ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa - Australian wife, Scottish husband.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Pazz
Newly Registered

Spouse visa - Australian wife, Scottish husband.

Post by Pazz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:40 am

Hi everyone.

My husband and I are looking to move to Scotland in the next few months, hopefully by June of next year. We both lived there together before we were married, I was on a working holiday makers visa, and both came back to Australia due to serious illness in my family. We have only just recently been talking about moving back to Scotland and have been doing a lot of reading and research on the process. I'm just wondering if someone can take a look at the information we have gathered to send with our application for my visa?

*We have all the identifying documents together, passports etc.
*Marriage certificate and the letter from the office of Births, Deaths and Marriages confirming our wedding booking.
*Two joint bank accounts, one for our wages and outgoings and another for savings, we will provide statements for both of these.
*A budget demonstrating where our money gets spent each week & month.
*Utilities bills in joint names, phone, gas, electricity
*Leases in Joint names, we have these going back to when we first moved in together in 2003, along with bond statements from the Residential Tenancies Authority.
*Three of his tax return statements showing acceptance of our relationship from the Australian tax office.
*A copy of his resume with a reference from his current employer stating is responsibilities and current pay package.
*Copies of his pay slips for the last year showing his wage plus bonuses.
*Copies of job ads that he qualifies for along with recruitment agencies he has registered with - or a letter of offer if he manages to secure a job before we apply for the visa.
*A letter from my husband in support of the application.
*A copy of my resume along with a copy of my certificate 2 in make-up services - I was thinking of also including a mini-portfolio of my make-up work.
*A letter from his Aunt, who we will be staying with to start, stating the size of her home, how many people live there and what rent we will be paying her.

His current passport and my old one, in my maiden name, were stamped by border security at the same time when we travelled together last. Would it be a good idea to make note of this and mark the pages with a post-it? It proves that we travelled together to the UK and back to Australia, and I may have a copy of our flight itinerary from that time, should I also include a copy of that?

Also, I have kept some of the cards we got at the wedding, most got water damaged after a window was left open in a storm and were then thrown out. Would it be a good idea to include the ones I still have with the application? What about wedding photos and photos from before/after the big day?

We will have a minimum $8,000 before we apply for the visa, this is excluding the application fee and airfares, is this an o.k sum of money? We would have had more but both thought it wise to pay off our debts before leaving and have just made our final payments, as a result our savings are pretty depleted. We do have $2000 dollars in cheques that we have just received as wedding gifts, but have not cashed them yet as we weren't sure if such a large sum of money suddenly appearing in the account could look suspicious to anyone looking at our application - like we were trying to pad our savings up a bit.

Sorry for the length of my post, hopefully I've made sense and not rambled on too much as I have a tendency to do.

Thanks for taking a look, any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated :D

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:14 am

Cash the cheques! You only have to show the bank statements for the proceeding three months to application.

The main issue will be employment - get that sorted and the whole thing will fall into place very readily. That is the main stumbling point at the moment. The cost of living in the UK is crazy as you no doubt know compared to Oz so $8000AUS is not going to get you very far. It would be better if he was employed and you followed him in after that. I am not saying that it is not enough but it would be safer if he is already working or has a guaranteed job.

You have more than enough evidence of the marriage and prior history, being from Oz it is less of an issue compared to some other countries.

You do not want to apply for the spouse visa months before departure as it is only valid for two years. Under the current rules you would be able to apply for ILR only once you have been in the UK for two years less 28 days. If you are not in the UK within 28 days of grant it will cost you the price of a visa extension another £500 to get the additional missing period in before applying for ILR - more money required again.

As you are planning months ahead, a good thing, you can aim to get all the boxes ticked so it is a very smooth and quick process to get your visa.

I am assuming if hubby gets a job offer in the mean time he will be going home to take it prior to you joining him?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 am

What is his visa status in Australia, out of interest?

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:54 am

Spouse visas are now being issued for 27 months, which will give you 3 months from the issue date of the visa in which to enter the UK.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Casa,
Thanks for that update on the rules.

When did they start the 27 months visa? Saves so much hassle.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:05 am

Frontier Mole wrote:Casa,
Thanks for that update on the rules.

When did they start the 27 months visa? Saves so much hassle.
The rules were updated in July 2008 and should have been enforced straightaway, though whether all the ECOs did is another question.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/chapter13/ (section 13.2)

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:07 am

I agree. For that reason anyone who is issued with a spouse visa now should check that they have been given the full 27 months, and if not,
ask for the visa to be amended accordingly.

Pazz
Newly Registered

Post by Pazz » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:00 am

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies and sorry I've not come back sooner - my internet has been down due to some severe thunderstorms.

My husband has dual British/Australian citizenship. He was born here in Australia but has British citizenship as his mother is a British citizen and was born in Scotland, all his family on that side are British citizens residing in Glasgow.

I have just thought of another thing that I'm not sure if I should include in our application. We both have quite a sum of money in superannuation (pension) accounts, coming close to $30,000 collectively. We are in the process of finding out if we can withdraw that money before we depart, if we cant withdraw it we are planning on transferring the money into a UK fund once we have moved. Would it be a good idea to include current statements with the visa application?

Its good to hear about the extended validity of the spouse visas too, makes things a little easier.

Thanks so much for all your help so far, we both really appreciate it.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:40 am

Pazz wrote:I have just thought of another thing that I'm not sure if I should include in our application. We both have quite a sum of money in superannuation (pension) accounts, coming close to $30,000 collectively. We are in the process of finding out if we can withdraw that money before we depart, if we cant withdraw it we are planning on transferring the money into a UK fund once we have moved. Would it be a good idea to include current statements with the visa application?
Unless it's real cash you can withdraw (or you are very close to retirement age..) I wouldn't have thought it was worth including as the ECO isn't going to take it into consideration as funds you can use to support yourself whenyou first arrive in the UK.