ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Document Checklist

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sqmeb
Mood:

Spousal visa requirements - Clarifications

Post by sqmeb » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Hello,

This is my first time posting here, so I’m sorry if this is a repeated topic. Also apologies for any stupid questions I may have. So I have gotten married to my husband, he lives in Morocco. I’m a British National. I recently gained employment, with a salary of £18,850. I understand I need to provide 6 months worth of salary when applying for the spousal visa.

In the meantime, I wish to read up on what each requirement entails, trying to find clarification for such, and getting a move on things even if I’m not applying for another six months or so.

I will likely ask a lawyer to look over my application before sending it off but I like to know what’s going on, and being organised.

Sorry I’m rambling. OK, so at the moment I live in a shared accommodation. I’ve been looking at apartments/studio flats, and it is costly. So that’s been a big worry. However, I recently (this morning) read that some people have been living in shared accommodation but their landlords are aware that their spouse will be joining them and living there too. Is renting a shared accommodation in a house as a couple (even if he’s not here yet) sufficient enough to meet the accommodation requirement? As long as it’s not overcrowded.

Also, I want to get a head start of preparing for the documents. I read that the bank statements need to be legitimised by the bank or signed to confirm their authenticity. So when I receive each pay check, I plan to go to the bank to ask for a statement, and get them to sign it?

If these questions can be answered, I’d be very grateful. I do apologise if I sound ignorant. I just want to read and find out more about the process and hear from others who have gone through the same thing.

sqmeb
Mood:

Re: Spousal visa requirements - Clarifications

Post by sqmeb » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:46 pm

I have a basic understanding of what the requirements are and I do have more questions but for now, these are enough.

Thank you to anyone for any help!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:27 pm

sqmeb wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:44 pm
I will likely ask a lawyer to look over my application before sending it off but I like to know what’s going on, and being organised.
You don't need a lawyer if you know the requirement. However, if you still wish to hire him/her then be very careful in choosing only the right knowledgeable person.
sqmeb wrote:
Sorry I’m rambling. OK, so at the moment I live in a shared accommodation. I’ve been looking at apartments/studio flats, and it is costly. So that’s been a big worry. However, I recently (this morning) read that some people have been living in shared accommodation but their landlords are aware that their spouse will be joining them and living there too. Is renting a shared accommodation in a house as a couple (even if he’s not here yet) sufficient enough to meet the accommodation requirement? As long as it’s not overcrowded.
Before relying on shared accomodation you will have to check & determine few things such as whether the property has HMO licence, will landlord/estate will be ready to issue you noc letter, will other tenants be ready to allow their names be added on property inspection & will allow the surveyor to access their room when preparing the report, do you have at least one double room for your exclusive use. If the reply is yes to all then proceed and if no to even one then better to find alternative accomodation.
sqmeb wrote:
Also, I want to get a head start of preparing for the documents. I read that the bank statements need to be legitimised by the bank or signed to confirm their authenticity. So when I receive each pay check, I plan to go to the bank to ask for a statement, and get them to sign it?
If online pdf bank statements aren't pacifically marked as online then these should be fine without stamp otherwise yes they need to be.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Yes, of course. I’d rather collect all the documents myself than after hire a lawyer to go over it just to see if there’s anything I miss.

What is an NOC letter?
I’ll take these factors into mind when considering shared or private accommodation. Regarding accommodation I’m planning to start the application at the start of July, would I have need to stay at the suitable and adequate accommodation for a certain amount of time before applying? So would I have had to stay, say, 6 months to prove I can afford accommodation or is it okay to have a month or maybe three at the accommodation?

I’d most likely download the bank statements if they’re suitable but I’m very meticulous and organised. I’d rather sign something off twice than make the smallest mistake.

Also, thank you for your informative response!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 am

sqmeb wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:10 pm
Yes, of course. I’d rather collect all the documents myself than after hire a lawyer to go over it just to see if there’s anything I miss.

What is an NOC letter?
I’ll take these factors into mind when considering shared or private accommodation. Regarding accommodation I’m planning to start the application at the start of July, would I have need to stay at the suitable and adequate accommodation for a certain amount of time before applying? So would I have had to stay, say, 6 months to prove I can afford accommodation or is it okay to have a month or maybe three at the accommodation?

I’d most likely download the bank statements if they’re suitable but I’m very meticulous and organised. I’d rather sign something off twice than make the smallest mistake.

Also, thank you for your informative response!
NOC is a letter from the landlord OR property manager stating that they do not have any objection to your partner staying with you in the property when spouse is granted entry clearance and is in the country. And that the addition of your spouse will not cause the property to be overcrowded and break the Housing Act.
No rules states that you must have lived in the property for certain duration before applying.

AJ100
Newly Registered
India

Post by AJ100 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:29 am

Hello Sqmeb,

Below is the list of documents that I provided with successful outcome and thanks to the advice offered on this forum.

I applied using access UK website and opted for the scanning assistance at VFS centre as I read in the forum that few applicants had issues when self uploading the documents.

All documents submitted were within 28 days from the date of application.

1. Cover letter from the sponsor

2. Sponsor’s Non-financial documents
2.1 Passport copy
2.2 Copy of BRP page

3. Sponsor’s financial documents
3.1 Bank Statements for the last 7 months.
3.3 Payslips 7 months
3.4 Letter from Employer
3.5 P60 for the previous 3 years

4. Sponsor’s Accommodation Documents
4.1 Assured Tenancy Agreement for 1 bed flat.
4.2 NOC (no objection letter) Letter from Landlord
4.3 House inspection report from estates agent

I did not provide council tax, copy of utility bills, as these are included in the Tenancy Agreement and clearly mentioned. I moved into this property 2 months before the application date.

5. Applicant’s Non-financial documents
5.1 Passport- Original
5.2 Copy of Passport Passport

6. Applicant’s Medical documents
6.1 TB test certificate

8. Applicant’s English Language documents
8.1 UK Naric letter
8.2 Bachelor’s Study Degree Certificate
8.3 letter from University
8.4 Bachelor’s Study Transcripts

8. Relationship documents (covering the entire period of the relationship) - Marriage certificate in English language, Translation of marriage documents by the local authority, wedding invitation card, Wedding pictures, pictures of pre-wedding and post-wedding, tickets, boarding passes, receipts, WhatsApp chat call logs, WhatsApp video call pictures etc

I also submitted Appendix 2 form to be on the safer side, but many had successful applications without it, see below link as I did not want to delay my application.

https://www.migrate.org.uk/spouse-visa- ... vaf4a-form

I will recommend reading various threads on this forum and do your research.

Good luck.
AJ

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:49 am

Thank you for clarifying on what an NOC letter is. :)

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:53 am

Hi AJ100,

Thank you for your response. It’s definitely a lengthy list. Worrisome, but I’m sure if I take my time and triple check everything, then hopefully I’ll have it right.

I’ll look into the rest of the forum to get more of an understanding.

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 am

sqmeb wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:10 pm
You could also consider requesting to have paper bank statements mailed to you for the next few months if you have concerns about relying only on the online ones. There's no real need to go in every month to get the statement signed/stamped; stamped bank statements are only required if the statement being submitted is not on official stationery:
"(a) Bank statements must:
(v) be: (1) on official bank stationery; or (2) electronic bank statements which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page."
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 am

If I start collecting the statements now, the bank statements will show a different address to the ones I collect months later as I’ll be moving to a suitable and adequate accommodation (once I find one). This will be after February that I plan to find a place and move. Would different addresses be an issue or do you think it will be fine if I write an explanation as to why?

AJ100
Newly Registered
India

Post by AJ100 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am

sqmeb wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 am
If I start collecting the statements now, the bank statements will show a different address to the ones I collect months later as I’ll be moving to a suitable and adequate accommodation (once I find one). This will be after February that I plan to find a place and move. Would different addresses be an issue or do you think it will be fine if I write an explanation as to why?
No, it should not be an issue as you can explain the change in address in the covering letter.
It is always good to provide original documents whenever possible. I sent the supporting scanned copies to my wife and she printed these in colour. I kept the originals just in case. It is always good to submit the original documents to be on the safer side but in my case, I downloaded and printed the bank statement in colour and submitted these at the VFS centre for scanning. I bank with Lloyds, it clearly mentions the address and also has the bank logo. As the rules have now changed, it is no longer necessary to ship the original supporting documents to the applicant but I will still recommend requesting originals from the bank.

see below
Third party immigration solicitor weblink removed by moderator. Please only post links to official HO pages/documents.

I hope it helps.

AJ

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am

Thank you, AJ. I will be including a cover letter and will keep that in mind.

I have two bank accounts, the one where I get paid is the one I will print statements/show salary. However, the other is NatWest, and I just use that to move money into it. It’s not really an official savings account. I don’t think I would need to show the second account, would I?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:18 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 am

No rules states that you must have lived in the property for certain duration before applying.
Generally speaking in private renting living/accomodation arrangements can change in minutes but caseworker is to be convinced that the present accomodation is/will be exclusively under possession or at least under control of sponsor. For this purpose ideally some proof of addresses from the last few months strengthens the case although it is not officially mandatory and varies from case to case.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:28 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:18 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:08 am

Generally speaking in private renting living/accomodation arrangements can change in minutes but caseworker is to be convinced that the present accomodation is/will be exclusively under possession or at least under control of sponsor. For this purpose ideally some proof of addresses from the last few months strengthens the case although it is not officially mandatory and varies from case to case.
I thought as much. Which is why I plan to find a place and move in by March. Then if I apply by July, I have 4 months under my belt.

AJ100
Newly Registered
India

Post by AJ100 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:48 am

sqmeb wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am
Thank you, AJ. I will be including a cover letter and will keep that in mind.

I have two bank accounts, the one where I get paid is the one I will print statements/show salary. However, the other is NatWest, and I just use that to move money into it. It’s not really an official savings account. I don’t think I would need to show the second account, would I?
You need to only show your main account if you are relying on your salary as a sponsor (Category A)? Just make sure the salary slips and bank statement do cover the minimum threshold. During the form submission, it provides you with a checklist e.g if you need 12 months bank statement and salary slips or 6 months etc.
Good luck.

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 am

My salary is £18,850 per annum going to £20,000+ after six months so by the end of June I should be ready to apply, hopefully.

Also, thank you all for your help! :)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:08 am

sqmeb wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 am
My salary is £18,850 per annum going to £20,000+ after six months so by the end of June I should be ready to apply, hopefully.

Also, thank you all for your help! :)
Both salaries should be sufficient to meet the requirement but try your best not to take unpaid leave/off and keep on earning at least £1550 per month.

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:34 am

Yes of course. I’m taking paid holiday in February to go and see my husband but I’m guessing since it’s paid and My salary will still be the same each month it won’t affect the visa application whatsoever.

uj95

Post by uj95 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 pm

AJ100 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am
sqmeb wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 am
No, it should not be an issue as you can explain the change in address in the covering letter.
It is always good to provide original documents whenever possible. I sent the supporting scanned copies to my wife and she printed these in colour. I kept the originals just in case. It is always good to submit the original documents to be on the safer side but in my case, I downloaded and printed the bank statement in colour and submitted these at the VFS centre for scanning. I bank with Lloyds, it clearly mentions the address and also has the bank logo. As the rules have now changed, it is no longer necessary to ship the original supporting documents to the applicant but I will still recommend requesting originals from the bank.

see below
Third party immigration solicitor weblink removed by moderator. Please only post links to official HO pages/documents.

I hope it helps.

AJ

So for the application/document upload to VFS.....did you print out all evidence (bank statements, wage slips, communication whatsapp transcript) and then scan it to upload to VFS?

AJ100
Newly Registered
India

Post by AJ100 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:05 pm

Hello uj95,

Yes, I did print everything in colour and provided these for scanning at VFS New Delhi.
I made sure I printed every document in high resolution.
I asked my employer to send me an employment letter as a scanned copy in colour and I printed these.
I downloaded my salary slips from our online portal and printed these also in colour, my salary slips do have employer logo and contact information, so it may be different for others.
I downloaded and printed the bank documents in colour, I bank with Lloyds.
All other documents e.g landlord NOC letter, contract, house report was also sent as pdf or scanned copied and I made sure these were clear and printed in colour.

For the relationship evidence, I printed 4 to 6 pictures on an A4 size page

I separated all the documents according to the VFS barcode as was advised on this forum which I found this very helpful (see below thread) but I will recommend printing these on yellow colour paper as was advised at the VFS centre.

immigration-for-family-members/uk-spous ... l#p1845480

Good luck and I hope it helps.

sqmeb
Mood:

Post by sqmeb » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi all,

Regarding the bank statements, am I correct in saying that all bank statements must be within 28 days in date of applying? So I can’t really collect bank statements now if I’m planning to apply in June since they will be invalid and out of date.

Furthermore, is it correct that a maximum of 10 photos of your relationship is needed? If I submit too much evidence/a whole heap of photos then this may be the reason of a refusal?

Feeling baffled. Any help with be appreciated.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:34 pm

If you are applying in June, you need 6 months statement, the last of which should comply with the 28 days rule.
No numbers specified for amount of photos as relationship evidence. People have submitted a heap n still got refused, others have submitted few and got visa. There is no method to it. Provide sufficient evidence that's reasonably commensurate to the length of relationship. For photos, if it can show date and you give little commentary of where/on what occasion then fine.

uj95

Post by uj95 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:57 pm

AJ100 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:05 pm
Hello uj95,

Yes, I did print everything in colour and provided these for scanning at VFS New Delhi.
I made sure I printed every document in high resolution.
I asked my employer to send me an employment letter as a scanned copy in colour and I printed these.
I downloaded my salary slips from our online portal and printed these also in colour, my salary slips do have employer logo and contact information, so it may be different for others.
I downloaded and printed the bank documents in colour, I bank with Lloyds.
All other documents e.g landlord NOC letter, contract, house report was also sent as pdf or scanned copied and I made sure these were clear and printed in colour.

For the relationship evidence, I printed 4 to 6 pictures on an A4 size page

I separated all the documents according to the VFS barcode as was advised on this forum which I found this very helpful (see below thread) but I will recommend printing these on yellow colour paper as was advised at the VFS centre.

immigration-for-family-members/uk-spous ... l#p1845480

Good luck and I hope it helps.

Thanks. Guess the government doesn’t care about the environment then...having to print out over 1000+ pieces of paper, when you can just upload the digital PDF onto the portal directly. I’d have thought they would have switched to a paperless process by now

sqmeb
Mood:

Adequate accommodation

Post by sqmeb » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi all,

I’m searching for accommodation to meet the spousal visa requirements. I’ve been looking at flats and shared accommodation. Shared accommodation is more likely for me, since it’s likely to already be HMO-approved.

The thing is, I’ve been messaging landlords, and saying the following: I’m searching for an apartment or self-contained studio flat. Preferably furnished in the ***** city area.

I’m also open to shared accommodation for two persons. I will be in the process of applying for a spousal visa for my partner to join me in the U.K. The property must have a HMO license, I will require a NOC (no-objection letter) from the landlord for my spouse to join me, land registry letter, official copy of title deeds, and a recent council tax letter. This must be agreed upon.

I haven’t been getting much luck in terms of responses. It’s making me quite worried and I wanted to double check that I *must* need the official copy of title deeds/land registry letter? As I’ve gotten responses back of landlords not willing to give their title deed letter etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Please and thank you.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Adequate accommodation

Post by seagul » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:30 pm

sqmeb wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:01 pm
I wanted to double check that I *must* need the official copy of title deeds/land registry letter?
Glad to listen that it is not needed where the landlord is not your friend/relative. In private renting you only need tenancy agreement, noc letter and property inspection report (if sharing with none-related adults).