ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Patronymic in Cyrillic alphabet only and "given names" AN1 section

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Viny08
Newly Registered
Russia

Patronymic in Cyrillic alphabet only and "given names" AN1 section

Post by Viny08 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:42 am

Hi everyone,
Hope someone here can advise on what would be the best way to approach "given names" question in AN1 online application form given my situation:
In my Russian external passport there are only my Name and Surname written in both Russian & English (Transliterated), while my Patronymic is only written in Cyrillic alphabet.
For consistency with English Transliteration of my Russian passport, I’m inclined to include only my name in “given names” section of AN1 application form, although description provided in this section suggest that I may need to include patronymic into “given names” section.
My current ILR has my name, patronymic and surname. Reason for this, ILR application form probably had more explicit requirements on including patronymic in “given names”.
My previous BRPs (I had two of those before ILR was granted) have my name stated differently: first BRP was issued with Name, Patronymic and Surname while second (later) BRP was issued with Name and Surname only.
I might be overthinking this, yet I would be very grateful to know Gurus’ opinions on whether my Patronymic should be included in “given names” section of AN1 application form.

secret.simon

Re: Patronymic in Cyrillic alphabet only and "given names" AN1 section

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:24 am

I have a patronym in my name (in the Latin script) and for all formal purposes (from birth certificate to school certificates to ILR BRP and all passports), it has been treated as a given name.

It is easier that way, as the UK and other western Anglophonic countries do not have the concept of patronym as a routine part of a person's name.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Mrsdoc
inactive

Re: Patronymic in Cyrillic alphabet only and "given names" AN1 section

Post by Mrsdoc » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:13 am

Viny08 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:42 am
Hi everyone,
Hope someone here can advise on what would be the best way to approach "given names" question in AN1 online application form given my situation:
In my Russian external passport there are only my Name and Surname written in both Russian & English (Transliterated), while my Patronymic is only written in Cyrillic alphabet.
For consistency with English Transliteration of my Russian passport, I’m inclined to include only my name in “given names” section of AN1 application form, although description provided in this section suggest that I may need to include patronymic into “given names” section.
My current ILR has my name, patronymic and surname. Reason for this, ILR application form probably had more explicit requirements on including patronymic in “given names”.
My previous BRPs (I had two of those before ILR was granted) have my name stated differently: first BRP was issued with Name, Patronymic and Surname while second (later) BRP was issued with Name and Surname only.
I might be overthinking this, yet I would be very grateful to know Gurus’ opinions on whether my Patronymic should be included in “given names” section of AN1 application form.
Hi Viny08,
I’m not a Guru but thought to share my experience with a similar situation. I’m from one of the post-Soviet Union republics where we also use patronymic names (Отчество) but in our internal IDs only but in my marriage and in my old USSR birth certificates which translated copies were submitted as part of my Naturalisation application I do have patronymic name which was in fact transliterated from Cyrillic to Latin.
Luckily, in our travel passports we only have Given name and Surname.
I didn’t mention my patronymic during my application and I had no problem with it.
Indeed,in Russian passports you do have your patronymic in Cyrillic next to the Given name which is transliterated in English but I wouldn’t over think about it and just go ahead with a given name and a surname only.
Hope it helps and wishing you all the best.