ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passports will no longer be stamped for IRP renewals

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Passports will no longer be stamped for IRP renewals

Post by littlerr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:14 pm

Passports will no longer have a stamp when the IRP is renewed in normal situations.

Some key takeaways:

- For online renewals (Dublin residents), you no longer need to send your passport away.

- Passports will no longer be stamped (regardless of where you live) for IRP renewals.

- Passports will still be stamped for first-time registration, or in the case of a change of passport. An in-person appointment is required for Dublin residents.

- IRP will be the only thing you need to prove your residence status. You can show it to your employer to prove you have permission to work.

- You must carry your IRP at all times, and a Gardai can request that you show this to them at any time to prove your entitlement to residence/work. (This has always been the rule, but previously Gardai may also accept a passport which has a valid stamp. This is no longer the case now.)

- When your IRP is sent away for renewals, you will get an acknowledgment letter. You need to have a copy of that letter to prove your residence permission when asked by your employer or by Gardai.

- For the purpose of making a citizenship application, you will need to make a written request to the GNIB office in order to obtain your reckonable residence period. (I hope this can be changed soon as it is going to unnecessarily create extra work for both the applicants and the GNIB staff.)

johnpromise01
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Passports will no longer be stamped for IRP renewals

Post by johnpromise01 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:39 pm

Wow! :D FANTASTIC NEWS

kupuser
Ireland

Post by kupuser » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:10 pm

I hope INIS communicate this to immigration departments / airports / airline staff of other countries as in some countries (at least) the airline staff and / or immigration desks check the stamp on your passport and IRP card before you exit and board a flight to Ireland.

Plus I'd say this will probably add extra time in the naturalisation application process. Who knows how long you'd need to wait for INIS to confirm the reckonable period.

azee81
Ireland

Post by azee81 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:46 pm

any idea how to get appointment for burgh quay dublin as it is very hard to get online.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:52 pm

Have you never got an IRP before? If yes, you need to use the online renewal platform.
If you have a new passport that was never presented to INIS before, you should email them to get an appointment.

ChristinaLeary
Turkey

Post by ChristinaLeary » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:45 pm

Hi Litterr,

One thing to clarify please? Do we also need to send IRP because as per the latest information, you do not need to send your IRP away for renewal. You just need to fill the application online and then they will send you the updated IRP if the application is approved and processed.

Many Thanks

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

ChristinaLeary wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:45 pm
Hi Litterr,

One thing to clarify please? Do we also need to send IRP because as per the latest information, you do not need to send your IRP away for renewal. You just need to fill the application online and then they will send you the updated IRP if the application is approved and processed.

Many Thanks
Where does it say that? I don’t see it anywhere.

You don’t need to send your passport but IRP will need to be sent away for renewal, hence the whole logic about having a letter as proof of registration.

TropicalTornado
Mood:
Iraq

Post by TropicalTornado » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:38 pm

ChristinaLeary wrote:
Hi Litterr,

Many Thanks
You probably need to give them the IRP card back as it has been always the case. Last time (back in 2018) I asked the officer why are you getting the expired card from us? and his answer was: "The card is the property of the Department of Justice and it's written on the card!" I looked at the card but no such thing was written. Anyway, they always get it back from you and I don't understand their logic. It's stupid and I don't know what's the use of that card is to them. I have lived previously in other European countries and we always kept the expired residency cards. and I still have them!

wec1979
Ireland

Post by wec1979 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:27 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm
ChristinaLeary wrote:
Hi Litterr,

Many Thanks

You don’t need to send your passport but IRP will need to be sent away for renewal, hence the whole logic about having a letter as proof of registration.
Hi,Litterr,
I think we don't need to send IRP as well. There is a part of knowledgement email someone who has received after the application submitted which see below.

Justice have decided to discontinue the systematic stamping of passports for those people who apply to renew their registration in this State. There is therefore no longer a requirement for applicants using the online renewal system, to submit their passport or IRP Card by post. If an application is granted, a new IRP card will follow by Express Post within 5-10 working days. This card will serve as the basis for your permission to reside in the State.

johnpromise01
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by johnpromise01 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:36 pm

wec1979 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:27 pm
littlerr wrote:
ChristinaLeary wrote:
Hi Litterr,

Many Thanks

Hi,Litterr,
I think we don't need to send IRP as well. There is a part of knowledgement email someone who has received after the application submitted which see below.

Justice have decided to discontinue the systematic stamping of passports for those people who apply to renew their registration in this State. There is therefore no longer a requirement for applicants using the online renewal system, to submit their passport or IRP Card by post. If an application is granted, a new IRP card will follow by Express Post within 5-10 working days. This card will serve as the basis for your permission to reside in the State.
Are you aware that only applicants who reside in Dublin can apply for renewal online. If you live outside Dublin you must book an appointment with your local gnib office. My understanding and as stated on the site.

wec1979
Ireland

Post by wec1979 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:41 pm

johnpromise01 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:36 pm
wec1979 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:27 pm
littlerr wrote:
ChristinaLeary wrote:
Hi Litterr,

Many Thanks

Hi,Litterr,

Are you aware that only applicants who reside in Dublin can apply for renewal online. If you live outside Dublin you must book an appointment with your local gnib office. My understanding and as stated on the site.
Yes, only applications who residen in Dublin

smamor
Ireland

Post by smamor » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:05 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:14 pm
Passports will no longer have a stamp when the IRP is renewed in normal situations.

Some key takeaways:

- For online renewals (Dublin residents), you no longer need to send your passport away.

- Passports will no longer be stamped (regardless of where you live) for IRP renewals.

- Passports will still be stamped for first-time registration, or in the case of a change of passport. An in-person appointment is required for Dublin residents.

- IRP will be the only thing you need to prove your residence status. You can show it to your employer to prove you have permission to work.

- You must carry your IRP at all times, and a Gardai can request that you show this to them at any time to prove your entitlement to residence/work. (This has always been the rule, but previously Gardai may also accept a passport which has a valid stamp. This is no longer the case now.)

- When your IRP is sent away for renewals, you will get an acknowledgment letter. You need to have a copy of that letter to prove your residence permission when asked by your employer or by Gardai.

- For the purpose of making a citizenship application, you will need to make a written request to the GNIB office in order to obtain your reckonable residence period. (I hope this can be changed soon as it is going to unnecessarily create extra work for both the applicants and the GNIB staff.)

Does this also apply for an extension letter provided for the EU treaty rights? Can I renew my stamp4 as I have received an extension letter to renew my Stamp4 for 2 months more until the final decision on my EU fam residency is done.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:50 pm

It applies to ALL scenarios other than those listed above (first-time registration, change of passport etc).