ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancée Visa Application From UK, She Is Visitor During Covid

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Bertie1969
Newly Registered
Mood:

Fiancée Visa Application From UK, She Is Visitor During Covid

Post by Bertie1969 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:34 am

Hi Guys. I recently met a woman i really like and her story is that she came here from Nigeria 18 months ago on a visitor visa and has been staying with her sister during that time, she is still here because of the travel restrictions during lockdown. Is it possible to get engaged and apply for a fiancée visa while she is still in the UK?

She does not need to go home for a couple of months I believe, I was hoping that she would not need to leave the UK and we would then need to marry within the 6 months.

any advice much appreciated. ;)

walker
Mood:
Palestine

Re: Fiancée Visa Application From UK, She Is Visitor During Covid

Post by walker » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 am

If she currently has valid leave to be in the UK, make enquiries with the your local registrar about getting married. The registrar may contact the HO and the HO may grant permission for the marriage to take place. If so, you will be able to get married and then consider making an application to remain a spouse.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:19 pm

She may have overstayed her leave?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Bertie1969
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Bertie1969 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 pm

walker wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:18 am
If she currently has valid leave to be in the UK, make enquiries with the your local registrar about getting married. The registrar may contact the HO and the HO may grant permission for the marriage to take place. If so, you will be able to get married and then consider making an application to remain a spouse.
She only had a 6 month (18 months ago) visa but lockdown has meant lots of visitors have not been able to travel home. So she is overstayed but legally. From what i read regarding a spouse visa you need to have known each other for 2 years and thats why i suggested a fiancée visa. I dont know if it will be granted or not or they might insist she applies from her home country. :D

Bertie1969
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Bertie1969 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:55 pm

vinny wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:19 pm
Yes but legally due to the travel restrictions during lockdown. Lots of visitors cant return home until its safe to travel again. 8) 8)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Much of the information and advice is still the same as when you asked in 2018 about your Taiwanese partner you met back then.

immigration-for-family-members/info-nee ... l#p1619952

Your current partner will need to apply from home country for a visa.

You are unlikely to be given permission by UKVI to marry as she appears to have no legal status in the UK, especially if you have only recently met. There will likely be suspicion from UKVI that this could be a marriage of convenience.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:20 am

Bertie1969 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:55 pm
vinny wrote:
Yes but legally due to the travel restrictions during lockdown. Lots of visitors cant return home until its safe to travel again. 8) 8)
With 6 months visit visa and being in the UK for 18 months means there was several windows to return to home country within the period of pandemic. If she had used or gotten extension due to the pandemic, I doubt she still has valid visa for legal stay in UK.
Being an overstayed does not make it easy for your intentions.

Bertie1969
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Bertie1969 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:43 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:02 pm
Much of the information and advice is still the same as when you asked in 2018 about your Taiwanese partner you met back then.

immigration-for-family-members/info-nee ... l#p1619952

Your current partner will need to apply from home country for a visa.

You are unlikely to be given permission by UKVI to marry as she appears to have no legal status in the UK, especially if you have only recently met. There will likely be suspicion from UKVI that this could be a marriage of convenience.
Many thanks for your reply.

The Taiwan lady i was dating and she was not my partner and because of the advice i got back on here i decided not to pursue the relationship. This woman who i just met had told me she had a working visa so she was not completely honest with me. She already paid a lawyer to apply for a new visa but it was rejected, i think the lawyer was just taking the money and knew it would be rejected.

There is no getting away from it but yes it would be marriage of convenience but it would be good if she could stay in the UK. I cant believe my bad luck and this happening twice but i wont be paying for any visa she can do that herself. I was just looking for a way to do this legally.

I thought if she is here legally because of lockdown this might make a difference under these circumstances. Maybe it makes no difference.

Bertie1969
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Bertie1969 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:53 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:20 am
Bertie1969 wrote:
vinny wrote:
With 6 months visit visa and being in the UK for 18 months means there was several windows to return to home country within the period of pandemic. If she had used or gotten extension due to the pandemic, I doubt she still has valid visa for legal stay in UK.
Ok and many thanks for your reply i would have thought that travel would have been possible too. I dont know how to check is she is here legally or not? I read about the visa extensions to visitors which came in when her visa was ending. I will find out more from her to see if she has overstayed or not.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:55 am

Bertie1969 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:53 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:20 am
Bertie1969 wrote:
vinny wrote:
Ok and many thanks for your reply i would have thought that travel would have been possible too. I dont know how to check is she is here legally or not? Simply ask her about actions or step taken with regards to her visa during the pandemic..I read about the visa extensions to visitors which came in when her visa was ending. I will find out more from her to see if she has overstayed or not.

Bertie1969
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Bertie1969 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:08 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:55 am
She is very vague but we have stopped seeing each other as it looks like she has to leave. When i ask about her making attempts to return She just says she could not because of covid. Im a bit cross for her waiting 5 weeks and then telling me about her visa status.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:26 pm

You've a had a lucky escape from potentially facing a criminal charge for knowingly entering into a sham marriage. See the official information below:

"Conspiracy to facilitate
Spouses
In cases involving sham marriages it may be possible to prosecute a spouse for either:
• conspiracy to facilitate
• a simple offence of seeking to avoid enforcement action
The conspiracy charge is generally more appropriate as it marks the severity of the offence.
"

I would respectfully suggest that you avoid a similar situation in the future. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Bertie1969
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Bertie1969 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:43 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:26 pm
You've a had a lucky escape from potentially facing a criminal charge for knowingly entering into a sham marriage. See the official information below:

"Conspiracy to facilitate
Spouses
In cases involving sham marriages it may be possible to prosecute a spouse for either:
• conspiracy to facilitate
• a simple offence of seeking to avoid enforcement action
The conspiracy charge is generally more appropriate as it marks the severity of the offence.
"

I would respectfully suggest that you avoid a similar situation in the future. :idea:
Many thanks for your reply. I dont think it was a sham marriage from what i have read of its definition but the situation means we are not together so fingers crossed i dont come across any others. ;)