ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA Passport, Travel to Greece

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xcrogers

USA Passport, Travel to Greece

Post by xcrogers » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Apologies if the wrong forum or this has been asked/addressed elsewhere, I tried to do a bit of searching. Feel free to point me to asked and anwered threads on this topic. Thanks!

I'm a Tier 2 General visa holder living and working 100% in the UK since March 2016 (typical holiday/work travel from London). My wife and I have a (possible) planned holiday in Greece towards the end of October (all refundable). We both hold and travel under our US passports.

We recently had two friends who needed to show ILR cards (not BRP cards) to board a plane to Greece from London for holiday (both were not USA nor EU/schengen area nationals).

according to the link below it would see we need to be a permanent UK resident to qualify for an exemption. Now while I would say living/working in a country for over four years counts, I understand that 'officially' the my situation could be viewed differently and what i'm looking for clarification/experience on.

https://gr.usembassy.gov/wp-content/upl ... July-1.jpg

Can anyone offer advice in terms of being refused entry to Greece as a US Passport holder who lives abroad (in UK or other EU country)? We have no interest in being refused travel/entry and its easy enough for us to cancel our trip. Or is there some simple documentation that we should carry (outside our BRP cards) that would allow us to easily travel to Greece for the holiday. This also assumes thats the travel situation/requirements do not not change either way. No Covid hypotheticals, I'm simply asking regarding the entry information, we'll decide if its wise for us (and others) to travel once closer to the date.

Thank you

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: USA Passport, Travel to Greece

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 am

xcrogers wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:49 pm
Apologies if the wrong forum or this has been asked/addressed elsewhere, I tried to do a bit of searching. Feel free to point me to asked and anwered threads on this topic. Thanks!

I'm a Tier 2 General visa holder living and working 100% in the UK since March 2016 (typical holiday/work travel from London). My wife and I have a (possible) planned holiday in Greece towards the end of October (all refundable). We both hold and travel under our US passports.

We recently had two friends who needed to show ILR cards (not BRP cards) to board a plane to Greece from London for holiday (both were not USA nor EU/schengen area nationals).

according to the link below it would see we need to be a permanent UK resident to qualify for an exemption. Now while I would say living/working in a country for over four years counts, I understand that 'officially' the my situation could be viewed differently and what i'm looking for clarification/experience on.

Can anyone offer advice in terms of being refused entry to Greece as a US Passport holder who lives abroad (in UK or other EU country)? We have no interest in being refused travel/entry and its easy enough for us to cancel our trip. Or is there some simple documentation that we should carry (outside our BRP cards) that would allow us to easily travel to Greece for the holiday. This also assumes thats the travel situation/requirements do not not change either way. No Covid hypotheticals, I'm simply asking regarding the entry information, we'll decide if its wise for us (and others) to travel once closer to the date.

Thank you
I assume that the term 'permanent resident' has been deliberately chosen, not 'ordinarily resident', so it does appear like one needs to have achieved permanent residence in an immigration sense and have obtained documentary evidence of this = indefinite leave to remain, permanent residence, settled status, permanent residence-EU, etc.

Things may change any moment, but you know that.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: USA Passport, Travel to Greece

Post by ALKB » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 am

ALKB wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 am
xcrogers wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Thank you
I assume that the term 'permanent resident' has been deliberately chosen, instead of 'ordinarily resident', so it does appear like one needs to have achieved permanent residence in an immigration sense and have obtained documentary evidence of this = indefinite leave to remain, permanent residence, settled status, permanent residence-EU, etc.

Things may change any moment, but you know that.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.