ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will I pass through the UK border? Common Travel Area

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Malawimalawi
Newly Registered
Philippines

Will I pass through the UK border? Common Travel Area

Post by Malawimalawi » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:33 am

I am looking at booking a single itinerary on SkyScanner by which:

(1) I fly from Dublin on Ryanair to Gatwick
(2) I fly from Gatwick on British Airways to a destination outside the UK

There are about two hours between my flight arriving at Gatwick and my flight out of Gatwick.

Clearly my trip begins in a location within the Common Travel Area. I know for a fact that if I were flying to Dublin, I would need a UK transit visa if my flight landed at Gatwick en route. But according to the Home Office website (following their questions and answers), I don’t need a transit visa as my destination is outside the Common Travel Area... provided I don’t have to cross the UK border.

On its face I don’t think I need to cross the UK border but I’ve never made this journey before and I’m not sure if there’s some special rule that if my flight starts in the Common Travel Area I am deemed to cross the UK border or something like that.

Many thanks.