ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change for spouse visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mark2019

Name change for spouse visa

Post by mark2019 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:18 pm

Hello Guys

When is the best time to change my wife’s maiden name to my name? Her passport is still valid for over a year in her maiden name. Any advise would be much appreciated. Also with regards to cohabitation proof does it matter if the documents state miss or Mrs?

mark2019

Re: Name change for spouse visa

Post by mark2019 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:07 pm

Anyone able to advise?

Many thanks

mark2019

Post by mark2019 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Any help please guys?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:49 pm

mark2019 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:18 pm
Hello Guys

When is the best time to change my wife’s maiden name to my name? Her passport is still valid for over a year in her maiden name. Any advise would be much appreciated. Also with regards to cohabitation proof does it matter if the documents state miss or Mrs?
Your post is somewhat unclear.

Since you mention cohabitation, I am guessing your spouse is already in the UK on the first spouse visa and is now looking to apply for the next 2.5 years?

If that is so, I am also guessing that she has not officially changed her name anywhere? Passport, day-to-day life, etc.?

If she decides to apply for the next 2.5 years and then decides to change her name when getting her next passport in a year's time, she will have to notify HO within three months of that name change, apply and pay for a change in her BRP. So, it may well be easier to get a new passport with her married name now, before applying and have a clean changeover. Personally I'd then also notify anywhere she has a contract (mobile, insurances, utilities, etc.) or where her name may turn up in correspondence (council tax, GP, etc.) about the change in name.

Even if the UK is a bit whatever regarding usage of names, our life was quite a bit more internationally mobile than we had expected and my husband had a very stressful and expensive experience applying for a visa because he had not corrected a misspelling of his name (and it still was clearly his name!) on his degree certificate, so you never know when you may need to have been meticulous about such things.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

mark2019

Post by mark2019 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Hello and thank you for the reply

My wife has just started the first spouse visa. The question is if we update her name to our married name mid term, would the documents stating her maiden name still act as proof of cohabitation? Or become null and void? Her current passport runs out in Dec 2022 and her extension to spouse visa is April 2023.

Many Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:13 pm

They would still count
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.