ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Refugee Applying To go home for mother's funeral

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

iz2018
Newly Registered
Nigeria

UK Refugee Applying To go home for mother's funeral

Post by iz2018 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi there,

I have got refugee leave to remain, over 2 years now. My mum passed away due to covid today and I'd really like to attend her funeral.

Is this something I will be able to do, given my refugee status and that my mother lives in my home country. Has anyone done this before and what was the process?

Is this something that could affect my applying for ILR later on?

Thank you

Route to ILR
Member of Standing

Re: UK Refugee Applying To go home for mother's funeral

Post by Route to ILR » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:08 pm

iz2018 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:40 pm
Hi there,

I have got refugee leave to remain, over 2 years now. My mum passed away due to covid today and I'd really like to attend her funeral.

Is this something I will be able to do, given my refugee status and that my mother lives in my home country. Has anyone done this before and what was the process?

Is this something that could affect my applying for ILR later on?

Thank you
High probability your refugee leave to remain will be curtailed at the airport on your return. And u will be deported back to your home country.

iz2018
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by iz2018 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:02 pm

What if I wrote to the Home Office to inform them? Would they allow me to in this circumstance? Is this something people have done before?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:32 am

The reason you were given refugee status is because you convinced the Home Office that it is dangerous for you to return home.

If you can successfully return home for your mother's funeral, it would appear to them that either you lied to the Home Office (in which case your refugee status should be revoked) or that the circumstances have changed sufficiently that it is no longer a danger for you to return home (in which case your refugee status can be cancelled).

Besides, keep in mind that if you return to a country of which you have citizenship, diplomatically that country takes precedence over the UK (the country in which you are a refugee) and the UK will not be able to offer you consular support (which is also true even if you become a dual British/(former country of origin) citizen).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.