ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referees for Naturalisation application form?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Miami
Newly Registered

Referees for Naturalisation application form?

Post by Miami » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:15 pm

I am just about to apply for naturalisation but as I have just started a new job in a different part of the country. I am slightly concerned about who could act as my referees:

The application guidelines stipulate: "The referees should have known you personally for at least three years."

Could my current GP and/or boss act as my referees? they've known me for only 6 months!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Miami.

djb123
Member of Standing

Re: Referees for Naturalisation application form?

Post by djb123 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:55 pm

Not recommended to ask someone who has only known you for 6 months to sign a form claiming they have known you personally for over 3 years when the form states:

"I understand that I may be liable for prosecution resulting in a penalty of up to 3 months imprisonment or a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both if I knowingly or recklessly make a false declaration."

Especially as from what you are saying it is likely to be obvious that they have only known you for a short period as you only moved to area/start working there recently.

(GPs won't tend to sign the form anyway even if they have known you for over 3 years.)

So find someone who has known you for at least 3 years, even if you don't really see or speak to them now, or wait until you have got suitable referees.

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Your referees must have known you for the stipulated period. Home Office DO check, and you might be the unlucky one who gets caught out. :shock: