Why the need to be so defensive

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:58 pm

Pimlico yes but they need to open a new thread instead of hijacking someone's thread.

sagranate
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

Post by sagranate » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:37 am

It was indeed an invalid application. That was my thought That I would need to reapply in 2026 but just wanted to be sure before I go wasting any more money on this. I am not sure why in the previous application the case worker advised the date of 27/01/2020. But oh well! Thank you so much everyone for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Sous49
Mood:

Post by Sous49 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:39 am

BoyTed wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:58 pm
Pimlico yes but they need to open a new thread instead of hijacking someone's thread.
They can ask what they want , that is true Pimloco but they also need to be considerate to others feelings as well.
Sorry for what you are experiencing Sagranate

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Hello Sagranate,
I think you need to make a choice either to fight this and go for Naturalisation Review since they told you to apply in 2020 and see your fate or you can wait 2025.
I can't advise you which but either way don't give up.
Good luck.

sagranate
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malawi

Post by sagranate » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi, This morning I decided to fight it. Your message just resonates with this urge I have to fight this. Better to try and see how it goes than wait 5 years and regret never fighting for it. I will update when the home office has made a decision on the Naturalisation Review. Thank you!

babaty2k02
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by babaty2k02 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:35 am

Good luck to you and I am honestly in support of you fighting it. God bless

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:56 am

sagranate wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:07 pm
Hi,

I made an application for naturalisation in 2018 but was refused and the case worker said any application made before 27 January 2020 would be refused. So on 1 March 2020 I applied and I just got another refusal today stating the following:

Reasons for decision
One of the requirements for citizenship is that the applicant is of good character. ‘Good character’ is not defined in the British Nationality Act 1981 but the applicant is expected to have shown due regard for the laws of this country.
This is explained in Booklet AN which accompanies the application form for naturalisation and in the Home Office staff instructions published on www.gov.uk
For the purposes of Naturalisation as a British Citizen, we would not normally consider someone who has been in breach of the immigration laws at any time during the 10 years immediately prior to their application as being of Good Character. This includes where someone has failed to take reasonable steps to ensure they remain compliant with immigration laws.
Your application was decided on 03/06/2020 and so the 10 year period is from 04/06/2010 to 03/06/2020.
You were in the United Kingdom without permission and were therefore non- compliant between 13/08/2014 when your application for leave to remain was refused, until you became compliant on 22/10/2015 when you applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You held no valid leave in the UK until 29/02/2016.
Therefore, you are considered to have been non-compliant and in breach of UK immigration laws within the 10 years immediately before your application for citizenship was decided and do not meet the good character requirement.
The Secretary of State has discretion to disregard a breach of the immigration laws when considering the requirements for naturalisation. To make sure discretion is applied rationally and consistently, an established policy is followed. Our guidance also sets out how we would treat breaches of the immigration rules when assessing whether someone meets the good character requirement. This policy is published in the Nationality Staff Instructions at www.gov.uk/topic/immigration-operationa ... structions.
A breach of immigration laws would not normally be disregarded in any circumstances other than those defined in the policy. As you do not come within the published criteria, nor is there reason to exercise discretion exceptionally outside these criteria, your application is refused.
If you still wish to become a British citizen, a fresh application for naturalisation must be made. An application can be made at any time but you are advised to ensure, as far as possible, that the requirements are met before doing so. In this respect, I should point out that your compliance with immigration law during the 10 years immediately preceding your application date will be assessed to ensure that you can satisfy the requirements of a Naturalisation application, including the ‘Good Character’ requirement.
I cannot say in advance of an application what the outcome will be as this will depend upon all enquiries undertaken at the time to make sure that the requirements are met.
As explained in our schedule of fees, the application fee for British citizenship is not refundable and has been retained to cover the cost of handling and processing your application..
Arrangements are being made to return the sum of £80.00, which is refunded as unsuccessful applicants are not required to attend a citizenship ceremony.

Next steps
If you believe the decision to refuse your application was not soundly based on nationality law, policy or our procedures and you wish it to be reconsidered, you must complete Form NR and pay a fee.
Form NR can be obtained from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-british- citizenship-is-refused-form-nr
The current fee for reconsideration can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications
The Data Protection Act 2018 governs how we use personal data. For details of how we will use your personal information and who we may share it with please see our Privacy Notice for the Border, Immigration and Citizenship system at https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... on-use-in- borders-immigration-and-citizenship. This also explains your key rights under the Act, how you can access your personal information and how to complain if you have concerns.

Please can anyone help me with this as I cannot afford a lawyer at the moment. Should I use form NR as the case worker in my previous application indicated that I could apply after 27/01/2020? Or let it go TIL 2025. Thank you 🙏🏾
It is very disappointing the way simple application has been made complex for gaining political goals.If you have a proof that a caseworker has told you to apply in 2020 then that is enough to take a judicial review .One thing is clear under this hostile environment nobody is there in the HO to provide justice ,they are told to obey rules made under a program so called Tory hostile environment.To get justice you have to fight for it.Sometimes you have to snatch your right by fighting here is the same case.Goodluck.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 am

sagranate wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:21 pm
Hi, This morning I decided to fight it. Your message just resonates with this urge I have to fight this. Better to try and see how it goes than wait 5 years and regret never fighting for it. I will update when the home office has made a decision on the Naturalisation Review. Thank you!
Iam almost in the same boat broke the good character and was supposed to apply in 2022 but i applied December last year and iam ready to fight.
Iam happy you fighting this and we all wish you luck.
Keep us updated.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:07 pm

As horrible as hostile environment is and it is nonsense even for British opposed to identity cards, the law is not on your side. By the sound of it, the case worker didn't consider all evidence as they didn't have to and just said the application won't succeed before Jan 2020. If this is correct, they didn't say the application will succeed after that and they couldn't have as other circumstances could have changed.

So, this will more likely be applying for discretion than fighting. Hope it works out soon.

Doublestarxx
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Doublestarxx » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi Sagranate
Sorry for the decision on your application. Given the facts on your case NR won’t be successful.
Key point to remember is on the letter they tell you that you are welcome to apply anytime but be advised any application before XX date is unlikely to be successful. You are never given the assurance that after the advised date that application is going to be successful. As on each application everything is reviewed again.
The onus lies on the applicant to make sure that they at least satisfy the basic guidance on good character in order to be successful, given that home office has no set definition of good character.

My advice to anybody in similar situation is always do your research which is quite clear in the guidance or seek legal help prior to submission. From the Secretary of State point of view, you did not meet the criteria on good character irrespective of the “suggestion” from previous case worker that refused the 1st application.

BoyTed
Somalia

Post by BoyTed » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:46 am

Doublestarxx wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:31 pm
Hi Sagranate
Sorry for the decision on your application. Given the facts on your case NR won’t be successful.
Key point to remember is on the letter they tell you that you are welcome to apply anytime but be advised any application before XX date is unlikely to be successful. You are never given the assurance that after the advised date that application is going to be successful. As on each application everything is reviewed again.
The onus lies on the applicant to make sure that they at least satisfy the basic guidance on good character in order to be successful, given that home office has no set definition of good character.

My advice to anybody in similar situation is always do your research which is quite clear in the guidance or seek legal help prior to submission. From the Secretary of State point of view, you did not meet the criteria on good character irrespective of the “suggestion” from previous case worker that refused the 1st application.
Hello Doublestarxx,
Iam sorry but you don't use word like ''Given the facts on your case NR won’t be successful".
My friend overstayed for two years during the 10 year and after refusal he was successful.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:05 pm

This is a very usual refusal ground. They look back the last 10 years before the application and any period of immigration breach (being in the UK illegally) triggers a refusal. The letter usually advises you about a date when you can apply again with better chances.

In your case, you had 2 periods of immigration breach. The previous caseworker made a mistake by looking at the first one only and advising to apply in 2020. Technically, you should be looking to 2026 because only 4 years ago you were in the UK without leave.

It's very hard to fight naturalisation decision. Naturalisation is not a right. When they approve or refuse, they do it on the basis of a large discretionary powers they have. So you are really in a weak position to get them to change their mind.

Doublestarxx
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Doublestarxx » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:39 pm

BoyTed wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:46 am
Doublestarxx wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:31 pm
Hi Sagranate

Hello Doublestarxx,
Iam sorry but you don't use word like ''Given the facts on your case NR won’t be successful".
My friend overstayed for two years during the 10 year and after refusal he was successful.
@BoyTed
My specific reason for stating the “obvious“ plainly is based on the stated facts by the OP.
OP wants to apply for reconsideration of the case based solely on the advise from the 1st caseworker to apply in 2020. This will not stand as successful reconsideration is based on certain guidelines such as caseworker misinterpretation of Nationality laws, missing a document that was submitted which if they had seen at the time would lead to positive outcome etc.
It’s open to OP to try but it is highly unlikely to be granted based on the reason for refusal. If financially sound then no harm in trying and losing the fees if unsuccessful.
OP stands a better chance of a successful application if there is a clean 10 yr immigration history without any other problematic good character requirements.
As @Zerrubbabel rightly stated, the 1st caseworker have incorrectly advised to apply in 2020 but bear in mind home office caseworkers don’t offer you legal advise. They only advise which is not binding.
Remember for each case the facts are different, I don’t question the decision on your friend being granted after 2 years overstay on reconsideration as we don’t know the “facts” on that particular case.
My advise was specific to the stated facts from OP.

uchida

Post by uchida » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:31 am

There are changes to the Guidance. This was published in May 2020. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf
There are new discretions to waiver immigration breaches....can anyone clarify these?

London22
Member of Standing

Post by London22 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19 pm

uchida wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:31 am
There are changes to the Guidance. This was published in May 2020. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf
There are new discretions to waiver immigration breaches....can anyone clarify these?
This is an update on how to apply discretion in nationality applications .Overstayers do get discretion depending on the case.This is new update &currently there is no discussion on it by lawyers.This information is not clear yet due to Covid 19.I think there is some changes in the nationality rules coming forward .

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:34 pm

London22 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:19 pm
I think there is some changes in the nationality rules coming forward
Unlikely. Keep in mind that the substantive rules on nationality are laid down in statute (British Nationality Act 1981). It is not that easy to change them. It can take up to a year to get most Acts of Parliament through both the Houses and on as sensitive a matter as nationality, I would expect that it would take longer.

What the government can do is address the policies on how it exercises the discretion that it has under that Act. But the substantive rules and requirements remain the same. And at the current moment, given what is happening more widely, I don't see any reason as to why the government would loosen its policies in this field.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:50 pm

I am reading again this last version of the guidance and they always refer to immigration breaches during the qualifying period which is 3 or 5 years.

But they don't follow their own guidance. Because for immigration breaches they don't look within the qualifying period only but they look back 10 years and any breach triggers a nearly mechanical refusal.

I wished they could be more upfront about this in their guidance to avoid people losing their money in doomed applications.