ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is our status exactly? My visa sticker says migrant

Only for the Global Talent visa, formerly known as Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

messengercrow
inactive
Iran

What is our status exactly? My visa sticker says migrant

Post by messengercrow » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:55 pm

So on my visa status it is written GLOBAL TALENT MIGRANT.

The word migrant, however, may have a different meaning depending on the country you go to. In Canada, a migrant gets PR on arrival and then passport after a five years. Here in the UK, we may get ILR in 3 years, I have been told. But what other things are we entitled to? I mean, the government website does not clearly say what we can do. Can we buy a property? Can we get mortgage? When can we get passport?

The other important thing that I want to know is, are we supposed to stick to a particular profession that we got our visa with? For example, I am a biologist and I was an assistant professor in my country of origin. Now I work for a vaccine research institute and I publish scientific articles. However, the salary is low and I have found a better job in a private laboratory. Can I switch to a non-academic job?

I have only applied for a 2-year GTV visa via Royal Society, because it was expensive. After 2 years I need to apply for extension. Does my profession need to be in academics when I re-apply?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What is our status exactly? My visa sticker says migrant

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:02 pm

But what other things are we entitled to? I mean, the government website does not clearly say what we can do. Can we buy a property? Can we get mortgage?
Nothing restricts you from buying a property or getting a mortgage, no guarantee you will get a mortgage though. Not sure what you mean by 'entitled to'. You are allowed to work, rent or buy, travel etc. You can't claim benefits.
When can we get passport?
Only a British citizen can apply for a British passport. You need to naturalise as British before you can get a passport. To naturalise, requires 5 years residence and at least 12 months on ILR if you are not married to a British citizen.
The other important thing that I want to know is, are we supposed to stick to a particular profession that we got our visa with? For example, I am a biologist and I was an assistant professor in my country of origin. Now I work for a vaccine research institute and I publish scientific articles. However, the salary is low and I have found a better job in a private laboratory. Can I switch to a non-academic job?
It is likely based on your endorsement. Note that if endorsement is withdrawn, you no longer qualify for the visa or ILR.

https://www.gov.uk/global-talent/extend-your-visa
You must be able to show that you earned money in your expert field during your time in the UK by sending evidence toward your application, for example payslips.

If you want to stay longer in the UK
You may be able to get indefinite leave to remain so you can settle in the UK after 3 or 5 years, depending on which field you work in and how you apply. This gives you the right to live, work and study here for as long as you like, and apply for benefits if you’re eligible.
I have only applied for a 2-year GTV visa via Royal Society, because it was expensive. After 2 years I need to apply for extension. Does my profession need to be in academics when I re-apply?
See answer above.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:25 am

To add to CR001's response, you can (i.e. you are permitted to) purchase property and apply for a mortgage. However, keep in mind that banks and other financial institutions will have your migrant status in mind and may insist that you have at least ILR before applying for a mortgage. That is not a government rule, but the banks looking after their money.

As you have been sponsored by the Royal Society (and provided you do not change your visa status), you are eligible to apply for ILR after 3 years and for naturalisation/British citizenship 5 years after arrival in the UK (assuming that you are not married to a British citizen). You can apply for a British passport after you have been naturalised.

Assuming that you are Iranian (based on your profile flag), keep in mind that having a British passport may not help you in that country (see the ongoing saga of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

messengercrow
inactive
Iran

Post by messengercrow » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:52 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:02 pm

It is likely based on your endorsement. Note that if endorsement is withdrawn, you no longer qualify for the visa or ILR.

https://www.gov.uk/global-talent/extend-your-visa
Why would they withdraw? I am not sure how this works. For example, I am working in a private cancer research institute and am publishing scientific articles. It has no ties to the government and gets funding from private organizations. The pay is low and therefore, I want to go work for a biotech company that gives a better salary. Will my endorsement be withdrawn? why?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:26 pm

The terms and conditions of the endorsement by the Royal Society for your Global Talent visa are a matter for the Royal Society. Perhaps you should start by asking them what the terms and conditions are. Are you allowed to work for anybody of your choice? Do they mandate a certain amount of research publications, etc? What are the circumstances under which their endorsement can be withdrawn? Would you be notified if that were to happen? These are not standard immigration questions but specific to the Royal Society. You should aim the questions at them.

EDIT: The Royal Society website's FAQs for Global Talent Visa gives a lot of detailed information that may be of interest to you. That may answer some of your questions. But again, as mentioned, the modalities and requirements of the endorsement and its withdrawal are best answered by them.
Can I apply for a Global Talent visa to be employed or hosted at any UK organisation?

Route 2 (Individual fellowships) and Route 4 (Peer review) do not list specific employing or host organisations. Route 1 (Academic and research appointments) and Route 3 (Endorsed funders) are only open to applicants being employed or hosted at an organisation on the approved lists. Holders of certain prestigious prizes can apply for a Global Talent visa without going through the initial endorsement stage and do not need to be employed or hosted at a specific organisation.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

messengercrow
inactive
Iran

Post by messengercrow » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:26 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:26 pm
EDIT: The Royal Society website's FAQs for Global Talent Visa gives a lot of detailed information that may be of interest to you. That may answer some of your questions. But again, as mentioned, the modalities and requirements of the endorsement and its withdrawal are best answered by them.
I have read the FAQ. It does not answer my question, unfortunately. I need to call them. However, I think they are relaxed about this because there is worker shortage in the UK currently.

messengercrow
inactive
Iran

Post by messengercrow » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:51 am

Guys, what is the Royal Society email that we need to contact regarding GTV?

or what is their phone number?