ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing my mother in law to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

fazalkhalidi
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Bringing my mother in law to UK

Post by fazalkhalidi » Tue May 11, 2021 1:10 pm

HI,

My Mother in law is 69 years old & living alone in India. Her husband passed away recently with Covid 19.
She has no property to her name in India. She is physically fit, but mentally quite fragile & is showing signs of early dementia.

We are looking at 2 options.
10 year Visit Visa - Can she apply for this? I understand she can only be in UK for 6 months at a time. Does this also mean that she can only be in UK for 6 months in a calendar year? Can she leave UK for a few days & return back? Does she need to pay the NHS surcharge?

Adult Dependant relative - I have read that this a high rejection rate. Is it worth to apply?

Pls let me know.

Kind Regards,
Fazal

secret.simon

Re: Bringing my mother in law to UK

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 11, 2021 1:47 pm

fazalkhalidi wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:10 pm
10 year Visit Visa - Can she apply for this? I understand she can only be in UK for 6 months at a time. Does this also mean that she can only be in UK for 6 months in a calendar year? Can she leave UK for a few days & return back? Does she need to pay the NHS surcharge?
She is likely to get rejected for a 10 year visit visa, unless she has a track record of multiple visit visas in the past and leaving the UK before the end of the visit visa every time.

She needs to spend more time in the country of her habitual residence that she does in the UK. She can't pop out of the UK for a few days and return.

She does not need to pay the IHS surcharge, but be aware that any non-emergency treatment for her on the NHS will be billed to her at 150% cost. You will need to invest in private health insurance for her if she is planning to reside in the UK for a long period of time.
fazalkhalidi wrote:
Adult Dependant relative - I have read that this a high rejection rate. Is it worth to apply?
Your call. According to the Home Office stats, only 6%of ADR visas are approved directly, with a further 16% after appeals. That means that even after appeals, the refusal rate is ~ 80% or 4 out of every 5 applications.

Also see my response to a very similar question earlier.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Bringing my mother in law to UK

Post by JB007 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:36 pm

fazalkhalidi wrote:
Does she need to pay the NHS surcharge?
She will need to pay the NHS at point of use, unless that service is free.

One of the free services is
"A&E services – not including emergency treatment if admitted to hospital"

You can read the rest for NHS England-
How to access NHS services in England if you are visiting from abroad
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visitin ... om-abroad/

That page has links for Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.