ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration Bail-Please help!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

Immigration Bail-Please help!

Post by alexjames2320 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:12 pm

Hello guys,
I have a complicated question, my cousin which has been naughty, and he got a prison sentence of
6 months and he's currently serving that in prison, the issue is before he was sentenced he has asked for Asylum- he is coming from Albania, and he was released on bail by the police, now my question is, he has an immigration officer which he is saying that he will need to pay £1500 for another Bail, so the home office will not detain him and deport him back to Albania, his sentence will finish on the 9 of June, but he received a letter saying that if he can prove his status in the country he will be released on the 23rd of April, please help me understand what is going on, does he really have to pay the £1500 in order not to get deported or the lawyer is asking for too much?

Also, if anyone can explain how this thing works I would appreciate that a lot.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Immigration Bail-Please help!

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:35 am

Home Office does not charge for bail, so I have no idea where that comes from

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:27 am

There may be a Financial condition attached to an Immigration Bail.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:52 pm

Release from detention bail in the scenario of an application may come with a guarantee of a sum of money to the court. It is increasingly less common for this to be a consideration. The court sets the amount not the Home Office, it is highly unlikely that the migrant will be asked for an amount of money quoted.

My reading of this is that the lawyer wants £1500 to prepare the case either for a bail application or to undertake an immigration appeal against his likely removal from the UK

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by alexjames2320 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:11 pm

Hello, thank you both for your messages, basically that is what he told us, that in order for him to be released earlier and prove his status we will need to pay that amount of money, now my cousin has been talking to him, and he didn't really understand it, but I will talk to him tomorrow as well and find out what exactly it's going on here.

We don't mind paying, and we are not trying to be cheap, but this is money on top of the £1500 he wants as a lawyer on his immigration case so around £3000 in total, I just need to understand what needs to be done in this instance

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 pm

What immigration status does the individual hold? If he does not have any legal status he will not be released, he will move to an immigration centre for removal at or near the end of his sentence.

alexjames2320
Newly Registered
Greece

Post by alexjames2320 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 pm

Hello, he has asked for an asylum seeker, but that status has not yet been decided, he was given a letter confirming that he is on that request, but that is all. He has not been granted the status yet, he applied for Asylum before he goes to jail.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:10 pm

Did he ever have any form of legal status in the UK?
Was the asylum claim after his arrest?
How long was he in the UK prior to his arrest?

I have assumed he had no legal status prior to his arrest and hence the asylum claim?

From my experience if the individual entered the country clandestinely, is a single male of Albanian origin, arrested / prosecuted he will not be granted bail. His asylum claim will be in a fast track and is almost a certain refusal. Albanian asylum claims rarely succeed particularly if my assumption of his circumstances above is accurate.

An asylum claim defence with these assumptions will invariably cost far more than £1500 to fully progress to a point where the individual has any hope of remaining in the UK