ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage whilst on Visit Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DRS1983

Marriage whilst on Visit Visa

Post by DRS1983 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:17 pm

Could someone please tell me are you allowed to marry whilst in the UK on a visit visa?

Thanks

whirly

Re: Marriage whilst on Visit Visa

Post by whirly » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:00 pm

DRS1983 wrote:Could someone please tell me are you allowed to marry whilst in the UK on a visit visa?

Thanks
No, sorry, you can't. You can get married on a fiance visa, though...

DRS1983

Post by DRS1983 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks for your reply Whirly,

can the tourist visa be changed to a fiance type whilst in the UK or would someone have to return to their country of origin?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:46 pm

DRS1983 wrote:Thanks for your reply Whirly,

can the tourist visa be changed to a fiance type whilst in the UK or would someone have to return to their country of origin?
You cannot switch from a tourist visa to any other visa category in-country.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:52 pm

DRS1983 wrote:Could someone please tell me are you allowed to marry whilst in the UK on a visit visa?
I believe that visitors, without a visit for marriage visa, may apply for a COA.
Last edited by vinny on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:53 pm

vinny wrote:
I believe that visitors, without a visit for marriage visa, may apply for a COA.
..but will have to return home for a Spouse visa...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:03 pm

vinny wrote:
Can you still get married at a Anglican church without a COA? Or has that loophole been closed?

DRS1983

Post by DRS1983 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:28 pm

Do you have to have a visit visa valid for longer than 6 months to be eligible for the COA?

My friend has a 6 month visit visa

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:49 am

Wanderer wrote:..but will have to return home for a Spouse visa...
Unless marrying an EEA citizen who is a qualified person.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:55 am

djb123 wrote:Can you still get married at a Anglican church without a COA? Or has that loophole been closed?
How do I get married or register a civil partnership in the United Kingdom? wrote:Religious ceremonies

The rules on certificate of approval do not currently apply if you plan to get married at an Anglican Church in England or Wales, after marriage banns or with a religious licence. You should contact a member of the clergy at the church where you plan to get married for more help.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:59 am

DRS1983 wrote:Do you have to have a visit visa valid for longer than 6 months to be eligible for the COA?

My friend has a 6 month visit visa
See What is a certificate of approval? > Important information regarding Certificate of Approval for marriage or civil partnership application (3. CHANGES TO THE CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL (COA) SCHEME)