ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First Adult British Passport and Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

N1234
United Kingdom

First Adult British Passport and Covid-19

Post by N1234 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:52 pm

I am not sure if this is the right way to ask a question in this forum but I didn't any discussion sub for British passport, so I will ask the questions anyway.

1) On the gov website, it says don't apply for a passport unless you are traveling on or before 30/19/2020. is that really restriction or advice as a lot of people seem to have applied regardless in the Passport processing timeline.

2) In regards to referee, do I only need one referee that's professional as oppose to two like naturalisation? I believe an email gets sent to the referee and do they need to fill it out before I send submit on the application if I do it online?

3) I come from a refugee background. Do I just send my Naturalisation certificate and Travel document as I don't have the "passport I entered with", which they request as part of the evidence.

Thank you in advance!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: First Adult British Passport and Covid-19

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:32 pm

1) Advice, otherwise expect delays.

2) You need one person to confirm identity. Check the gov website for eligibility.

https://www.gov.uk/confirm-identity-onl ... pplication

3) Yes, you should also write a cover letter than you are returning your HOTD. HMPO will retain your HOTD and send to the relevant TDS Section department in Croydon. They will also issue a letter that they have retained your HOTD and issue you a BP.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

N1234
United Kingdom

Post by N1234 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:03 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:32 pm
1) Advice, otherwise expect delays.

2) You need one person to confirm identity. Check the gov website for eligibility.

https://www.gov.uk/confirm-identity-onl ... pplication

3) Yes, you should also write a cover letter than you are returning your HOTD. HMPO will retain your HOTD and send to the relevant TDS Section department in Croydon. They will also issue a letter that they have retained your HOTD and issue you a BP.
Thank you for your reply. What should the cover letter say exactly, is there a template? Also why do I need to do that, am I not supposed to keep the travel documents as it has stamps on them of my travels.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:12 pm

You can not keep your HO travel document after you become a British Citizen. Once a British Passport is issued, HOTD is useless and must be destroyed by the TDS Section.
There is no template. I have already mentioned what you need to mention.
Holders of HOTDs who have become British citizens
When a person becomes a British citizen they no longer qualify for an HOTD. TDS must destroy the HOTD and, on request, must return any national passport previously kept by TDS to the holder by recorded delivery post.
Page 50

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _clean.pdf
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:18 pm

Even if you do not write a cover letter, there is a possibility HMPO will confiscate the HOTD after BP is issued.

However, if they send you back, its your responsibility to return the HOTD to the TDS Croydon.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:26 pm

N1234 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:03 pm
Also why do I need to do that, am I not supposed to keep the travel documents as it has stamps on them of my travels.
Scan the various pages that have stamps and save a copy to your system/print them out for future reference.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

N1234
United Kingdom

Post by N1234 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:38 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:26 pm
N1234 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:03 pm
Also why do I need to do that, am I not supposed to keep the travel documents as it has stamps on them of my travels.
Scan the various pages that have stamps and save a copy to your system/print them out for future reference.
I have done that. I have my ceremony tomorrow. Could I start the application today and submit tomorrow? Or is it one of those applications where you have to submit it in the same day?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm

You have to submit the passport application in one go. You can not save it. You can only apply for a British Passport after you are British i.e. tomorrow.

N1234
United Kingdom

Post by N1234 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:33 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm
You have to submit the passport application in one go. You can not save it. You can only apply for a British Passport after you are British i.e. tomorrow.
Thank you. Just recived my certificate.. feeling exited.

I am currently filing out my application and it's asking me to provide details of my parents. Can I leave it blank as I don't have my parents in the uk and they don't hold British citizenship therefore not relevant? couldn't find anything in the archive.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:36 pm

N1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:33 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

I am currently filing out my application and it's asking me to provide details of my parents. Can I leave it blank as I don't have my parents in the uk and they don't hold British citizenship therefore not relevant? couldn't find anything in the archive.
Fill as the online form asks. You can not proceed otherwise unless it lets you.

N1234
United Kingdom

Post by N1234 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:46 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:36 pm
N1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:33 pm
CULLINAN wrote:

Fill as the online form asks. You can not proceed otherwise unless it lets you.
You can give a reason as to why you can't give the details and proceed. I was thinking of putting "my parents don't live in the uk and don't hold British citenzinship therefore the information isn't relavent"

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:58 pm

If that lets you move on then no issue - note the next section may be grandparents, against not relevant for naturalised applicants.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

N1234
United Kingdom

Post by N1234 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:58 pm
If that lets you move on then no issue - note the next section may be grandparents, against not relevant for naturalised applicants.
It didn't have that, but on the next section I had to put parents country of birth and nationality etc. so they might come back to me and ask me for the name and date of birth. I will update this page ones I hear back. I also used my friend that's not on the list of professional to sign for me, I will update this if it gets approved or not, hopefully this will be useful to someone in the future.
He graduated as electrical engineer and now he is software engineer. (I literally don't know any other professional so I decided to take the risk)

N1234
United Kingdom

Post by N1234 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:36 am

My passport just got approved!!! I think this was the easiest application so far. It's not very intrusive. The application was very simple. They asked for my parents name and I put it's no relevant since I am British by naturalisation. I also couldn't find any professional from the list they provided, I had a friend works as a software engineer, without an accredited licence. I took the risk as I couldn't find any other professional and it worked.

I am not advising anyone to not get professional, but might be worth taking a risk. Worst case scenario they ask you to provide a different referee. No need to be scared of messing up like other immigration applications, you are now British lol.

tl;dr- My passport application was approved by using non accredited Engineer as a referee.

N1234
United Kingdom

Post by N1234 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:48 am

N1234 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:58 pm
It didn't have that, but on the next section I had to put parents country of birth and nationality etc. so they might come back to me and ask me for the name and date of birth. I will update this page ones I hear back. I also used my friend that's not on the list of professional to sign for me, I will update this if it gets approved or not, hopefully this will be useful to someone in the future.
He graduated as electrical engineer and now he is software engineer. (I literally don't know any other professional so I decided to take the risk)
I said I would update this once approved.... my application for British passport has been approved. The risk has paid off lol

tl;dr- Application for a passport approved by using a software engineer(non accredited engineer) as referee. Also if you are applying as naturalisation, you don't have to provide parents details.

note: I am not saying you shouldn't use professional as per the list but if you can't find one and your are desperate like I was, it might be worth taking the risk with what you have.