ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GNIB renewal

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Kerrymatt
Newly Registered
Ireland

GNIB renewal

Post by Kerrymatt » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 am

Immigration offices reopen today at 20 July. My local one is closed for renovations (great timing, couldn't have renovated it during the months it was closed despite construction work being essential.) Another one took my message and said they'd call me back.

My GNIB is up for renewal next month. Anyone able to get through and find out what the process is? Must we still queue at the office, fill out forms, have our picture taken, hand in the card, wait some unspecified number of weeks for the card to arrive back at the office and then queue again to retrieve it?

Thanks.

amolbawate
Ireland

Re: GNIB renewal

Post by amolbawate » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:41 am

Hi, as per latest development the minister has announced the further temporary extension of permission till Aug 2020. My gnib is going to expire on 31st July and I am also waiting for applying for my Irish citizenship based on Stamp 1 and stamp 4. The online portal is accepting student permission i guess because i tried today morning to submit the application and it didn't work.

http://justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR20000145

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:56 am

Kerrymatt wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 am
Immigration offices reopen today at 20 July. My local one is closed for renovations (great timing, couldn't have renovated it during the months it was closed despite construction work being essential.) Another one took my message and said they'd call me back.

My GNIB is up for renewal next month. Anyone able to get through and find out what the process is? Must we still queue at the office, fill out forms, have our picture taken, hand in the card, wait some unspecified number of weeks for the card to arrive back at the office and then queue again to retrieve it?

Thanks.
I guess the whole point of having an appointment-only system is so that you don't have to queue (excessively at least).
You are still going to have to hand over your card and passport, pay the money, have your passport stamped, and wait for a few weeks for the new card to arrive. Fingerprints and pictures should not be needed for renewals (although the officer may still want a new picture of you if they prefer).

lucidj
Mood:
Ireland

Post by lucidj » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:27 pm

Mine worked. I started the application 7 days ago and left it saved. Today I just opened it, uploaded the documents and submitted. Got an email asking me to send my passport , IRP card and email confirmation by post.

Kerrymatt
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Kerrymatt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:30 pm

There's a way to renew the GNIB online? That's news. How do you provide the passport, did you have to mail it in? I'm always VERY wary of being parted from my passport for very long.

To circle back to my original question, is anyone having any success with going to an immigration office with their GNIB, and passport, having their photo taken and handing in your GNIB for renewal? I think this service (at least here in Kerry) is at best on its knees if not working at all.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Kerrymatt wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:30 pm
There's a way to renew the GNIB online? That's news. How do you provide the passport, did you have to mail it in? I'm always VERY wary of being parted from my passport for very long.

To circle back to my original question, is anyone having any success with going to an immigration office with their GNIB, and passport, having their photo taken and handing in your GNIB for renewal? I think this service (at least here in Kerry) is at best on its knees if not working at all.
No, the previous comments are all ignoring the fact that you are not based in Dublin.

Unfortunately, you still have to arrange an appointment with your local GNIB to renew your permission in person.

The opening date can be found on: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/re ... on-updates

They have been very clear that you must email your local GNIB office to arrange for an appointment in advance. You will not be seen if you do not have an appointment agreed with them.

Kerrymatt
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Kerrymatt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:40 pm

littlerr wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:25 pm
Kerrymatt wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:30 pm

No, the previous comments are all ignoring the fact that you are not based in Dublin.

Unfortunately, you still have to arrange an appointment with your local GNIB to renew your permission in person.

The opening date can be found on: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/re ... on-updates

They have been very clear that you must email your local GNIB office to arrange for an appointment in advance. You will not be seen if you do not have an appointment agreed with them.
Thanks. That explains things. Shame they couldn't get the offices ready while they were closed. I've e-mailed my local office. Calling them is pointless.

Kerrymatt
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Kerrymatt » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 am

Closing the loop, e-mail reply received from local Immigration office. Will receive my appointment time when the office opens in August.