ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advise needed re options regarding residency.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Freddy mercury
Newly Registered
Ireland

Advise needed re options regarding residency.

Post by Freddy mercury » Sun May 16, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi all just needed some advise I am an Irish citizen my husband is non EU and holds a stamp 4 based on our son as father of Irish citizen child since last 5 years.His stamp is renewed on yearly basis since last 5 years. Is there any options for him to get any longer rights of residency apart from applying for citizenship? As he had few convictions 12 years ago in Ireland so we are hesitant to apply for citizenship.
Any help/advise in this regard will be sincerely appreciated.(would love to hear from Obie and little as ye guys seem to know alot )
Kind regards :)

Freddy mercury
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Advise needed re options regarding residency.

Post by Freddy mercury » Sun May 16, 2021 6:25 pm

Just to add on few extra info when we initially applied we mentioned his convictions to INIS so they knew about them. He has been never been a burden interns of employment he has a steady job since last 5 years . Does he have any rights to even ask for permissions longer then a year? Or should he just apply for citizenship ??
Kind regards

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 16, 2021 7:26 pm

Why does he not apply for Stamp 4 based on being the spouse of Irish national? That would give him 3 years of validity every time and is free.

Regarding citizenship and conviction, it really depends on how serious the offence is, and how the minister thinks of that. A common approach is to write a letter of remorse and include it in the application. From there, it's completely up to the minister.

Freddy mercury
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Freddy mercury » Sun May 16, 2021 7:39 pm

Thanks so much for your reply littler it's just the fact that we had our son first and got married later that's why his initial stamp was granted on basis of Irish citizen child don't have a clue as to if someone has a stamp 4 based on parent of Irish child can they even later change it to spouse of Irish national stamp 4 ?? And would INIS allow him to do that ??we would apply for his citizenship and see what happens but was just exploring as to what other options he can have assuming the citizenship application can take years to be processed it's just that he has to renew his present stamp every year and pay 300 and get gp letter etc etc any thing to avoid this on yearly basis as he has done it last 5 years I think it's 6 th year now on stamp 4? I wonder can he apply on our marriage basis ?? Even though he holds a stamp 4 already and how would immigration see it ?
Your advise is sincerely appreciated
And thanks again littler for a prompt reply :)

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 16, 2021 8:08 pm

Yes he can switch the Stamp 4 to be based on Irish spouse. Free and valid for 3 years, instead of 300 euro every year.

And yes he can apply for citizenship. The basis doesn't really matter that much - be it based on his own (5 years) or based on spouse of Irish national (3 years). Since his Stamp 4 is not based on spouse of Irish national, I'd say just use the 5 year standard route. I don't think it would matter that much anyway. The conviction is the main obstacle.

Freddy mercury
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Freddy mercury » Sun May 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks once again littler we might apply for his citizenship next year or when ever this covid situation relaxes a little bit. I think he had no tax and some thing like drunk and disorderly and abusive behaviour which is pretty common for Irish nationals after few drinks when you are young but no seen so kindly if you are non EU but it was 12/13 years ago so hopefully they will have a lenient approach as he is a very honest hard working man . just out of curiosity if he is to change his stamp 4 based on our marriage would he be required to do a new application as a spouse of Irish national or could it be done in our local Garda immigration registration station as I assume any new applications are taking quiet a long time.
Thanks so much for your prompt reply
Kind regards :)

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sun May 16, 2021 10:14 pm

You two should be able to just walk into your local Garda station (with an appointment of course) and renew his Stamp 4 right away. Just remember to bring the wedding certificate and proof of living together (like bank statements/utility bills for both people). Just mention to the officer that the reason that he got his Stamp 4 based on his child previously is because you two were not married back then, and now you wish to change the basis as you are married now.

If you live in Dublin, you should just use the online renewal platform and select the 'Spouse of Irish national' as the renewal reason.

Freddy mercury
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Freddy mercury » Sun May 16, 2021 10:49 pm

@ littler thanks so much for all the advise and help really appreciate it. you are awful kind .
Kind regards