ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Jr cost claim while solicitor not helpful.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

faysal_cu
Bangladesh

Jr cost claim while solicitor not helpful.

Post by faysal_cu » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:25 pm

** Admin apologies in advance if its not the right place to talk about this issue**

Hi,
I had a judicial oral hearing in SEPTEMBER 2018 and the decision favour on my side. Judge ordered home office to pay my legal cost. however long story short in last two years i did meet lots of time with my solicitor but he failed to submit cost claim to the LGD. I do have all sorts of paper except barrister invoice. I did contact with the farm but they saying they only send the invoice to the solicitor farm not to me. so my question is:

1) how come i can get my barrister invoice from the law chamber without involve the solicitor firm?
2) if i claim by myself , would it be an issue later on?
3) is GLD send the chq to my name or firm's name?

thanks and kind regards

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Jr cost claim while solicitor not helpful.

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:55 pm

Dealing with the solicitors who instruct barristers to present your case. Barristers will not readily give you an invoice as they deal with who instructed them and if you did not do that personally I think you will struggle to get them to send you a copy invoice.

The usual scenario for the awarding of costs. The courts states that costs are to be awarded, sometimes they set an upper limit, sometimes they say reasonable costs. Either way your legal representative will prepare a schedule of costs, it will be presented to the other side. They are entitled to challenge the costs and if an agreement can not be reached it returns to the court. The court will then review the costs and make a final judgement on the costs to be awarded. This is known as “taxing” by the legal profession. It stops the unbridled use of excessive fees against the losing side.

It would be a good idea to find out what stage the award of costs has reached?

I doubt very much you will be able to represent yourself in the matter, the legal profession is very good at keeping themselves in a job.

When a payment is made it will be made to your representative who will pay it into your fees account. Any balance due to you will be paid thereafter.

Are you in dispute with your solicitor / have any outstanding costs due etc? The reason I ask is that it is beyond rare for awards not to be pursued vigorously and promptly.

Are you absolutely sure that costs have not been claimed already?

faysal_cu
Bangladesh

Post by faysal_cu » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:38 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I have no issue with my solicitor and i paid my dues to my solicitor. But my solicitor left the previous one and open a new firm by himself. I do believe my solicitor had an issue with his previous firm. as a result he can't sort out as previous firm saying that they will claim the full money and not pay my expenses which i found absolutely unfair. Last time i checked with LGD in September 2019 and they said its haven't been claimed yet.

what you suggest, its should be another option to claim as i did contact to GLD last week and they said i can claim by myself. also i did ask my barrister about the invoice but they saying they will forward to my solicitor firm.

could you put some lights on if there have any other option.

faysal_cu
Bangladesh

Post by faysal_cu » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:39 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:55 pm
Dealing with the solicitors who instruct barristers to present your case. Barristers will not readily give you an invoice as they deal with who instructed them and if you did not do that personally I think you will struggle to get them to send you a copy invoice.

The usual scenario for the awarding of costs. The courts states that costs are to be awarded, sometimes they set an upper limit, sometimes they say reasonable costs. Either way your legal representative will prepare a schedule of costs, it will be presented to the other side. They are entitled to challenge the costs and if an agreement can not be reached it returns to the court. The court will then review the costs and make a final judgement on the costs to be awarded. This is known as “taxing” by the legal profession. It stops the unbridled use of excessive fees against the losing side.

It would be a good idea to find out what stage the award of costs has reached?

I doubt very much you will be able to represent yourself in the matter, the legal profession is very good at keeping themselves in a job.

When a payment is made it will be made to your representative who will pay it into your fees account. Any balance due to you will be paid thereafter.

Are you in dispute with your solicitor / have any outstanding costs due etc? The reason I ask is that it is beyond rare for awards not to be pursued vigorously and promptly.

Are you absolutely sure that costs have not been claimed already?
Thanks for your reply.
I have no issue with my solicitor and i paid my dues to my solicitor. But my solicitor left the previous one and open a new firm by himself. I do believe my solicitor had an issue with his previous firm. as a result he can't sort out as previous firm saying that they will claim the full money and not pay my expenses which i found absolutely unfair. Last time i checked with LGD in September 2019 and they said its haven't been claimed yet.

what you suggest, its should be another option to claim as i did contact to GLD last week and they said i can claim by myself. also i did ask my barrister about the invoice but they saying they will forward to my solicitor firm.

could you put some lights on if there have any other option.