ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Emergency situation-British PP holder

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

smiles345
Member of Standing

Emergency situation-British PP holder

Post by smiles345 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:15 pm

I have applied for British passport renewal on 17.08.2020 [sent the old passport to Glasgow office] and new passport arrived on 27.08.20 ,but my old passport containing life long visa to india (OCI card holder) still not returned (I paid for secured delivery)and I really require to travel urgently as my. Father is in hospital.
I contacted the customer care management division and the guy phoned me three times today told me that he contacted the department and he got a message that they are unable to locate my old passport also he mentioned that it's understaffed due to covid etc. he also suspecting that the staff might have put them in to wrong envelope and send it by Royal Mail.if so, it should have arrived by now. Indian immigration won't be allow me in without old passport which containing visa (OCI card linked to the old passport number) I don't know what to do.experts,please advise. Do you think my passport still lying at Glasgow office.thank you

secret.simon

Re: Emergency situation-British PP holder

Post by secret.simon » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:41 pm

While I understand your question revolves around getting the old British passport back from the Glasgow office, the solution to your issue (of needing to travel to India soon) may depend on Indian immigration practices.

Is it required for the OCI card to be used in conjunction with a specific passport? Can you apply for an e-visa without voiding your OCI? Once in India, can you get your OCI updated with your new passport details?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:11 am

Many thanks for your reply secret.simon. well, I'm 40 plus age and technically I don't require to transfer the OCI visa to the new passport as long as I carry the old passport (old passport number linked to my OCI)
I rang few times indian high commission and they are not picking up the phone.
Also, I paid secure delivery charge £5 for the return of documents when I applied for the new passport here.

Really appreciate valuable help..thanks

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:51 pm

Agree with the above suggestion. OCI holders can get a regular e-Visa and travel in case the original OCI booklet or the passport on which it was issued is not available for travel. This will solve your immediate travel to India.

If HO can't locate your old passport, get them to issue a letter and use that for an OCI re-issue on your new passport. Even this letter is not mandatory - as long as you can provide a copy of the old passport with the U sticker, you will be get your OCI re-issued.
Regards,
crowbar6

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:12 pm

Old passports are sent separately and much later than the newly issued one as a matter of prioritization. The helpline was a bit clueless and contradictory. Best bet to trace the passport is
https://delivery.tnt.com/tracking and use your application number. It should show two deliveries - for British passport and documents.

If the original date for delivery has passed, TNT will just sit on the parcel and someone has to manually adjust the date. You can do this with the above link and I suggest you do that than to call TNT or passport office. My experience was TNT person delayed it further, passport office used the same site.

The 5 pounds just means they send using TNT, who are overwhelmed. Oh, and don't expect deliveries on Monday according to some, but it may also work. Can't pick up from office for "security".

Hope it works out.