ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IRP expiration & citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

meli87
Newly Registered
Ireland

IRP expiration & citizenship

Post by meli87 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Im not sure what to do.. my husbands IRP card is set to expire end of January. Immigration have it as he was applying for citizenship. ( He was approved, paid fee and just waiting for ceremony now.) Do we apply for another online? Would that cause an issue with the naturalization process? I haven't got any feedback from immigration on this.

Thanks and all the best

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: IRP expiration & citizenship

Post by littlerr » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:03 pm

Email the Citizenship team and ask them to send it back to you. Then do a renewal the usual way.

If your husband’s status is based on being the spouse of an Irish/EU national, the renewal is free.

Otherwise, you may want to attach the approval letter and ask them to get you a free temporary extension. This can be a bit tricky if you live in Dublin and have to use the online renewal platform though (you can try to email them but it is said that it takes them weeks if not months to reply back).

Splendor4746
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Splendor4746 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:15 pm

Hi All,

My scenario is i was on stamp 4 (married to Irish spouse) and got my citizenship approval in Mar'20 whereby then i submitted my Garda card and 950 eur.
I had my Garda expiring on 27th Apr'20 but due to covid-19 and other blanket extensions i never applied for renewal. The reason being as i was hoping to get ceremony date before the blanket extensions expire. Then we did get few more extensions and now the final one allowing us till 21st Jan'21.
Question is similar to the one asked above, shall i just apply for a new Garda card stating my scenario and if it is possible to apply online without having the old Garda card. As you mentioned there is less hope of getting a response of an email is minimal.
Also, do you see it as an issue that my garda card expired few months back .. (tbh we do have valid extensions).
Waiting for your expert opinion,

meli87
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by meli87 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:14 am

Thank you for the reply. We just applied online for the renewal and stating in the description area that my husband was already at the end stage, awaiting the ceremony etc. We didnt need the IRP card to do this, you just need the details and scanned copies of it as well as passport etc.

Seems easier as I have had no luck with replies and the only replies are generic stating that we should keep up to date with announcements on their website.

phoenix49
Ireland

Post by phoenix49 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:35 am

meli87 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:14 am
Thank you for the reply. We just applied online for the renewal and stating in the description area that my husband was already at the end stage, awaiting the ceremony etc. We didnt need the IRP card to do this, you just need the details and scanned copies of it as well as passport etc.

Seems easier as I have had no luck with replies and the only replies are generic stating that we should keep up to date with announcements on their website.
Keep in mind that during renewal they may ask you to handover the old card. Would be great if someone who had a similar scenario shared their experience.

Fbrlad
Aruba

Post by Fbrlad » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:13 am

I was in same situation couple of years ago but it expired a month before issuance of congrats letter and they told me you dont need to renew it anymore. The only problem is if they refuse your citizenship application then you will have to justify upon renewal why you are late renewing it.

Splendor4746
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Splendor4746 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:17 am

I have applied for the new IRP card. There was no issue(via website) in doing so. Will wait for their response