ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship by birth for a child

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chai
Newly Registered
Ireland

Citizenship by birth for a child

Post by chai » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a baby girl who was born last week and based on the information on section "Parent from outside Ireland and UK" at this citizensinformation.ie page https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... scent.html, it looks like we're eligible.

Has anyone on the forum gone through this process before? How would we get an Irish passport, just apply on dfa website, or first need to naturalize? And if we need to naturalize her first, what's the process?

Thanks!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Citizenship by birth for a child

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:14 am

You haven’t provided any information of yourselves. - What’s you and your spouse’s nationality at the time of your child’s birth?
- How long has you and your spouse lived in Ireland? - If you are from a non-EU country, how long have you been living in Ireland on a work/reside permission (Stamp 1/3/4/5)?
- Where was your child born?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:24 am

littlerr wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:14 am
You haven’t provided any information of yourselves. - What’s you and your spouse’s nationality at the time of your child’s birth?
- How long has you and your spouse lived in Ireland? - If you are from a non-EU country, how long have you been living in Ireland on a work/reside permission (Stamp 1/3/4/5)?
- Where was your child born?
chai wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:04 pm
chai wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:16 am
chai wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:35 am
Application Based On: Non-EU (Stamp 1 & 4) - 5 years residence
Application received on: 7/6/2019
Acknowledgement & Passport Returned On: 12/07/2019
Application Number & Receipt & Second Letter: 2/11/2019
Awaiting On Approval: Pending
Date of Ceremony: Pending
I still don't have any updates on my application since then, like many of you.
Last update was November 2019 informing me of being at the second stage of processing.
Please post if anyone receives any updates, this will be helpful for those waiting to adjust expectations.
I have received a letter by post today with the approval, request for payment and for sending the declaration. FYI - I haven't received any emails. I hope my long wait is coming to an end and that this gives hope for more people getting approvals soon!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:20 pm

Alright if the you have lived in Ireland for more than 3 years with Stamp 1/4, and the child is born in Ireland, then the child is automatically Irish.

Whether you receive your naturalisation certificate is irrelevant to your child’s Irish citizenship.

You can use the online application to apply for your child’s passport. As part of the application you will be requested to produce proof that you have lived in Ireland for more than 3 years on Stamp 1/4. You should have the stamps in your passport as your proof. If you don’t have stamps in your passport (as part of the annoying new process since last year), you can still email GNIB to get you your residence period.

chai
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by chai » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:43 am

littlerr wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:20 pm
Alright if the you have lived in Ireland for more than 3 years with Stamp 1/4, and the child is born in Ireland, then the child is automatically Irish.

Whether you receive your naturalisation certificate is irrelevant to your child’s Irish citizenship.

You can use the online application to apply for your child’s passport. As part of the application you will be requested to produce proof that you have lived in Ireland for more than 3 years on Stamp 1/4. You should have the stamps in your passport as your proof. If you don’t have stamps in your passport (as part of the annoying new process since last year), you can still email GNIB to get you your residence period.
Thank you very much for your reply littlerr, much appreciated!
Great to hear that some sort of naturalisation is not needed because they take a long time these days, and the process that you described seems quite straightforward. Thank you very much again for sharing your knowledge!