ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clear guidance for family members post Brexit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rodvmu

Clear guidance for family members post Brexit

Post by rodvmu » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find clear guidance on what's the route for an EU citizen to bring close family members after Brexit?

There are 2 scenarios that are a bit unclear from the home office's website, which is:

a) Bringing family members after 31/dec/20 but before 30/jun/21
b) Bringing family members after 30/jun/21

For scenario a) it seems the route will be the "EU settlement scheme family permit". But for b), bringing close family members after 30/jun/21 I haven't found anything that's clear.

Regards,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Clear guidance for family members post Brexit

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:33 pm

Who are you asking for?? Your previous posts suggest you were applying for ILR after 5 years on Tier 2 General!

https://www.immigrationboards.com/indef ... l#p1880596
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rodvmu

Post by rodvmu » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:49 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:33 pm
Who are you asking for?? Your previous posts suggest you were applying for ILR after 5 years on Tier 2 General!

https://www.immigrationboards.com/indef ... l#p1880596
You are correct, it is not for me personally. Trying to get information for a friend. It didn't cross my mind that I should have mentioned that.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:41 am

rodrigouchoa wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:43 pm
But for b), bringing close family members after 30/jun/21 I haven't found anything that's clear.
Here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigra ... ed-to-know
On 13 July 2020, the government set out further details on the UK’s points-based system. These new arrangements will take effect from 1 January 2021, once freedom of movement with the European Union (EU) has ended.

It will treat EU and non-EU citizens equally and aims to attract people who can contribute to the UK’s economy. Irish citizens will continue to be able to enter and live in the UK as they do now.
Since the UK will be out of the EU, and well after the transition period, there is no special provision for EU citizens for your scenario b). They will be treated the same as non-EU, hence no special guidance. They will need to follow the general guidance for the point-based system that will be applied to all non-UK, non-Irish nationalities, detailed on above link.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:38 pm

Post June 2021, settled EU citizens will likely be treated as the equivalent of other people settled in the UK (British citizens and non-EEA citizens with ILR) and will need to meet the relevant salary, language and other requirements.

It is unclear what the requirements for family members of pre-settled EU citizens will be after that date, but you can use the current requirements for family members of people in the UK on ILR as an approximate benchmark.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vpp1981

Post by vpp1981 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:56 pm

There is no deadline for close family members to join their family member with settled or pre-settled status in the UK, and you are wrong to assume the EUSS will end in June 2021, that's the deadline for people who are already living here, to submit an application, but close family members can still apply after that deadline as long as their relationship exists with the
EEA national with settled/pre-settled status on or before 31st Dec 2020.
The visa category will still be pre-settled status, followed by settled status after 5 years living here

I got the above advise through a lawyer post from another forum.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:31 pm

rodrigouchoa wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:43 pm
Does anyone know where I can find clear guidance on what's the route for an EU citizen to bring close family members after Brexit?
I think the key question here is to know wether your friends are already in the UK and want to bring their family members after June 2021, or if they are all planning to come to the UK after June 2021. There is a difference.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:35 pm

vpp1981 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:56 pm
you are wrong to assume the EU Settlement Scheme will end in June 2021
No one has said such a thing.
that's the deadline for people who are already living here, to submit an application
We don't know whether the EU citizen in question is already in the UK. If they are planning to come after June 2021, there won't be a EUSS for them.