ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU-national UK PR, pending citizenship application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

JohnBishop
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

EU-national UK PR, pending citizenship application

Post by JohnBishop » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to ask you for a clarification.
In 2014 I have been issued a blue paper UK Residence Document For a National of An EEA State (been in UK for over 13 years now). This document does not have any expiration date but I red on the web that apparently these are valid for 5 years?
Couple months ago I have applied for citizenship, given biometrics beginning of November.
My application is pending and I reckon looking at other people's timelines I should receive the approval/rejection end of December the earliest.
UK is leaving EU soon and my question to you is.
Do I have to apply to the new Settlement Scheme while I wait for the decision?
I know that Settlement Scheme is preventing people from applying for citizenship for 12 months or so.
Thank you
Best regards

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: EU-national UK PR, pending citizenship application

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Hello

Just keep going. Don't apply for anything.

Should your citizenship application fail, you have until June 2021 to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

However, your employer may ask you for a proof of work and you won't be able to show that. But if you don't need to provide this demonstration at short term, just leave the citizenship application in progress.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:40 pm

No issue with the PR card - mine dated back to 1984 and it was accepted (in 2016), as long as you have the proper valid document at the time of application you're fine. Until 30. June 2021 an employer cannot insist on you showing Settled Status (though many don't know that) - your EU passport is still accepted. But by that time you will have your new British passport.
https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-work
If you’re an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen, you can continue to use your passport or national identity card to prove you can work in the UK until 30 June 2021.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:28 pm

JohnBishop wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:30 pm
In 2014 I have been issued a blue paper UK Residence Document For a National of An EEA State
Does the document specifically state that you have "Permanent Residence"?

The difference between a Residence Certificate (which is not sufficient for naturalisation) and a Document Certifying Permanent Residence (which can be used for naturalisation) is one line and they are identical in every other respect, but submitting the former can cause you to lose almost the whole naturalisation fee.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JohnBishop
Newly Registered
Czech Republic

Post by JohnBishop » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Thank you Zerubbabel and alterhase58.

@secret.simon

It says Type Of Document Document Certifying Permanent Residence
The Document Renewal Date is left blank.