ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing the spelling of the first name

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

andrvetch
Newly Registered
Belarus

Changing the spelling of the first name

Post by andrvetch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Hello,

My son has an Indefinite Leave to Remain. We would like to change how his first name is spelled. Can you please help me with the following question:
- If he changes his passport name while in his home country, will he be able to enter the UK as he will have different first names in passport and ILR?
- If he changes his first name in the passport, should he apply for BRP update?
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-service
- When he applies for naturalisation in 12 months time, will changing name cause any problems?

Thank you!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Changing the spelling of the first name

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Wait for naturalisation then change name. You will open a can of worms if you do it the other way around.

andrvetch
Newly Registered
Belarus

Post by andrvetch » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Thank you very much, Zerubbabel!

I really need to understand why this timing is better as I am confused. I would be really grateful if you could explain. If he changes his name in passport and then on BRP, what would be the problem with naturalisation?

Thank you in advance!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:36 pm

It's not really a problem with the naturalisation, but with the HMPO to get a passport later.

You will need to show:

Foreign passport + Foreign birth certificate + naturalisation certificate all with the same name.

Technically, if you change everything, it will work but be very careful as they don't negotiate and there are naturalised British people who never managed to get a passport due to discrepancies in their names.