ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5-year UK-visit visa holder apply for Schengen visa from UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lionfly

5-year UK-visit visa holder apply for Schengen visa from UK?

Post by lionfly » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:37 pm

I know that Schengen countries do not issue Schengen visa to 6-month UK-visit visa holders, who have to apply for Schengen visa from their home country, e.g. China.

But do they issue Schengen visa to 5-year UK-visit visa holders?

I.e. can 5-year UK-visit visa holders (Chinese passport) apply for Schengen visa from UK?

Note: 5-year UK-visit visa means the visit visa's expiry date is 5 years later, multi-entry, but with 180 days as one UK-visit limit.
Last edited by lionfly on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAI
Newly Registered

Post by BAI » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Yes, they can. They need to apply at the relevant embassy, whichever is the country they want to enter FIRST. There is no guarantee, however, that a visa is going to be issued. Normally Schengen countries limit the visit for 90 days.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 pm

I suggest you contact the Schengen Office in London for confirmation.
As you will have to pay for the visa, you can apply for this through the Schengen Office...unlike a spouse of a British Citizen where the visa is free but has to be applied for direct with the relevant consulate.
I had believed that you needed to be resident here (i.e not on visitor visa) to apply for a Schengen visa from within the UK...but could be wrong. (On this one :wink: )

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Over the last couple of years I have had many Schengen visa's issued to me from the French consulate in London.

The first visa issued was a 6 month multi entry and there after 1 year multi entry.

Now that I have ILR I was issused a 2 year multi entry, which I understand to be the max they will issue.

lionfly

Post by lionfly » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi Siggi,

Were you holding long-term "visit" UK-visa when you got Schengen visa from London?

or others like "student", or "work permit" visa, which are considered as UK-"resident", and of course can get Schengen visa from within UK.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Lionfly,

Yes like other applicant, I was a UK resident ,but try making the application for your Schegen visa in your home country.

As they will not consider your application from the UK without some form of residents visa.

Markie

Re: 5-year UK-visit visa holder apply for Schengen visa from

Post by Markie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:38 pm

beg to disagree on this one as I had my brother in law with a 6-month UK visit visa able to apply for quick 3day visit to France.
lionfly wrote:I know that Schengen countries do not issue Schengen visa to 6-month UK-visit visa holders, who have to apply for Schengen visa from their home country, e.g. China.

But do they issue Schengen visa to 5-year UK-visit visa holders?

I.e. can 5-year UK-visit visa holders (Chinese passport) apply for Schengen visa from UK?

Note: 5-year UK-visit visa means the visit visa's expiry date is 5 years later, multi-entry, but with 180 days as one UK-visit limit.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Markie wrote:beg to disagree on this one as I had my brother in law with a 6-month UK visit visa able to apply for quick 3day visit to France.
Was this recent or a while ago? I thought it use to be possible but checking the websites of various embassies suggests that it's no longer possible unless you have a British residency visa.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:53 am

djb123 wrote:
Markie wrote:beg to disagree on this one as I had my brother in law with a 6-month UK visit visa able to apply for quick 3day visit to France.
Was this recent or a while ago? I thought it use to be possible but checking the websites of various embassies suggests that it's no longer possible unless you have a British residency visa.
That's what I found too but see the last question in their FAQ.