ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

DKV
India

Naturalisation queries

Post by DKV » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I am about to apply for naturalisation in the next 2 weeks. My ILR was granted last year in September under 10 years LR category. I have got few questions (see below) and please can someone answer these if possible:

• Based on the AN guidance, I would require my passport copy, BRP details, UK Masters certificate, Life in the UK pass letter, 10 years work history, last 5 years travel history and 2 referees. Do I need any more documents?

• When do I submit the documents? Do I need them on the date of application submission? The reason for asking is I am waiting for my Self-assessment statement of account from HMRC that I requested last week. It should be with me in next 3-4 days.

• I have got an expired passport and a new passport. Do I need to scan both of them when requested?

• I am self employed and employed. Am I ok to select both options in the application and add further details on page 23 of the application?

• In section 6.7 of application, it says BRP enclosed? Is it mandatory to send BRP or do I have an option. Ideally I need it.

• Section 6.13 and 6.14 of application - Is this section referring to previously given biometrics? I gave my biometrics last in 2017.

• I was out of country in 2015 from 5th October to 28th October so am I right in saying that I have to submit my application before 5th of October 2020 or after 28th October?

• Can a professional referee be a PHD holder working as Assistant professor at a University in the UK? Or my second option is an IT consultant who is self-employed in the UK. Would he be ok?

• I got my SAR regarding my 10 years employment in the UK but it does not have end dates. I remember the end dates roughly but do the end dates have to be accurate?

• Would my passport be kept with them until the application is processed?

Thanks in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Naturalisation queries

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Firstly you have to fill the AN form online. There is no paper form anymore. But I will answer your questions.

1) No
2) You will apply online. After, you will scan and upload all documents via UKVCAS before biometrics appointment.
3) Passport(s) covering the last 5 years i.e. your qualifying period.
4) Yes
5) No originals are sent. Scanned copies are uploaded.
6) N/A for online form.
7) Correct
8- https://www.gov.im/media/624353/listofreferees.pdf
9) Estimates will do. Mention in additional notes.
10) No. Scanned copies only.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... onality-an

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... uly_20.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

PS Date of application is the date you pay and submit online. Calculate eligibility accordingly.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:54 pm

• Section 6.13 and 6.14 of application - Is this section referring to previously given biometrics? I gave my biometrics last in 2017.
You would have enrolled biometrics for ILR!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:31 am

Thanks Cullinan for your detailed response

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:34 am

@CR001,

I applied for ILR via the postal route in 2017 and gave biometrics same year. I was finally granted ILR after 2 years.

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:55 am

Hi everyone,

One more question. Please can someone answer-

I was refused ILR in 2019 based on tax discrepancy and 322(5) was imposed. I then appealed to the first tier tribunal, won the appeal and eventually ILR was granted. My ILR was granted as the judge could not find any dishonesty. Will this have any bearing on my naturalisation application?

Thanks in advance

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:06 am

DKV wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:55 am
Hi everyone,

One more question. Please can someone answer-

I was refused ILR in 2019 based on tax discrepancy and 322(5) was imposed. I then appealed to the first tier tribunal, won the appeal and eventually ILR was granted. My ILR was granted as the judge could not find any dishonesty. Will this have any bearing on my naturalisation application?

Thanks in advance
No
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:12 am

Cullinan,

Thank you so much for the quick response

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:23 am

Hi,

I am currently double checking my naturalisation application and have few doubts. Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to clear any doubts before making the payment. Please can someone answer these:

I have filled the application online and the system has generated the below checklist:

1. My passport
2. Degree certificate
3. Proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions (This is my ILR BRP I suppose)
4. Current BRP
5. Proof of living in the UK for last 5 years (This is my passport copy I suppose)
6.Two referee declarations
7. Most recent tax year statement as proof of self employment.

Below the checklist it mentions the following:

Providing your documents
You must provide your documents after you submit your application, these can be originals or copies. Any passports provided must be originals.

Do I need to submit my original passport and BRP?

For the question 'Confirm you can provide this passport', I answered saying 'I can provide this passport if required'. Is this why the checklist is asking for my original passport?

I have mentioned the Life in the UK test number in the application. Is this enough or do i need to upload the pass notification letter? The checklist does not ask for Life in the UK test evidence.

I have stated that both referees are my friends for the question 'how does the referee know the applicant'. Is this ok? Can a friend be referee? I couldn't find anything regarding this that a friend cannot be a referee.

My professional referee is a director of limited company. I have mentioned the profession as director but do I need to give more details like company's name? How d they verify that my professional referee satisfies the requirement?

The application is asking for an end date for my second employment where I am still working. Can I put a date of next year when I am actually planning to leave?

I am self employed as well in addition to two employments. I have selected employed and self employed in employment section. Do I have to give the start dates in employment history section?

Finally if I wanted to add some important information where would this be added usually? I wanted to mention that i am not 100% confident about a couple of employment start dates. Can this be done now or later on during biometrics appointment?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:50 am

DKV wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:23 am
Hi,

I am currently double checking my naturalisation application and have few doubts. Sorry for the long winded post but I wanted to clear any doubts before making the payment. Please can someone answer these:

I have filled the application online and the system has generated the below checklist:

1. My passport
2. Degree certificate
3. Proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions (This is my ILR BRP I suppose)
4. Current BRP
5. Proof of living in the UK for last 5 years (This is my passport copy I suppose)
6.Two referee declarations
7. Most recent tax year statement as proof of self employment.
correct all above

Below the checklist it mentions the following:

Providing your documents
You must provide your documents after you submit your application, these can be originals or copies. Any passports provided must be originals.

No. Scanned and uploaded BUT you need original passport for your UKVCAS appointment

Do I need to submit my original passport and BRP?

For the question 'Confirm you can provide this passport', I answered saying 'I can provide this passport if required'. Is this why the checklist is asking for my original passport?
This is how you should have answered

I have mentioned the Life in the UK test number in the application. Is this enough or do i need to upload the pass notification letter? The checklist does not ask for Life in the UK test evidence.
Upload pass notification letter also

I have stated that both referees are my friends for the question 'how does the referee know the applicant'. Is this ok? Can a friend be referee? I couldn't find anything regarding this that a friend cannot be a referee.
No issues

My professional referee is a director of limited company. I have mentioned the profession as director but do I need to give more details like company's name? How d they verify that my professional referee satisfies the requirement?
They will make their own checks if needed

The application is asking for an end date for my second employment where I am still working. Can I put a date of next year when I am actually planning to leave?
As far as I know, there is no end date asked for current employment

I am self employed as well in addition to two employments. I have selected employed and self employed in employment section. Do I have to give the start dates in employment history section?
Answer as asked in question. This is not a trick question

Finally if I wanted to add some important information where would this be added usually? I wanted to mention that i am not 100% confident about a couple of employment start dates. Can this be done now or later on during biometrics appointment?
There is additional space at the end of the form or add a cover letter

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks Cullinan for the reply.

Apologies if my question was unclear but regarding the self employment, my question was whether I add the self employment details like start of self employment etc.

Another question please if you don't mind. In the immigration details section, for question 'Name in which you made the application' I answered My Name / Category of visa applied . I have listed all the applications going back to Jan 2009. I am hoping this is ok.

Many thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:07 pm

DKV wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:41 pm
Thanks Cullinan for the reply.

Apologies if my question was unclear but regarding the self employment, my question was whether I add the self employment details like start of self employment etc.
You have to list last 10 years employment. List relevant self-employment periods as it is

Another question please if you don't mind. In the immigration details section, for question 'Name in which you made the application' I answered My Name / Category of visa applied . I have listed all the applications going back to Jan 2009. I am hoping this is ok.

Yes ALL. It is YOUR name not the category. However, I like to list is in the format: [your full name][category] e.g. [Mr. X][Tier 1 etc]

Many thanks

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks Cullinan.

If I understood it right then the answer in my scenario would be:

(My name) (ILR)
(My name) (Tier 1 Extension)
(My name) (Tier 1 Gen)
(My name) (PSW)
(My name) (Student)

Many thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:33 pm

DKV wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:15 pm
Thanks Cullinan.

If I understood it right then the answer in my scenario would be:

(My name) (ILR)
(My name) (Tier 1 Extension)
(My name) (Tier 1 Gen)
(My name) (PSW)
(My name) (Student)

Many thanks
Correct. I like to do it this way. However, your name alone is enough also.

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:41 pm

Thank you so much for answering all the questions. Really appreciate your help.

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi Cullinan,

Few more questions if you don't mind please. Below is my checklist:

1. My passport
2. Proof of living in the UK for last 5 years (This is my passport copy I suppose)
4. Degree certificate
5.Two referee declarations
6. Most recent tax year statement as proof of self employment & Recent Tax return.
7. Current BRP
  • Do they require all pages including blank pages from my current and old passports? Scan copies are around 6MB each so both passports are around 12MB in size. Are they too big to upload? What is maximum size available for upload?
  • For above points 1 & 2, the evidence is my passport. Do I upload the document twice or once copy is enough?
    For points 3 & 7, the evidence is BRP. Again do they expect the BRP copy to be uploaded twice?
  • Is any passport photograph ok for referee forms or does it have to meet a specification?
Thanks in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:43 pm

DKV wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:37 pm
Hi Cullinan,

Few more questions if you don't mind please. Below is my checklist:

1. My passport
2. Proof of living in the UK for last 5 years (This is my passport copy I suppose)
4. Degree certificate
5.Two referee declarations
6. Most recent tax year statement as proof of self employment & Recent Tax return.
7. Current BRP
  • Do they require all pages including blank pages from my current and old passports? Scan copies are around 6MB each so both passports are around 12MB in size. Are they too big to upload? What is maximum size available for upload?
Passport(s) and stamps covering the 5 year qualifying period only. Max file size should be less than 6MB. If you can not contain the file size, make 2/3 files, no issues
  • For above points 1 & 2, the evidence is my passport. Do I upload the document twice or once copy is enough?
    For points 3 & 7, the evidence is BRP. Again do they expect the BRP copy to be uploaded twice?
once
  • Is any passport photograph ok for referee forms or does it have to meet a specification?
Passport size photo meeting the official UK passport requirements (although not used) I suppose.

Thanks in advance.
The size of your printed photos
You need to provide 2 identical photos.

They must:

measure 45 millimetres (mm) high by 35mm wide (the standard size used in photo booths in the UK)
not be a cut down version of a larger picture
Note the above measurements are not specifically for referee forms but for UK passport, I like to follow them.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Actually the rules are specified on the referee form:

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks a lot Cullinan.

A couple more questions please-

I have filled all my 10 year employment details starting from most recent. I am self employed as well. I was thinking of filling my self employment details on a cover letter. I started my self employment in 2010 and file tax returns every year although I don't earn a lot being self-employed. I have a copy of most recent tax account statement and recent tax return. Is this ok?

Immigration applications- Is this referring to only applications made to UKBA or UKVI? The reason for asking is I have applied for business visa to Ireland twice and Schengen visa to Poland once.

Thanks in advance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:41 pm

1) Yes
2) UK immigration applications only.

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi Cullinan,

One final question please-

I received a letter from local council last year in November regarding a little fridge that was left for collection in our backyard. The wording is as below:

Dear XXXX,

Anti-social behaviour, Crime and policing act 2014
Advisory (House No), (Street name), waste on the property

Council has recently received a complaint regarding domestic waste left behind. This is having a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality where people live.

The council has a legal obligation to investigate all complaints and to do so in an impartial manner. If you feel the complaint is not justified or you think someone else is causing the problem please contact me to discuss the matter further. However if you think that you may be at fault, I would ask that you give this matter careful consideration and take steps necessary to reduce the likelihood of any further complaints.

If you require any further information or advice please contact me on the number above quoting your reference XXXXXXX in all communications.

I immediately took the fridge to waste center and disposed it. I have not heard anything after that from council. The letter is from enforcement officer in 'Environment and Greenspace action team' and also the letter head has council and Yorkshire police logo. Do you think this is something I should declare? I am not sure advisory means and was worried after seeing the logo and words like anti social behaviour.

Is this something to worry or am i overthinking? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:44 pm

You are overthinking!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:49 pm

As long no FPN was issued and the matter was not taken to court, no need to declare.

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks CR001 and Cullinan.

DKV
India

Post by DKV » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:47 am

Hi,

I have paid the fees earlier this week and wanted to know some information regarding the available folders on UKVCAS website. Some of them are self-explanatory but wanted to check with experts here please. Can all the documents (pdfs) be scanned in colour?

My checklist consists of the following list of documents:

• My passport
• Proof of living in the UK for last 5 years
• Proof of freedom from immigration restrictions
• Degree certificate
• Two referee declarations
• HMRC most recent tax year statement and corresponding HMRC tax return as proof of self-employment
• Current BRP

The folders available on UKVCAS website are:

Mandatory

Proof of application (My passport) – I have a new passport that was issued last year and an expired one. Can I upload both copies here or just the new one?

Optional

Other – Is this for referee forms, Life in the UK pass copy and covering letter?
Residence in the UK – Is this ILR BRP?
Finances
Proof Of Business – Is this HMRC most recent tax year statement and recent tax return?
Life Events
Medical Information
Sponsors/Employment
Proof of Identity/Travel History – Do I upload my old and new passport copies?
Educational – My UK Masters degree

Thanks in advance