ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Application queries in paid internship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Alex2020
Newly Registered
Russia

Citizenship Application queries in paid internship

Post by Alex2020 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Hello, I would like to follow up and ask a question on a somewhat similar matter.

My route is 5 year (Tier 2) + ILR for 12 months, eligible for BC now.

I am out of work since January 2020, but had paid internship in July-September this year.

I am wondering 1) whether I need to register as self-employed and record that income with HMRC before I apply and 2) whether I need to provide anything in the application on that matter?

Alex

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship Application queries in paid internship

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Please do not tag your questions onto other members topics that has no relevance to your query.

Presumably you were paid through PAYE payroll for the internship?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:52 pm

No issues. Were you on the payroll for the paid internship? If yes, you would have paid the tax via PAYE scheme (if any tax). All you need is PAYE ref number.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Alex2020
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by Alex2020 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Thanks CROO1 and CULLINAN. Apologies for posting it in the other topic (I thought it was a related one).. then I had troubles finding this one :)

I am not sure whether I was on the payroll or not. I am checking it currently with my employer. I definitely received a gross amount (small internship pay), and nothing was withheld or paid by the employer.

I double-checked with HMRC today, who informed me they have no information from that employer about my internship, assuming I was self-employed and suggesting to fill in income information manually through self-assessment. I mentioned that three months that pay would be below the starting annual personal allowance i.e. it is unlikely I owe anything yet. They informed me I should be filling all income by April next year for me to determine how much tax and NI contribution I owe... Hello, I would like to follow up and ask a question on a somewhat similar matter.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Alex2020 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:45 pm

I am not sure whether I was on the payroll or not. I am checking it currently with my employer. I definitely received a gross amount (small internship pay), and nothing was withheld or paid by the employer.

I double-checked with HMRC today, who informed me they have no information from that employer about my internship,
Maybe they kept you as a volunteer who usually receive some funds or gets reimbursed over their food, travel, lunch expense which I guess aren't taxable.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.