ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Voided and re-directed?!?!?!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

I’m British by descent my daughter is Canadian and we are planning to move to Scotland 2021

Post by hlassell » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:11 pm

I’m lost trying to figure out if I have to apply for a visa for her or not? We both still live in Canada right now. I have my citizenship (April 2019) and my passport (May 2019) already. Via my Scottish born mother.

If anyone can let me know if there is a visa I must apply for before we go? Or if we go and then apply for settled status for her? Since she can travel there for 6 months without any visa.

Thanks in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: I’m British by descent my daughter is Canadian and we are planning to move to Scotland 2021

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 pm

She doesn't qualify for "settled status", which is a status granted under appendix EU for family of EU (non British) citizens.

Your should apply for and be granted a child settlement visa before travelling to the uk. She should be granted indefinite leave to enter. Where is her other parent??

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/child
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Re: I’m British by descent my daughter is Canadian and we are planning to move to Scotland 2021

Post by hlassell » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 pm
She doesn't qualify for "settled status", which is a status granted under appendix EU for family of EU (non British) citizens.

Your should apply for and be granted a child settlement visa before travelling to the uk. She should be granted indefinite leave to enter. Where is her other parent??

Thank you. I was trying with the website answering the questions of what visa and that’s where it took me? 🤦🏼‍♀️

I have sole custody. Other parent gave up rights

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:43 pm

CR001 wrote:

Another question because I don’t understand the wording on that page. I’m in the section for applying outside the U.K.

She isn’t “applying at the same time as your parent” because I am a citizen and don’t have to apply for anything.

The next section says “apply seperately”. It gives info about which form to fill out if “your parent is applying to enter the U.K. as a partner of one of the following” but again I’m the citizen. No partner. 🤷🏼‍♀️

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:56 pm

hlassell wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:32 pm
I have sole custody. Other parent gave up rights
You will need official evidence of this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:58 pm

hlassell wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:43 pm
CR001 wrote:

Another question because I don’t understand the wording on that page. I’m in the section for applying outside the U.K.

She isn’t “applying at the same time as your parent” because I am a citizen and don’t have to apply for anything.

The next section says “apply seperately”. It gives info about which form to fill out if “your parent is applying to enter the U.K. as a partner of one of the following” but again I’m the citizen. No partner. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Are you selecting appendix FM or the options below?
If they are not, you must fill in both:

the online application form
the Appendix 1 paper form
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:22 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:58 pm
hlassell wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:43 pm
CR001 wrote:

Are you selecting appendix FM or the options below?
If they are not, you must fill in both:

the online application form
the Appendix 1 paper form
I wasn’t. Now that I’m there I seem to be ok. The questions I have to answer “other” and fill in the info for things like our current residence. Since I own it not my 14 year old.

And yes I have all the court documents from our divorce and custody. I have to keep them with me whenever we travel as border security usually asks to see them since the other parent isn’t traveling with us.

Thank you for your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm

Great stuff. Feel free to ask any further questions in this thread if you hit a bump.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:42 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm
Great stuff. Feel free to ask any further questions in this thread if you hit a bump.
Thank you. I definitely will!

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:46 am

CR001 wrote:
Ok so circumstances have changed since this post. I've been in touch with a cousin in Scotland who (after meeting and we got along great!) invited us to live at his house. Once I sell my Canadian house I will be going over and getting settled. Staying with the cousin, finding a job, getting bank account, etc. So for my daughter to come over (she will only be 15) what do I need to apply for? (Sorry to ask again I just don't get that website). My son will be 18 and he's applying for the ancestry visa. That part was easy. Makes me wish my daughter was 17!

So to recap I am a British Citizen (I hold my passport already) and I will be there first. She will be with my parents until the visa goes through and then they will come over for a visit and bring her (and my son) with them. His visa is taken care of. I just need help with what I have to apply for her to be able to live in Scotland and attend school.

Thank you for your help! <3

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:06 am

CR001 wrote:

For your daughter it is the same visa link I have provided before.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:52 am

I think she may apply under 297, subject to sole responsibility, etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:41 am

vinny wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:52 am
I think she may apply under 297, subject to sole responsibility, etc.
I'm not sure what that means.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:51 am

Click on the above links for more information.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:47 am

Ok I officially understand which visa I need to apply for. Thank you! :D

What I am trying to understand now is how to plan the timing. We want to move by July 1st. My daughter needs the dependent visa which I understand takes about 3 months for a decision? And my son needs the ancestry visa which I understand takes only about 3 weeks for a decision.

1. Once I apply for each visa do we have to do the biometrics immediately? Our major issue is we are in Manitoba and the closest biometrics place is in Alberta (12+hr drive each way) so my main concern is being able to do both of their biometrics at the same time so that we only have to make one trip.

2a. Is there a way to do it a few months before our move? Like do we tell them when we plan to move?
2b. Or once approved do they only give us a window of a set amount of time to enter the UK?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 pm

hlassell wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:47 am

What I am trying to understand now is how to plan the timing. We want to move by July 1st. My daughter needs the dependent visa which I understand takes about 3 months for a decision? And my son needs the ancestry visa which I understand takes only about 3 weeks for a decision.

1. Once I apply for each visa do we have to do the biometrics immediately? Our major issue is we are in Manitoba and the closest biometrics place is in Alberta (12+hr drive each way) so my main concern is being able to do both of their biometrics at the same time so that we only have to make one trip.

2a. Is there a way to do it a few months before our move? Like do we tell them when we plan to move?
2b. Or once approved do they only give us a window of a set amount of time to enter the UK?

1. Usually upon submission of application, theoretically there is some time limit, during which the biometrics must be enrolled and for this you need to actually enquire from your local vfs centre. But just for a raw reference, from inside the UK you usually have 2 months of deadline.
2. Yes you can disclose your intended date of travel which desirably should be within 3 months from the date of application.
3. Pre-covid19 it was 30 days which now is elongated to about 90 days.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:24 am

seagul wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 pm
hlassell wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:47 am

1. Usually upon submission of application, theoretically there is some time limit, during which the biometrics must be enrolled and for this you need to actually enquire from your local vfs centre. But just for a raw reference, from inside the UK you usually have 2 months of deadline.
2. Yes you can disclose your intended date of travel which desirably should be within 3 months from the date of application.
3. Pre-covid19 it was 30 days which now is elongated to about 90 days.
This info is specifically for the Ancestry visa correct? So instead of taking about a month it's now taking about 3?

I wonder about the dependent visa then....it's supposed to take about 3 months also....but does this mean it's also taking months more?

Her biometrics for the dependent visa have to be done WITHIN 30 days of us moving so that's why this is so complicated.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:29 pm

Is anyone able to direct me to where I can get an idea of how long the Ancestry and the Dependent Visa's are taking?

We hope to be moving over by July 2021. At this point I'm not sure when to apply for each as I don't want to wait too long or apply too early.

Also very curious about what I'm supposed to do for the biometrics. I live in Manitoba and the nearest is in Alberta (12hrs drive away) during covid times when we're being asked not to travel out of province.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:01 am

CR001 wrote:
Ok I have applied and paid the fee. Eek! I'm currently working on getting all the documents together to scan soon. Here is where I am lost. This app is for my 15 year old daughter. "The Non British child of a parent who is a British Citizen"

So in the appendix VAF4A when I get to the section about the sponsor I am confused as heck. I thought I was her sponsor but when I get to PART 2 "Your Sponsor's Financial Circumstances"...? Its asking what my job is and my NIN number. But I'm not in the UK yet. I will be going in July. I have had my citizenship and passport for 2 years already.

So I thought I just put in unemployed (since I will be until I get my NIN number) but when we get to 2.14 it wants to know "how much does your sponsor spend each month in living costs" it will be not much as my cousin has agreed to let us live with him. I'm just gonna contribute to bills and food. But we have nothing set so far. He isn't asking for rent and we have no rental agreement.

2.17 asks about a Sponsorship Undertaking form and that form wants the sponsors full address and NIN (plus supporting documents such as a bill or council tax letter...?)

I know that's a lot. If you can help me I would be so appreciative!

-Heather

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:16 am

CR001 wrote:
Ok ignore the above. Stupid me had printed out the VAF4A form (for north korea only) DUH!

I've applied online, done the IHS thing (said $0), paid the fee for the Visa and booked her biometrics.

I have just printed Appendix 2.

I am British (with passport) received via UKM

I am still living in Canada with my daughter and we plan to (hopefully) move to Scotland in July 2021. (which I indicated on her application)

I am lost on Appendix 2:

"On what basis are you going to the UK? Put a cross (x) in the relevant box
_ As the spouse or civil partner of someone settled in the UK. As the child of a parent who is applying for entry clearance
_as a partner or the child who is applying to join their parent
who is already in the UK and has been granted limited leave
as partner granted under the Immigration Rules in force on
09 July 2012.
_As the fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of someone settled
in the UK.
_As the unmarried or same sex partner of someone settled
in the UK. As the Post Flight family member (spouse or civil partner,
unmarried or same-sex partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil
partner or child) of someone with limited leave to enter or
remain in the UK as a ref"

It's none of those? I am not settled in the UK but I am a British Citizen. I only received my citizenship (again via UKM) officially in 2019. (not before 2012).

I see she selects "I am under 18 and the sponsor is my parent" but all the questions in this are about civil partnerships/relationships. They don't seem appropriate for this type of application since its for a child....
" 1.19 Have you lived with your sponsor in a relationship akin to marriage or a civil partnership at any time (including since yourwedding or civil partnership ceremony)?"

Mostly confused about the financial part:
"Some applicants including children will need to meet a different maintenance requirement and if that applies they will need to complete Part 4 instead of this section. Full guidance can be found on the Home Office website."

I'm not in the UK yet so I don't have a NIN or a job or anything. I have savings in my bank account that I can provide statements for over the last 4 months. Plus I will have all the money (in june) from the sale of my house and vehicle.

I'm sorry in advance if I'm making this more confusing but I really need help.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:29 am

Do I even have to do the appendix? None of the options fit our situation...

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:36 am

hlassell wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:16 am
I think child requires Appendix 1.
The non-British child of:
  • a parent who has permission to be in the UK as a partner or spouse of a British citizen or person settled in the UK granted permission under the Rules in place before 9 July 2012
  • a parent, parents or relative who are British citizens or settled in the UK
  • a parent granted or currently applying for permission to be in the UK as the parent of a child who is a British citizen, settled in the UK or in the UK with pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • a relative who has limited leave in the UK as a refugee or as the beneficiary of humanitarian protection

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:42 pm

vinny wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:36 am
hlassell wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:16 am
I think child requires Appendix 1.
The non-British child of:
  • a parent who has permission to be in the UK as a partner or spouse of a British citizen or person settled in the UK granted permission under the Rules in place before 9 July 2012
  • a parent, parents or relative who are British citizens or settled in the UK
  • a parent granted or currently applying for permission to be in the UK as the parent of a child who is a British citizen, settled in the UK or in the UK with pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • a relative who has limited leave in the UK as a refugee or as the beneficiary of humanitarian protection
Yes thank you I think that's totally right. I'm still lost on the financial stuff though.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:50 am

Adequate maintenance and accommodation, etc., required.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:48 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:50 am
Adequate maintenance and accommodation, etc., required.
Someone scared me and said I need 16000 pounds?! But I can't find that. It looks like that has to do with another visa.

I currently have 5000 pounds in my bank account and have had for 4+ months. I will be selling my house (so the difference from the mortgage will be mine) as well as my vehicle and almost all my belongings. We are staying with my cousin who is mortgage free and has asked me for nothing more than a share of the household bills. Im just unsure what documents I should include to make sure her visa isn't rejected.

For the house would the assessment be useful? I have a friend planning to buy it but we haven't done anything official since I told her possession date won't be till july 1st. Another friend is buying my Jeep so that will give me another 9000 pounds. So just my bank account and vehicle would put me over 14000.

I tend to overthink and I couldn't even sleep last night cause I worked myself up so much. I appreciate your replies so much.