ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long term UK visas for Parents

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

marigold001
Newly Registered
Mood:

Long term UK visas for Parents

Post by marigold001 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:30 am

Hello All,

I hope you are well :D . I live in the UK and have settled down here over the last decade from Asia.

My mom lives back home and i do worry as she gets older. I have reviewed possible options, researched online to see if there are any long term visas for parents to join their kids in the UK - however there seem to be no clear routes. There is a family visa whose bar is very high - I have spoken to immigration advisors who have told me that even terminally ill parents struggle to get these visas and they are 99% rejected - and quite expensive to apply too as well.

I am forming the conclusion that it would be impossible to get my mom any permanent uk visa - ( this conclusion is the first step) - so that i can then look at what other options i have - move back, move somewhere else etc. I would like to request your advice on options within UK - if i am missing anything.

Regards

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: Long term UK visas for Parents

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:59 am

marigold001 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:30 am
Hello All,

I hope you are well :D . I live in the UK and have settled down here over the last decade from Asia.

My mom lives back home and i do worry as she gets older. I have reviewed possible options, researched online to see if there are any long term visas for parents to join their kids in the UK - however there seem to be no clear routes. There is a family visa whose bar is very high - I have spoken to immigration advisors who have told me that even terminally ill parents struggle to get these visas and they are 99% rejected - and quite expensive to apply too as well.

I am forming the conclusion that it would be impossible to get my mom any permanent uk visa - ( this conclusion is the first step) - so that i can then look at what other options i have - move back, move somewhere else etc. I would like to request your advice on options within UK - if i am missing anything.

Regards
You have correctly identified the only viable option for long term or residency purpose and its pitfall. That is the only option.
Some go through the getting visitors visa to give the possibility of parent visiting from time to time. However, the rigours of the journey over time must be considered and the likelihood of health emergency that may arise and which cover has to be arranged personally I.e. not on NHS.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 am

The Adult Dependent Relative visa is, as your solicitors have advised, practically impossible to get.

Also, applying for it (even if it is not granted) leads to refusal of all future visit visa applications, as the applicant (in this case, your mother) has shown an interest in residing in the UK rather than merely visiting.

As @AmazonianX points out, visit visas may be an option, but be sure to have really good travel insurance as the NHS charges 150% of cost for people using the NHS on a visit visa. Also, repeated long visits can lead to refusal of future visit visas.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

marigold001
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by marigold001 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:29 am

thank you @AmazonianX and @secret.simon