ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply in the UK itself?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

oilman
Newly Registered

Apply in the UK itself?

Post by oilman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:54 am

Hi all,

Bear with me please, just 3 questions:

I currently work in the oilfield and as such, I have to travel around quite often in the Middle East and will need my passport often. The longest I can stay in any one place is about 1 month. Also my country, Malaysia (non-EU) has an agreement with the UK, which allows me to enter the UK without a visa for 6 months, but not for work.

:arrow: So, q1:

Can I apply for the Tier 1 (General) visa in the UK itself, with all my documents?

I read the website & it says I can only apply in the UK with "permission to stay". Some background: i satisfy the minimum points in all the categories, studied in the UK for my degree (4 year MEng).

:arrow: q2:

If I cannot apply in UK, due to my nature of work, I travel around the Middle East, so I only get to be back in my home country for like 1 month in a year.

So, do I apply in Malaysia or in the Middle East country I work?

:arrow: q3:

I have an international bank account, based in New York, where my pay's wired to and all my statements are electronic form. I can request for paper statements, but they'll take more than 7 days to reach my mailing address.

Will these be not be valid for the application then? What should I do? Fly to New York and get a paper print?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

oilman
Newly Registered

Post by oilman » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:08 am

anyone in the same position as me? pls help? or at least some pointers to seek answers?

thanks

niw2
Member of Standing

Post by niw2 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:44 am

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. You are in the same difficult position as many of the Indian and Pakistani board members, who have UK bank accounts but will be applying from their home country. They too struggle to get statements that are not more than 7 days old. The general consensus is that you should do the following: Authorise somebody you know to pick up the paper statements (and the bank letter that must accompany statements printed for online accounts) from the bank and courier this to you by a method that ensures it will arrive well within the 7 day limit. Once the documents are in hand, file the application.