ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 prep work - queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

srsw

MN1 prep work - queries

Post by srsw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:39 pm

I've started a draft MN1 application for my 10 year & 3 year old kids, so appreciate your inputs please.

1. Can professional referee use their work address instead of their home address? I'm hoping they will agree if they can use work address rather than home address.

I know one of the questions is "Have they lived at this address for more than 3 years?" but I'm hoping it's still ok to use work address.

2. If it's ok to use work address, do I need to add a cover letter explaining the same just to be clear?

3. Can I submit the application as soon as my ILR approval letter is received or should I wait until BRP arrival? Based on this I'm guessing approval letter is sufficient "If Miss xxxx told us that their parent is settled in the UK then you must provide us evidence of their settled status. This could include a BRP, a letter from the Home Office, an endorsement in their passport or another document certifying permanent residence."

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: MN1 prep work - queries

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:49 pm

Where are your kids born?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:49 pm
Where are your kids born?
Both in the UK.

mumofmini

Post by mumofmini » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:36 am

3) No. You'll need your BRP card. The BRP approval mail clearly states that "You will receive your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) by courier within 7 working days. It is your BRP, not this letter, that is the official document that grants you status."

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:21 am

1/2) As you already know, the form asks for home address, but I do not see any problems in providing the work address with an explanation in the cover letter. As long HO can contact the referee at that address (if need be), should be okay.

3) It is better to apply when you have the ILR BRP in hand to keep it simple. Some times there can be a delay in printing the BRP - the approval letter date and BRP issue date may differ. Does the form not require the BRP number?
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:27 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:21 am
1/2) As you already know, the form asks for home address, but I do not see any problems in providing the work address with an explanation in the cover letter. As long HO can contact the referee at that address (if need be), should be okay.

3) It is better to apply when you have the ILR BRP in hand to keep it simple. Some times there can be a delay in printing the BRP - the approval letter date and BRP issue date may differ. Does the form not require the BRP number?
Thanks CULLINAN. The application only asks the following and no BRP number.

"Date this parent / legal guardian became settled in the United Kingdom"

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:34 am

Better to apply when you have ILR BRP in hand. It takes only a week more anyways.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:43 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:34 am
Better to apply when you have ILR BRP in hand. It takes only a week more anyways.
Yeah, makes sense.

I was just trying to see if I can save some time as the whole process takes months, i.e. registration & then 1st passport. Also, these lockdowns going to slow things further.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:45 am

Better to play safe. It will be hardly a week difference.

srsw

Post by srsw » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:32 pm

Hey @CULLINNAN couple of follow up questions please:

1. Is there any requirement for referee letter to be dated with 28 days or a month of the application submission? I'm still waiting for ILR approval but want to get referee letters ready if there's no such requirement.

2. I'm pretty sure it's fine, but just want to double check. My neighbor knows both my kids (obviously 😃) so can she be referee for both kids?

3. "Do you have any other details that you would like to be considered regarding this applicant and their
application to be registered as a British Citizen?" Both my kids meet all requirements, including good character requirement (aged 10) & see no issues, but one of them has special needs so is there any merit to add such details under this question? I'm guessing down the line (@age 18) taking oath or meeting any English requirement or LITUK can't be fulfilled so just want to make sure I highlight it now.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:44 pm

1) Not really but now it should not be 6 months old. Ideally it should be closer to the date of application (reasonable time is okay).

2) https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf
If the neighbour meets the requirements as set in the form, then yes. You can use the same referee for both kids.

3)
Oath and pledge
Unlike adults, when children successfully obtain citizenship there is no legal requirement for them to attend a ceremony and take the oath and pledge. However, if they are part of a successful family application they will receive an invite along with their parents to attend the ceremony and receive their certificate of registration, and if they wish, take the oath and pledge.
Page 11

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6.0ext.pdf

You should select “no” to the question as your kids already meet the requirements.
Last edited by CULLINAN on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:44 pm

1. I would suggest you wait for your ilr before getting the referee forms signed.

2. Should be ok for UK born children. Note you need TWO referees, one British and on of any matin ality who is a professional on the list, idealling someone engage with the child like a teacher for example.

3. There is NO reason to include any such detail. You are overthinking. Unclear why you believe the child will need oath ceremony and liuk at any point later. There is NO such requirment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srsw

Post by srsw » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:15 pm

Thank you @CR001 and @CULLINAN for your inputs.

Regarding referee forms I just want to start the conversation with professional referees (school teacher/ school head / SEN coordinator & preschool teachers) as I'm not sure yet who will be willing to provide their personal details & sign the form.

Also, holidays coming up so just want to kick off the conversation at least. I'll try to get the forms signed after my ILR approval. Btw, my neighbor is British Citizen, and she is happy to be a referee.

I'll mention "No" to 3rd question as advised.

One additional question pls... My younger one started new preschool this September as previous one closed due to pandemic. Can I still approach old preschool teacher to be a referee? However I can't find them on Ofsted list anymore. She is the only one who knows the kid in professional capacity for the longest duration (around an year).
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:35 pm

Yes no issues.

srsw

Post by srsw » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:29 am

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:35 pm
Yes no issues.
Thank you!

srsw

Post by srsw » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 pm

A couple of questions related to the checklist that is generated at the end of the draft MN1 application.
Text in red is a question, text in blue is what I'll provide as evidence.

1. The passport issued for Miss XXXX (Current passport or previous passports as well? Full passport scan or just front & back + stamped pages?)
2. Proof of Mr Dad's parental responsibility for Miss XXXX (Full Birth Certificate)
3. Proof of Mrs Mum's parental responsibility for Miss XXXX (Full Birth Certificate)
4. If Miss XXXX told us that their parent is settled in the UK then you must provide us evidence of their settled status. This could include a BRP, a letter from the Home Office, an endorsement in their passport or another document certifying permanent residence.
5. A letter of consent from Miss XXXX's parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
6. Miss XXXX's parents' marriage certificate
7. Two referee declarations for Miss XXXX
8. If Miss XXXX has a passport then provide this with your application. (same as point 1)
9. Miss XXXX's birth certificate (showing details of both parents). (Same as 2 & 3)
10. Miss XXXX's current biometric residence permit (BRP)

Anything else to add such as parent's passports (full or just bio/address pages), etc?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:44 pm

srsw wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 pm
A couple of questions related to the checklist that is generated at the end of the draft MN1 application.
Text in red is a question, text in blue is what I'll provide as evidence.

1. The passport issued for Miss XXXX (Current passport or previous passports as well? Full passport scan or just front & back + stamped pages?)
Current Bio page only is enough
2. Proof of Mr Dad's parental responsibility for Miss XXXX (Full Birth Certificate)
3. Proof of Mrs Mum's parental responsibility for Miss XXXX (Full Birth Certificate)
4. If Miss XXXX told us that their parent is settled in the UK then you must provide us evidence of their settled status. This could include a BRP, a letter from the Home Office, an endorsement in their passport or another document certifying permanent residence.
5. A letter of consent from Miss XXXX's parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
6. Miss XXXX's parents' marriage certificate
7. Two referee declarations for Miss XXXX
8. If Miss XXXX has a passport then provide this with your application. (same as point 1)
9. Miss XXXX's birth certificate (showing details of both parents). (Same as 2 & 3)
10. Miss XXXX's current biometric residence permit (BRP)

Anything else to add such as parent's passports (full or just bio/address pages), etc?
No
All blue is OK.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Perfect! Thanks @CULLINAN.

srsw

Post by srsw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:30 pm

Hello @CR001 and @CULLINAN...

We (parents) got our ILR applications approved today :D , so just getting things ready while we wait for BRPs to arrive. Looking at the MN1 registration timelines, it's going to take 3-6 months, but we would like to visit home country in Summer (end of July to end of Aug), so a few questions please:

1. I believe children can travel outside the UK while their citizenship application is pending. We just need to make sure they give their Biometrics before they go on holiday. Is this right?

2. What if the registration certificate arrives before we leave? Can they still travel out of & back into the UK on their Indian passports & Tier 2 dependent BRPs?

3. Do we get the registration certificate in ordinary post or do we need to sign it? (In case it arrives when we are all out of the UK).

4. Can we (parents) cut & send our Tier 2 BRP cards back to HO once we receive our ILR BRPs? or should we hold on to them for any reasons (Kid's application related reasons)?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:41 pm

srsw wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:30 pm
Hello @CR001 and @CULLINAN...

We (parents) got our ILR applications approved today :D , so just getting things ready while we wait for BRPs to arrive. Looking at the MN1 registration timelines, it's going to take 3-6 months, but we would like to visit home country in Summer (end of July to end of Aug), so a few questions please:

1. I believe children can travel outside the UK while their citizenship application is pending. We just need to make sure they give their Biometrics before they go on holiday. Is this right?
Children become British at the date of approval/date on registration certificate. After you receive the certificate, they should travel on British Passport. If you are going for a long time attend biometrics and then fly out. Biometrics these days run at a 28 days lag unless you find any earlier cancellation. Otherwise child can travel before or after biometrics does not matter

2. What if the registration certificate arrives before we leave? Can they still travel out of & back into the UK on their Indian passports & Tier 2 dependent BRPs?
I would not recommend that. In this case apply for British Passport before travelling. As of my knowledge they will loose their Indian Citizenship as soon they will become British and you will need to surrender their Indian Passport also?

3. Do we get the registration certificate in ordinary post or do we need to sign it? (In case it arrives when we are all out of the UK).
Can not be sure of that. Pre-corona it was signed for. Post-corona different things are reported.

4. Can we (parents) cut & send our Tier 2 BRP cards back to HO once we receive our ILR BRPs? or should we hold on to them for any reasons (Kid's application related reasons)?
You can send your Tier 2 BRPs back

Your children can travel on Tier 2 Dep visa. As long their Tier 2 Dep has valid date and they return to UK before that, there should not be any issues.

srsw

Post by srsw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 pm

Thanks CULLINAN.

I need to explore/research a few things to line up all the ducks in a row to avoid any issues, especially due to travel plans.

1. After submitting MN1 application, is there a limit by when the kids need to provide their biometrics?

If there's no limit then we can submit application now, book biometrics just before we travel and when we come back after 4-5 weeks we could expect the registration certificate to arrive in post. Does it sound ok?

Yes, I believe we need to surrender kids' Indian passports as soon as they acquire British citizenship to obtain surrender certificate & then apply for OCI card.

I hoped to finish all this process if ILR received back in December, but now need to plan this carefully 😑

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Biometrics deadline is the same for everyone. 45 working days after application submission.

When do you plan to travel? And how long for? 4/5 weeks?
When does their Tier 2 Dep visa expire?

To surrender Indian Passport info, you may seek help here:
other-countries/

srsw

Post by srsw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:08 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 pm
Biometrics deadline is the same for everyone. 45 working days after application submission.

When do you plan to travel? And how long for?
When does the Tier 2 Dep expire?
Oh, ok. Thanks.

School holidays start from 22nd July, so that day onwards or the week after, subject to flight tickets availability/price.

I've already booked annual leave from 22nd July onwards, up to 31st Aug, so that's how long we want to stay in India. Tier 2 dep visa expires on Nov 2021.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:02 pm

If you apply now, most likely biometrics appointment will be end April. You could possibly say by July you will get the certificates. It will be a close call given your travel.

To avoid the stress, maybe just apply in mid June, provide biometrics mid July.. you will be back by August.. and most likely you will have the certificates before Oct..

Note: Your children will not be covered by NHS costs after their Tier 2 Dep visa expiry and before they are successfully registered as BC.. so maybe by latest apply in June to incorporate your travel and be able to complete the registration for children before November..

Plus lets see how the international travel restrictions are lifted.. due by 17th May unless exceptions.. but the £5k fine law is extended till 30th June (if I am correct) for now and maybe will be lifted in August.. depending on corona situation.. you will have to see how it is..

srsw

Post by srsw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:34 pm

Just scanned the MN1 timeline again and noticed that some got their certificate around 3-4 weeks after biometrics submission and many got after 3 months.

Your suggestion sounds sensible based on the above trend (best& worst case scenarios). Perhaps apply early June & biometrics in mid July.

Only thing is if certificate arrives when we are out of the UK then I hope we are not officially/wantedly breaking any rules.

Yeah, assuming that international travel will be allowed from July onwards, but otherwise we may be able to provide medical/health justification for travel.
Last edited by srsw on Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.