ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Guidance, renewing spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

Vicki0211
Newly Registered
Mood:
Albania

Guidance, renewing spouse visa

Post by Vicki0211 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:22 pm

Hello all

My husband has a 2 year spouse visa due to expire middle of October next year.

When should we submit an application to renew? And can he travel right up until when we submit the application?

Also, a few people have said he is eligible to switch to 5 year route. What does this mean?

Thank you
Vicki

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Guidance, renewing spouse visa

Post by seagul » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Vicki0211 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:22 pm
Hello all

My husband has a 2 year spouse visa due to expire middle of October next year.
It usually is granted for 33 months (from outside of UK) or 30 months ( from inside of UK) so not sure whether have you said/written correctly.
Vicki0211 wrote:
When should we submit an application to renew?
Anyways extension can be applied after 30 months minus 28 days from the date of arrival.
Vicki0211 wrote:
And can he travel right up until when we submit the application?
No as application would be treated as withdrawn
Vicki0211 wrote:
Also, a few people have said he is eligible to switch to 5 year route. What does this mean?

Thank you
Vicki
Which visa has he got? Above answers are in light of spouse visa under 5 years route.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Vicki0211
Newly Registered
Mood:
Albania

Post by Vicki0211 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Sorry, it was 30 months. We applied in the UK, as a partner of me (British citizen).

We applied initially and were declined but the applied again with proof of my pregnancy and then approved for 30 months on the 10 year route.

In terms of travelling, what are the rules? How long needs to be left on the visa?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:52 pm

Vicki0211 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 pm
Sorry, it was 30 months. We applied in the UK, as a partner of me (British citizen).
OK
Vicki0211 wrote:
We applied initially and were declined but the applied again with proof of my pregnancy and then approved for 30 months on the 10 year route.
If you wish then may consider to switch in to 5 years of route with a new ILR clock provided the relevant requirements pertaining to financial and English language can be met. For this purpose, you can even apply anytime before the expiry of present visa.
Vicki0211 wrote:
In terms of travelling, what are the rules? How long needs to be left on the visa?
Once the application is submitted then despite the existing visa hasn't yet been expired, the applicant cannot travel, otherwise the application will be deemed as withdrawn.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Vicki0211
Newly Registered
Mood:
Albania

Post by Vicki0211 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Thank you. That’s very helpful.

On switching, is it best to do this through a solicitor or is it simple enough to do ourselves? I had a quick look but couldn’t find guidance.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Vicki0211 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:59 pm
Thank you. That’s very helpful.

On switching, is it best to do this through a solicitor or is it simple enough to do ourselves? I had a quick look but couldn’t find guidance.
There is no need of any solicitor because the application is pretty straightforward if all the requirement get met. You can read the following official information along with member experiences which are countless and can be searched.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... gov-uk.pdf