ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why do EU Citizens have more right in the UK, than British Citizen

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DaudAbdul
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Why do EU Citizens have more right in the UK, than British Citizen

Post by DaudAbdul » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:05 am

Hello
I wondering if anything can be done for the below, which I believe is totally unfair

When an EU citizen comes to UK for settlement he can call his family over, or close relatives, for a very low fee, I don't know exact maybe £70 to £150 for the application, and doesn't have to show much of a salary/income and they can claim benefits straight away, why are they allowed to claim universal credit.

but When a British Citizen (Born here), wants to invite family over its costs over £3200 to apply for 2.5years visa and then again to extend for 2.5years and so on., also has to meet a certain salary.

How is this fair, what can be done to raise this issue. why does a foreigner have more rights than us. we pay tax all our life, and these EU citizen get more rights than us in our own country. I really want to raise this issue,

I feel hopeless,

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Why do EU Citizens have more right in the UK, than British Citizen

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:53 am

As of 1st January 2021 EU citizens without settled status in the UK will be subject to the same rules as UK citizens. Thus your point has been overtaken by BREIXT.

Previously the EU rules on free movement were in play and yes EU citizens had more favourable rules to bring non EU family members to the UK than UK citizens.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 am

Of course, all British people were entitled to take advantage of Free Movement as well, and many did.
Also noteworthy, the government has entered into a Withdrawal Agreement with the EU which governs the rights of EU citizens in the UK (Section 2) - as they could not just extinguish the rights of EU citizens. Many have spent the majority of their lives in this country.
You can always contact your MP to complain: https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/ ... t-your-mp/
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:32 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:12 am

You can always contact your MP to complain: https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/ ... t-your-mp/
The British did use their MPs, they voted to leave the EU. Then voted again for this in the general election. If the EU had allowed the UK to have some immigration control over these numbers when they asked, I wonder if the UK would have voted to leave?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:45 pm

I'm pretty sure the OP, being a British citizen, knows all about it.
His MP (who likely voted in favour) should be the first contact to air his grievances and maybe start a campaign or petition for further changes to the immigration system.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:01 pm

DaudAbdul wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:05 am
When an EU citizen comes to UK for settlement he can call his family over, or close relatives, for a very low fee, I don't know exact maybe £70 to £150 for the application, and doesn't have to show much of a salary/income and they can claim benefits straight away, why are they allowed to claim universal credit.
I can't believe you've managed to cram so many lies and inaccuracies in just one sentence.

daku
Albania

Post by daku » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:17 am

It's not the fault of EU or Europeans if the UK government doesn't recognize family reunion as a Human Right. People are forced to pay large amounts of money for something that doesn't cost more than £300 to process. I mean why would you have to show your payslips if they already can see how much tax you paid. The UK government is milking this as much as they can. No other country in the world has higher fees for family visas.