ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Timing on entering the UK with spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

seramun
Newly Registered
United States of America

Timing on entering the UK with spouse visa

Post by seramun » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Hello,

Apologies if this question was already asked, I could not find it. I am looking to move to the UK with my husband (I am American, he is a UK citizen), we currently both live in the US. Ideally I would like to wait to move to the UK until I have a job there, but I think I can't get a job there until I have the spouse visa. If I apply for it now, does anyone know how long it is valid for? If for example, it takes me 6 months to get a job after I receive the visa and I am still living in the US, can I enter with that same visa?

Thanks very much, I hope the question is clear.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Re: Timing on entering the UK with spouse visa

Post by Korekt » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:45 pm

The visa if granted should be for 33 months. A 90-day vignette is currently issued to facilitate entry to the UK and the BRP (visa) can thereafter be collected from a nominated post office.

If you're unable to enter the UK and the vignette expires, it needs to be renewed. But essentially you can enter whenever you're able to. However, note that the 5-year residency period to settlement (ILR) commences from the date of entry to the UK on the visa granted, so generally the earlier the better.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Timing on entering the UK with spouse visa

Post by seagul » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:26 pm

seramun wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:46 pm
Ideally I would like to wait to move to the UK until I have a job there, but I think I can't get a job there until I have the spouse visa
But your sponsor will have to start working for at least 6 months before sponsoring you unless you have sufficient cash savings of £62500 or he has been working in USA and would receive a job offer in UK to start work within 3 months on arrival.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.