ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Good character requirement: Natural Child & Impact on Naturalisation application.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Pater
Newly Registered
Algeria

Good character requirement: Natural Child & Impact on Naturalisation application.

Post by Pater » Wed May 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi,

Need some advices on my situation.
My wife and I are currently divorcing but everything is been delayed because of covid. We are living separately for years and during this time I have made an encounter from which a child was born outside the UK.
I have an ILR and am applying for naturalisation online after 9 years of which 3 years post ILR
There is a section on the application that asks if I have a dependant to which I said yes. There is another section that asks if I have got a child whose birth parent is not my partner(ex wife on my application as still legally married) to which I said yes.
Do you think this might result to HO rejecting my application on the ground of good character requirement?

Thanks in adavance for your help!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Good character requirement: Natural Child & Impact on Naturalisation application.

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:10 pm

Marital / ex-marital arrangements are not part of the "Good Character" requirement.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Pater
Newly Registered
Algeria

Re: Good character requirement: Natural Child & Impact on Naturalisation application.

Post by Pater » Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 am

Thanks Alterhase58 for your input. I don't want to sound paranoid, but since the good character requirement is vague, I just wonder if anyone here is/has been in this position before and what has been the outcome.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:16 am

You may have this already, but if not here is the caseworker guidance on the topic "Good Character":
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance
There are some rules around how the requirement is assessed, with discretion allowed in some circumstances.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 pm

Just under half of all new-born babies in England and Wales are born outside of wedlock. And that has been broadly consistent since 2008.

In the UK, culturally, it is not a matter of good or bad character to have children born outside wedlock. That is accepted as a part of social norms.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Pater
Newly Registered
Algeria

Post by Pater » Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm

Thank you very much Secret Simon and Alterhase58 for your comments.