ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship with settled status through surinder Singh route

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Islandson
Newly Registered
Trinidad & Tobago

Citizenship with settled status through surinder Singh route

Post by Islandson » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:43 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:16 pm
The question relates to an EU (non British) citizen whose family member followed the EEA EU rules route and not the UK immigration rules spouse visa route. If you are only British, the question is not relevant to her.
Hi all, I too am a little confused about this question. My wife is a non EU citizen, I am British and she has lived here under the Surinder Singh judgement. She recently got her IRL via settled status. So would her answer be be Yes as she obtained settled status being a family member of a EU citizen? Or is it No because exercising SS mean that she is a family member of a British citizen?

adinaedri

Re: Citizenship with settled status through surinder Singh route

Post by adinaedri » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Did you find and answer to your question? Would be interested to hear it :)

ellyell

Post by ellyell » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:37 pm

Answer would be yes

Exercising Surinder Singh route means; British citizen is treated as an EU citizen.

(I answered ‘yes’ on my application form)

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:18 am

If subject to the Surinder Singh route, then

the UK citizen is treated as a Qualifying British citizen for the purposes of Appendix EU. Or
the UK citizen is treated as holding a valid passport issued by an EEA State for the purposes of the EEA regulations. Schedule 3 sets the effect on other legislation.

For the purposes of the British Nationality Act, a British citizen is treated, unsurprisingly, as a British citizen.
The spouse or civil partner of a British citizen may naturalise under Section 6(2).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

adinaedri

Post by adinaedri » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Thank you. We are in the ame situation so I will come back to report in few months' tims :)

Lolabora
Newly Registered

Post by Lolabora » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:58 am

Hi there! If you are married to a British citizen who obtained settled status via Surinder Singh, why would you answer "yes" to being a family member of EEA / EU national in the naturalisation application? If you do, which would be wrong, it will ask you for proof of CSI. For the purposes of the British Nationality Act, a British citizen is treated, unsurprisingly, as a British citizen. When they returned to the UK with their non-EU spouses via Surinder Singh route, they were "qualified British citizens" and not EEA or Swiss Nationals exercising treaty right in the UK. This means that a non-EU national with settled status in the above category should not need to present proof of CSI for the purpose of the naturalisation application, unlike EEA nationals who obtained settled status after exercising treaty rights in the UK. but please correct me if I am missing anything here.