ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Undeclared foreign rental income and ILR

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cctzn
Newly Registered
Azerbaijan

Undeclared foreign rental income and ILR

Post by cctzn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi,

I have been living in UK with Tier 2 General visa for the past 3.5 years, and have a current Tier 2 visa for another 2.5 years. I have been paying my income tax in UK via PAYE like anyone else. I had started receiving rental income in my home country in April 2018, but I have not transferred this money to UK at all. I paid taxes in my home country for this rental income. Considering I am not moving the money to UK, I thought this is not something HMRC would care.

Recently, a friend said I should have declared this to HMRC via self assessment, and I am shocked given I am a PAYE employee and right now flat out panicking after reading heaps of ILR issues with tax (mainly on Tier 1 though, I couldn't find anything on Tier 2).

My home country and UK has a double taxation agreement, so it looks like I am unlikely to pay any taxes. I am planning to talk to a tax adviser next week to sort out and declare last year's income via self assessment in time, and (if appropriate) apply for Let Property Campaign to fix the previous tax year.

But in your experience, how likely this mistake would cost me my ILR in 1.5 years or any visa renewal if I change my current job?

After reading all these ILR refusal threads, I feel extremely panicked and sad.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Undeclared foreign rental income and ILR

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Stop listening to your friend. It is not UK income or money coming to the UK. Nothing you have to declare to HMRC.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cctzn
Newly Registered
Azerbaijan

Re: Undeclared foreign rental income and ILR

Post by cctzn » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 pm

Thank you CR001. This is very relieving.

This page also confused me a bit: https://www.litrg.org.uk/latest-news/ne ... -your-home

The example they have given seems to fit my bill, except the country in question is EU country in the example.