ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extend spouse visa questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sawebs
Newly Registered

Spouse visa extension

Post by sawebs » Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 am

Hi,

We will be applying for the extension of my wife's spouse visa soon.

I wanted to check the date when we should apply. The residence permit says it was issued on 29/12/17 and is valid until 05/10/20. She entered the UK on 4/2/18.

I was assuming that we need to apply by 3/8/20. Is this correct? Should we apply around 7/7/20 to be safe?

I tried to apply for an English test for her with the British Council but testing is currently suspended - if this doesn't change in the next month or so should we just apply anyway without the test?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse visa extension

Post by CR001 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:51 am

Should apply no sooner than within 28 days before reaching 30 months residence, counted from date of entry to the UK. She can also apply any time after this and before her visa expires. It is not mandatory to apply exactly on 28 days before reaching 30 months.

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/datead ... =&ad=&rec=

If you apply too early, she will end up with a shortfall and require another extension to cover a short period before she can apply for ILR.

She needs minimum A2 test from IELTS SELT.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Fri May 29, 2020 11:04 am

Many thanks, very helpful.

As far as the English test is concerned, we can't do that at the moment as testing is suspended. When I looked on the English Council website the earliest test booking shown was 28/6/20. I guess we could try and book that. Otherwise I think we will have to apply without it.

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Fri May 29, 2020 11:06 am

Update: first test available is now showing 11/7/20.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:07 am

sawebs wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:04 am
Many thanks, very helpful.

As far as the English test is concerned, we can't do that at the moment as testing is suspended. When I looked on the English Council website the earliest test booking shown was 28/6/20. I guess we could try and book that. Otherwise I think we will have to apply without it.
Unclear why you can't simply apply once she has done the test as her visa is still valid for a decent amount of time. Why the rush to apply when she doesn't meet the requirements?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Fri May 29, 2020 11:19 am

We can wait, yes. I just remember how complicated and stressful it was last time and would like to get it out of the way asap.

What if she fails the test and has to rebook? No guarantee that another test appointment will be available at short notice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:23 am

sawebs wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:19 am
We can wait, yes. I just remember how complicated and stressful it was last time and would like to get it out of the way asap.

What if she fails the test and has to rebook? No guarantee that another test appointment will be available at short notice.
That is a risk you take. There are many centres on the current official HO list of test providers. You must do the test at one of these, specifically the IELTS SELT.

However, if you apply without the correct test and have attended biometrics (you have a limit within which to enroll biometrics), then her application will be refused and she will be put onto the FLR(FP) 10 year partner route and will need 4 x 2.5 year visas, costing a small fortune, before qualifying for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 am

Have booked test for 4th July. Fingers crossed.

Many thanks for your help.

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Fri May 29, 2020 11:52 am

Sorry another question. I have two children from a previous marriage but at the time of application they will both be over 18.

The online application is asking me to provide all their details including addresses, passport details, proof of their mother's address, whether they have ever travelled outside the UK etc. etc. This is ridiculous!

Do I need to provide all this as they are both adults?

geoeng
Canada

Post by geoeng » Fri May 29, 2020 12:40 pm

sawebs wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:52 am
Sorry another question. I have two children from a previous marriage but at the time of application they will both be over 18.
The online application is asking me to provide all their details including addresses, passport details, proof of their mother's address, whether they have ever travelled outside the UK etc. etc. This is ridiculous!
Do I need to provide all this as they are both adults?
It would depend on the exact wording of the questions asked in the online application form, which I don't have a record of as they didn't apply to me. However, the application form in it's current electronic and former paper versions would typically be referring to dependent children (usually under the age of 18).
I'm just a guy on the Internet who immigrated to the UK. My opinions are based on my experience and interpretation of the immigration rules and should not be considered legal or immigration advice; your mileage may vary.

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 pm

It just says children.

sawebs
Newly Registered

Extend spouse visa questions

Post by sawebs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 am

Hi,

We are applying to extend my wife's spouse visa. Application must be made by 4th August. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help with:

1. She took her A2 english test last week. We have been waiting 3 months to get an appointment due to CV19. If she doesn't pass the test what can we do? Does she need to leave the UK and apply again?

2. We completed the online form but I had a couple of changes still to make - small things like my ex-wife's date of birth was wrong and I missed adding one trip abroad when my daughter was a baby. Everything else was correct. I pressed the button to go and pay the NHS surcharge and once that was done and it returned me to the visa website I can no longer edit the form! There was no warning about this. Technical helpdesk confirms this is the case and it cannot be changed. Should we continue with the application anyway and add a note of the changes when we send the paperwork? Or start another application? In which case can I get the NHS fee back and pay it again?

3. When we applied last time I filled in form Appendix 2 VAF4A. Now I noticed it says "This form is for use outside the UK only". Does this mean I don't need to fill in this or any other Financial Requirements form? Do I just send in my company accounts, dividend vouchers, bank statements, accountant's letter etc?

Many thanks,
Simon

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Extend spouse visa questions

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:30 am

Topics Merged!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:33 am

1. If she doesn't pass the test she will be put on the FLR(FP) 10 year Partner route.

2. Add a covering note briefly explaining the error. There is also no absence limit for spouse visa holders. Your ex wifes details isn't relevant to the application.

3. You only need ONE form, FLR(M). Appendix 2 is ONLY for application outside the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:35 am

sawebs wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:24 am
Hi,

We are applying to extend my wife's spouse visa. Application must be made by 4th August. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help with:

1. She took her A2 english test last week. We have been waiting 3 months to get an appointment due to CV19. If she doesn't pass the test what can we do? Does she need to leave the UK and apply again? If she does not pass i.e. not meeting the English Language requirements could be put on the 10yr route.

2. We completed the online form but I had a couple of changes still to make - small things like my ex-wife's date of birth was wrong and I missed adding one trip abroad when my daughter was a baby. Everything else was correct. I pressed the button to go and pay the NHS surcharge and once that was done and it returned me to the visa website I can no longer edit the form! There was no warning about this. Technical helpdesk confirms this is the case and it cannot be changed. Should we continue with the application anyway and add a note of the changes when we send the paperwork? Or start another application? In which case can I get the NHS fee back and pay it again? Since you have paid, requesting for the IHS refund may take an unknown time to process and for you to get it back(Except if you have other funds to use and pay IHS again). This mistake can be simply addressed in a cover letter and upload it.

3. When we applied last time I filled in form Appendix 2 VAF4A. Now I noticed it says "This form is for use outside the UK only". Does this mean I don't need to fill in this or any other Financial Requirements form? Do I just send in my company accounts, dividend vouchers, bank statements, accountant's letter etc? Yes, you do not need Appendix 2. All you require are in the online form.

Many thanks,
Simon

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:38 am

Thanks for the quick reply.

"Your ex wifes details isn't relevant to the application"

Yes that's what I thought. However they ask for her details on the online application form and even want proof of her address eg utility bill - I'm sure you can imagine the reaction I got from her when I asked for that! It's completely crazy - what if she refused? Would we be unable to get a visa for my new wife because of her??!!!

My reference to my daughter's travel record refers to my daughter with my ex-wife. Again I'm sure you can imagine the response when I asked my ex for details of ALL travel my daughter has done - cooperation was almost non-existent!!!

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:39 am

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 am

Unclear why you are adding travel of your daughter. Is she applying for a visa extension???

What was the question exactly??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

sawebs
Newly Registered

Post by sawebs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:35 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 am
Unclear why you are adding travel of your daughter. Is she applying for a visa extension???

No she is not applying for a visa. She is British and lives with my ex-wife.

There is a section which says "Does Mr XXXX XXXXXXXX have any other children in the UK that are not applying on this application?"

Then under "Non Applying Children" it asks "Has the child ever visited or lived in another country?" and then asks you to list all overseas visits.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 am

sawebs wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:35 am
CR001 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:44 am

No she is not applying for a visa. She is British and lives with my ex-wife.

There is a section which says "Does Mr XXXX XXXXXXXX have any other children in the UK that are not applying on this application?"

Then under "Non Applying Children" it asks "Has the child ever visited or lived in another country?" and then asks you to list all overseas visits.
the forms contains some questions that are not sensible and only make filling complicated under certain conditions.