ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

blocked from boarding UK flight despite settled status

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nearl
Newly Registered

blocked from boarding UK flight despite settled status

Post by nearl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi,

my wife was blocked from boarding a flight to the UK despite presenting the documents proving her settled status : decision letter for settled status, share code, printed status using share code.
her biometric resident card that she presented as well was already expired, she wasn't able to make the trip back to UK before expiry date due to covid restrictions,

Airline staff said none of these present a valid travel document,

we are being sent back and forth between different home office and consular services with no idea of what we should do yet.

some said including border control that those are valid for entering UK, some are saying that there is a possibility of temporary resident card, some say we may need to apply for a visa (returning resident visa, euss family permit...) we don't know who to follow as no one seems to be sure, and I am talking here about answers given by home office services/numbers, we don't know what exact number to call for this matter and what' the exact service to trust,

the only way we found so far to progress on this is by applying to a visa, but we don't know which one,
- can we apply for a returning resident visa ? she has been out of the uk for 6 months , so less than 2 years
- or shall we apply for euss family permit, or this would impact her already granted settled status

Thanks,

Obie
Ireland

Re: blocked from boarding UK flight despite settled status

Post by Obie » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:52 pm

She needs to apply for settlement scheme family permit..
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

nearl
Newly Registered

Post by nearl » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:06 pm

Obie wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:52 pm
thanks, do you know this going to impact her already granted settled status ?
she already have a settled status since 2020

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:55 am

This is a known problem.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

dialectic

Post by dialectic » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:12 am

vinny wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:55 am
This is a known problem.
Is there any clarity about this? I thought you could travel with the old residence permit as long as it is up to date? eea-route-applications/travelling-with- ... l#p2020083

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:24 pm

nearl wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:06 pm
Obie wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:52 pm
thanks, do you know this going to impact her already granted settled status ?
she already have a settled status since 2020
No impact.

The EUSS Family Permit is there to allow entry or re-entry, and although it is used for the first entry of new joining family members; it is also recommended for when people already have electronic status but cannot produce a physical document to travel back from abroad (such as your case).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:27 pm

dialectic wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:12 am
vinny wrote:
This is a known problem.
Is there any clarity about this? I thought you could travel with the old residence permit as long as it is up to date? eea-route-applications/travelling-with- ... l#p2020083
Look at the dates in which the posts were written (mid April).

I think @vinny is just referring to the first post on the link. The second post was relevant then, and applied before the Home Office announced at the end of April that old EEA RCs would expire on June 30th 2021, and therefore everyone should replace their card (not anymore).
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

dialectic

Post by dialectic » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:42 pm

kamoe wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:27 pm
dialectic wrote:
vinny wrote:
This is a known problem.

I think @vinny is just referring to the first post on the link. The second post was relevant then, and applied before the Home Office announced at the end of April that old EEA RCs would expire on June 30th 2021, and therefore everyone should replace their card (not anymore).
Thanks!. So in summary. People with settled or pre-settled status holding old EEA RCs should not worry about this?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:48 pm

dialectic wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:42 pm
kamoe wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:27 pm
dialectic wrote:
vinny wrote:
This is a known problem.

Thanks!. So in summary. People with settled or pre-settled status holding old EEA RCs should not worry about this?
As long as the printed expiration on their cards has not passed, no worries, all good.

nearl
Newly Registered

Post by nearl » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:21 pm

thank you all for you answers,

does anyone know if there is an expedited/premium service to apply for EUSS Family Permit ?

nearl
Newly Registered

Post by nearl » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:08 pm

another question please regarding supporting documents for this euss family permit,

this is the category we are applying for :
I confirm I am not in the UK, already hold 'pre-settled' or 'settled status' under the EU Settlement Scheme and require a travel permit to enter the UK because my biometric residence card has been lost, damaged, stolen or it has expired

but in the documents checklist they are only requiring these documents:
- non EEA passport and Id card
- If your BRC has been lost or stolen, a police report. (Not my case, as my BRC was expired not lost or stolen)

so it seems weird that they are not asking for my expired BRC or my settlement decision letter as evidences ...
also is there a need to report my BRC as expired to Home office ? should I do before applying to euss family permit ?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:37 pm

nearl wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:08 pm
so it seems weird that they are not asking for my expired BRC or my settlement decision letter as evidences ...
Why is that weird? They require evidence of the information they cannot already check themselves. I see no issue here.
also is there a need to report my BRC as expired to Home office ? should I do before applying to euss family permit ?
You report a crime, you do not report an expired document. You are overthinking this a bit. But if you are losing sleep over this, just send a copy of your expired card.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:53 pm

nearl wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:08 pm
another question please regarding supporting documents for this euss family permit,

this is the category we are applying for :
I confirm I am not in the UK, already hold 'pre-settled' or 'settled status' under the EU Settlement Scheme and require a travel permit to enter the UK because my biometric residence card has been lost, damaged, stolen or it has expired

but in the documents checklist they are only requiring these documents:
- non EEA passport and Id card
- If your BRC has been lost or stolen, a police report. (Not my case, as my BRC was expired not lost or stolen)

My advise is simply to ensure you have a physical evidence of residence when you travel out of the UK to avoid disruption. The UK does not like migrant a lot, it operates an hostile environment policy against migrant, so do not expect an easy ride. There is no reason to report an expired BRP, as the previous contributor alluded, an expired BRP is something they are already aware of, so no need to inform them.
Apply for the permit, return back and avoid this trap in future.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

a.s.b.o
- thin ice -

Post by a.s.b.o » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:15 pm

Obie wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:53 pm

The UK does not like migrant a lot, it operates an hostile environment policy against migrant, so do not expect an easy ride.
I think there is a gulf between the 'settled foreign nationals' and 'migrants'. UK discourse appears to conflate a yet non-contributing alien arriving at doorsteps with a (potentially) integrated member of the UK society and who is frequently a well-contributing tax payer.

Jannet
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Jannet » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:13 pm

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if this person as been able to get back into the UK ?

Jannet
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Jannet » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi Neal have you been able to re enter the UK ? I am I. Same situation been waiting for replacement visa for 6 months, pls let me know of your update.