ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax credits with no NI Number

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sweet
Newly Registered

Tax credits with no NI Number

Post by sweet » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:29 pm

My husband applied for tax credits about a month and half ago.We have not received anything yet,not even an acknowledgement letter.I'm really worried there could be a problem.
Our situation is like this,my husband is a BC and so is our son who is over one year.We didn't know we could claim tax credits until recently.

When we filled the forms we didn't know I also had to have a NI number.I'm an asylum seeker and I used to work on a temporary number.I stopped working over 4 years ago.I didn't put anything on the tax credits form for my NI number because I thought they wanted a permanent number.Now I'm thinking this could be causing a delay.

Any help is welcome.

lesley15

Post by lesley15 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:52 pm

You should try phoning them,they are always helpful.They also back date payments up to three months.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 pm

They should arrange for you to have an appointment to get an NI number. I didn't have an NI number when my husband and I applied. We called beforehand and they told me once they received the application they would notify the local job center and I'd get an appointment to get an NI number. In my case, it took forever, and after waiting ages and getting the runaround when I called the tax credits office, I just called the job center and made an appointment for myself since I was also looking for a job and had evidence of such.

sweet
Newly Registered

Post by sweet » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:10 am

Thanks for the replies.The thing is I am not allowed to work,will they still issue me with one.If they do what sort of questions will they ask at the interview.I'm really worried as I said I used to work with a temporary NI number.Will they ask me about that.That was over 4 years ago though.