ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on surname change before citizenship application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

blr_uk
Newly Registered

Advice on surname change before citizenship application

Post by blr_uk » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi there,

I’m currently holding ILR and I’m eligible to apply for citizenship. I’m married but I’m still using my maiden surname only. I would like to add my husband’s surname as well, so my plan is holding both surnames. However I’m unsure about when to make this change.

I’m aware that name on my passport and BRP must match for all applications. I would like to ask what would be the best route to follow in this case. Would you recommend changing my surname before application and start the naturalisation process with the updated surname? I’m hesitant to go through this route as it will take longer time and it seems like updating name and waiting for a new BRP could be a hassle.

Or ,would it make more sense to keep my current surname and apply for adding second surname after getting British citizenship? Would I need to do deed poll for this, what would be the process?

I would appreciate if you can advise which way would be easier for this change.

Thank you in advance for your help!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Advice on surname change before citizenship application

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:05 am

I would suggest to wait till you become British first. You will have to start the process then. First you will have to get the name changed on your non-British passport to get the same name on the British Passport.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

blr_uk
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on surname change before citizenship application

Post by blr_uk » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:57 pm

Many thanks for your reply CULLINAN !