ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it possible to have a cohabiting relationship with my wife who i married in Pakistan?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tedz
Newly Registered

Is it possible to have a cohabiting relationship with my wife who i married in Pakistan?

Post by tedz » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm

I had my nikah 2 months ago in pakistan im in process of bringing my wife to uk my question is do i have to register the marriage when she gets here and is my marriage seen as legal here?
Personally i have always not liked the idea of marriage in uk and preferred cohabiting with a partner for religious reasons it seems i might not be able to have that now with this situation Is there anyway i still can have a cohabiting relationship with her in uk?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Is it possible to have a cohabiting relationship with my wife who i married in Pakistan?

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:19 pm

do i have to register the marriage when she gets here
No, there is no such requirment.
And is my marriage seen as legal here?
Yes, if it was performed in line with the laws and legal requirements in the country it was performed.
Personally i have always not liked the idea of marriage in uk and preferred cohabiting with a partner it seems i might not be able to have that now with this situation Is there anyway i still can have a cohabiting realtionship with her in uk?
You are overthinking completely
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Is it possible to have a cohabiting relationship with my wife who i married in Pakistan?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 pm

tedz wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm
is my marriage seen as legal here?
Provided that neither you nor she was married to anybody else at the same time and the ceremony was conducted under the laws and legal requirements of the place where you got married, yes, the marriage would be recognised in the UK and she would be entitled to all the benefits and responsibilities of being your spouse (in matters like immigration, inheritance, pension and property rights, etc).

As an aside, even a cohabiting partner acquires similar rights after a certain period of cohabitation. So, for example, one can sponsor a cohabiting partner on the same terms as a spouse if they have lived together for at least two years. Similarly, cohabiting partners may have claims in matters such as inheritance, property rights, etc.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tedz
Newly Registered

Post by tedz » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:26 am

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:52 pm
tedz wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:16 pm
is my marriage seen as legal here?
Provided that neither you nor she was married to anybody else at the same time and the ceremony was conducted under the laws and legal requirements of the place where you got married, yes, the marriage would be recognised in the UK and she would be entitled to all the benefits and responsibilities of being your spouse (in matters like immigration, inheritance, pension and property rights, etc).

As an aside, even a cohabiting partner acquires similar rights after a certain period of cohabitation. So, for example, one can sponsor a cohabiting partner on the same terms as a spouse if they have lived together for at least two years. Similarly, cohabiting partners may have claims in matters such as inheritance, property rights, etc.
Ok understood

incase of divorce do i have to go through uk courts or can i go through pakistan?

also is there anything i can do to protect my assets or when it comes to marriage you cant in uk?

tedz
Newly Registered

Validity of an overseas divorce

Post by tedz » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Hello my question is if you got married overseas pakistan for example and both come back to uk then later wish to get a divorce if you divorce according to the legal way in pakistan and followed the law of that land will the uk courts accept the divorce in uk? or do you have to get divorced in uk proceedings?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:52 pm

Topics merged, so that members can advised with a fuller understanding of your circumstances.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.