ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change issue

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

1887kubi
Newly Registered

Name change issue

Post by 1887kubi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:32 pm

Hello everyone,
After a very long wait I just received my invitation letter via email, and I have already booked a date for ceremony.
Before I do my ceremony, I just want to ask you guy to give me an advice regarding the little problem I have in my name on my naturalisation certificate.
The thing is, I changed my name (using deed poll) before I applied for naturalisation.
So, when I first applied for naturalisation I sent HO the deed poll document attached with my application.
Now HO Sent my naturalisation certificate to council but the name on the certificate is the old name, they did not change the name to the new one.
Could you guys please give me some advice on how to change my name in the naturalisation certificate so that I can have a British passport with my new name.

Thanks

MALCOM2

Name change issue

Post by MALCOM2 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:53 am

1887kubi wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:32 pm
Hello everyone,
After a very long wait I just received my invitation letter via email, and I have already booked a date for ceremony.
Before I do my ceremony, I just want to ask you guy to give me an advice regarding the little problem I have in my name on my naturalisation certificate.
The thing is, I changed my name (using deed poll) before I applied for naturalisation.
So, when I first applied for naturalisation I sent HO the deed poll document attached with my application.
Now HO Sent my naturalisation certificate to council but the name on the certificate is the old name, they did not change the name to the new one.
Could you guys please give me some advice on how to change my name in the naturalisation certificate so that I can have a British passport with my new name.

Thanks
This is my advice. You don’t need to change your name on the certificate of naturalisation. If you are applying for a passport just send your deed pool , evidence of your new name like a GP letter or driving license letter and your foreigner passport and certificate of naturalisation. I think you should get a new name with your British. passport

IshmaelSerrano
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: Name change issue

Post by IshmaelSerrano » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:20 pm

I am in a similar situation, I did a change of name by deed poll, but my foreign passport has the former name, could I have my British passport with my new name only by sending the deed poll?

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:22 pm

You can’t get a British passport if your foreign passport has a different name on it.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:57 pm

Also see this long running thread on passport policy for dual nationals.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.