ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with EU Citizenship

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DieselD

Help with EU Citizenship

Post by DieselD » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:30 am

My wife and I live in the UK permanently. My wife has a British and Irish passports and owns property in Italy

I have a British and South African passports.

Can I apply for Eu Citizenship to live in Italy for 3 or more months of the year and the remainder in the UK. Unsure if this could end up as a stamp in my British passport or a separate document.
Add your timeline to Skydrive for FLR(M)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Help with EU Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:35 am

There is no such thing as "EU citizenship".

If you are married to an Irish citizen, look at the requirements to apply for Irish citizenship based on marriage.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 am

Ok, thanks for your help.
Add your timeline to Skydrive for FLR(M)

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:38 am

DieselD wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:30 am
My wife and I live in the UK permanently. My wife has a British and Irish passports and owns property in Italy

I have a British and South African passports.

Can I apply for Eu Citizenship to live in Italy for 3 or more months of the year and the remainder in the UK. Unsure if this could end up as a stamp in my British passport or a separate document.
As a British citizen post-Brexit, you can stay up to 90 days in any rolling 180 days in the Schengen zone. From 2022 you will probably have to apply for an ETIAS (similar to the American ESTA) first, but I understand it will be valid for two years (still only 90 in 180 days stay, though).

If you want to spend more than 90 days in Italy and your Irish spouse accompanies you, you should be able to apply for a residence card for family members of EEA nationals under EU Freedom of Movement but I don't have any experience in how Italy handles these applications - do they issue the residence cards quickly within the first 90 days of stay without asking for further documents or do they take the full 6 months possible processing time to be able to ask for proof of finances, exercising treaty rights by the EEA spouse, health insurance, etc.? Getting a residence card may be easy or hard if you are not actually moving to Italy long term.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.